2011 GT vs 2012 C6 Grand Sport

Ivan 5.0

Established Member
So my buddy has a brand new, C6 Grand Sport Vette w/ the performance exhaust from the factory. We did a few rolls... started out at 40MPH for a few runs, and started out around 60 for a few; didn't do any digs.

Anyways, his car would slowly pull on me regardless of what gear I was in or what speed we were going. Nothing drastic, say 1/2 car max at faster speeds.

I have the following mods: C&L Air Intake System, Stainless Works Full Exhaust (1-7/8" LTs, catless XP, and catback exhaust), and Livernois tune. The car is a manual w/ 3.55 gears.

Does this sound right to ya'll?

CobraKid04

Established Member
sounds legit to me.

what did your car put down? M6 LS3 dyno stock around 380-400rwhp.

are a bit heavier than the base vette at around 3320lbs.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
sounds legit to me.

what did your car put down? M6 LS3 dyno stock around 380-400rwhp.

are a bit heavier than the base vette at around 3320lbs.

I thought the GS vette was the base vette or did I read your post wrong if so sorry:shrug:

NinjaBum

Established Member
I thought the GS vette was the base vette or did I read your post wrong if so sorry:shrug:

Grand Sport is otherwise known as the wide body. It's more expensive than the base C6 and has some extra flash added to the exterior. It does add extra weight which makes them the slowest stock LS3-powered corvette. It's amusing cause GS guys sometimes act as if their car is better than base c6 vehicles, when it's in fact slower.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Grand Sport is otherwise known as the wide body. It's more expensive than the base C6 and has some extra flash added to the exterior. It does add extra weight which makes them the slowest stock LS3-powered corvette. It's amusing cause GS guys sometimes act as if their car is better than base c6 vehicles, when it's in fact slower.

Very true!

It also uses the Z51 tranny ratios, so it's quicker from dig.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
The Grand Sport manual cars also have the dry sump oil system from the Z06/ZR1.

Beat me to it. That's what really sets it apart. Suppose to be able to pull better lap times and keep the oil there. I know it takes a few cues from the Z, also has the brakes if I'm not mistaken.

03CobraBro

Established Member

I've noticed this too... not even a difference in suspension. The sad thing about it is for less than 5 grand more they could have just picked up a Z06 and put an end to the debate altogether.

Jayls5

Established Member
I've noticed this too... not even a difference in suspension. The sad thing about it is for less than 5 grand more they could have just picked up a Z06 and put an end to the debate altogether.

They have different gears over the base, improved suspension over base (with some Z06 parts), Z06 sized brakes, dry sump oil system, Z06 body work (improves brake cooling), larger wheels/tires.

Basically, it's a Z06 with these differences: Dry sump LS3 engine, heavier steel base frame and fiberglass body, removable roof, and has auto trans option.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
i honestly think the GS is a tad bit slower than a base model C6 from a roll . I think the base option C6's still weight around 3200 which is about 120 lbs lighter . Better aero drag too ? someone will have to comment on that , not sure

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
i honestly think the GS is a tad bit slower than a base model C6 from a roll . I think the base option C6's still weight around 3200 which is about 120 lbs lighter . Better aero drag too ? someone will have to comment on that , not sure

You are correct. IIRC the Z/ZR/GS Drag Co. is .31 and the base C6 is .29

Users who are viewing this thread