2011 GT500 2.6" pulley belt slip?

sikryd

Established Member
So I just upgraded the following on my car and I think I am getting belt slip.

2.6" pulley
additional idler pulley
spark plugs
Afco dual fan H/E
JLT carbon fiber intake tube
2 JLT pcv oil catch cans

I think that I am getting some belt slip when at boost. The stock boost gauge climbs very quickly to 13 lbs, then seems to drop to 9 and climbs back up to 13. Anyone have any experience with these types of upgrades, and if you experienced belt slippage? I don't hear any noise from the belt when I am at idle. If I slowly apply the throttle, it seems to be less of an issue. When I give it the beans, that is mostly when I see the problem.

Tucker

This should be very hard and dangerous to watch while driving. The best thing to do is get it on a dyno to get a good long 4th gear pull to see.

If you have the Metco idler you have 3 spots to adjust it too. It comes in the middle, but it can get tighter.

Jay

sikryd

Established Member
Not sure what idler I have, it came with the kit I bought from Evolution Performance. I did not check if the idler could be moved or not. I will give evolution a call sometime today.
+1 on dyno time, I need to look into that.

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
With the engine turned off. Open the hood. Swipe your fingers or a white rag/cloth around the pulley area in a 10" radius. see if you have fresh dust. Great indicator !!

sikryd

Established Member
With the engine turned off. Open the hood. Swipe your fingers or a white rag/cloth around the pulley area in a 10" radius. see if you have fresh dust. Great indicator !!

Evolution said that its the crappy stock boost gauge and not belt slip. I will give the wipe method a try after work, thanks for the type. Seems obvious now having hind site...

Wouldn't you be able to hear the belt squeal when/if it slips?

Not when you are under power... The engine, supercharger and exhaust is dang loud when getting on the throttle hard.

islander033

Established Member
...Not when you are under power... The engine, supercharger and exhaust is dang loud when getting on the throttle hard.

Right on. I could hear it slip on my Saleen before I upgraded idlers for better belt wrap and that thing was loud as hell...lol. My Shelby is way quieter in comparison.

Hope it is just the stock gauge and everything is cool.:beer:

sikryd

Established Member
Right on. I could hear it slip on my Saleen before I upgraded idlers for better belt wrap and that thing was loud as hell...lol. My Shelby is way quieter in comparison.

Hope it is just the stock gauge and everything is cool.:beer:

Could very well be that it's not slipping...
I spoke to Evolution, and they said the idler I have is adjustable. I think I'm going to dyno the car, that will tell me if there is actually any slip. My next purchase will probably be a gauge pod, boost gauge and A/F ratio gauge. If it turns out that there is slip, I will push the idler towards the drivers side and see if that helps. I'm just worried that too much tension will lead to premature bearing failure on something.

sikryd

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread