2011 GT500 Cant hear Supercharger whine

Saikodi

Established Member
Hi folks,

I just got a 2011 GT500. It already has 9200 miles on it. I rode it a bit today but couldnt hear the Supercharger whine. It came up just once and was very little.

This was the same thing with my previous 2012 as well. It used to come up rarely and even when it did, it was real low sound.

So how do I make it whine louder? I see other threads suggesting:
1. Resonator Eliminator Kit: Ford Racing GT500 Resonator Eliminator Kit - Revan Racing, Inc.

2. JLT 127mm Cold Air Intake: JLT CF Big Air Intake (2010-14 GT500) Computer Tuning Required [CFCAI127-GT500-10] - $469.00 : JLT PERFORMANCE, Home of the JLT TRUE COLD AIR KIT

3. 2.6 SuperCharger Pulley: METCO 2.6 SUPERCHARGER PULLEY (2007-12 GT500) [MI-MSP2.60] - $144.95 : JLT PERFORMANCE, Home of the JLT TRUE COLD AIR KIT

I want to know your experience on what you all did to make it whine more.

Thanks!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
A resonator delete and AiRaid filter will be a good cheap start, pulley will make a big difference, ported blower will scream.

Saikodi

Established Member
A resonator delete and AiRaid filter will be a good cheap start, pulley will make a big difference, ported blower will scream.

I am actually planning on doing all 3 - resonator delete, a JLT 127 mm CAI and the 2.6 pulley.

Are you saying AiRaid filter is better than the JLT? I heard the other way round.

What is a ported blower? I am a little ignorant when it comes to mods. Just getting started. Can you please explain?

And will these changes work for a 2011 GT500? I noticed the 07-09 are super loud but I feel the 2011 and 2012 both are quiet. Now that I have driven the 07, '11 and the '12 I can confidently say the 09 (with the CAI and the pulley change) was quite loud.

Please suggest.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
The 07-09 cars didn't have the resonator in the air intake or the hood insulation as mentioned which made them considerably louder stock. The jlt filter will be just as good as the AiRaid, porting the blower consists of taking apart the case and having the sides shaved down and smoothed out as well as the elbow. It's usually good for 25-40 whp depending on your boost level. Fyi, don't waste your time on a 2.6 get a 2.5 or a modified snout will accept a 2.4 which is what I have on my car.

gallopingford

Hi, my name is Cam
Established Member
I am actually planning on doing all 3 - resonator delete, a JLT 127 mm CAI and the 2.6 pulley.

The JLT CAI is an intake tube/filter kit, which is a straight tube with no resonator. The resonator delete is just for the stock inlet tube.

What we can suggest depends on what you want out of the car... do you want to make more power? do you want to tune it?

Last edited:

Saikodi

Established Member
The JLT CAI is an intake tube/filter kit, which is a straight tube with no resonator. The resonator delete is just for the stock inlet tube.

What we can suggest depends on what you want out of the car... do you want to make more power? do you want to tune it?

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, I do want more power. And Yes I do want to tune it. I dont want to stay stock.

So based on this what I understand is if I go for the JLT CAI, I dont need the resonator delete any more since thats more for the stock intake. Is that statement accurate?

Saikodi

Established Member
The 07-09 cars didn't have the resonator in the air intake or the hood insulation as mentioned which made them considerably louder stock. The jlt filter will be just as good as the AiRaid, porting the blower consists of taking apart the case and having the sides shaved down and smoothed out as well as the elbow. It's usually good for 25-40 whp depending on your boost level. Fyi, don't waste your time on a 2.6 get a 2.5 or a modified snout will accept a 2.4 which is what I have on my car.

Hmm. Everywhere I see people seem to be going for the 2.6 pulley. Are you referring to this one: 2.4" pulley bolt-on ring for TVS Supercharged Shelby GT500's with VMP 6-bolt Hub: VMP Tuning - Superchargers, Tuners, Custom Tunes, & Performance Parts

I guess I need to talk to someone before I do anything. There seem to be too many options. And I think I also need to have a plan as to where I am headed so that these upgrades all fall into place one after the other.

Do I call one of the vendors listed here to get a better understanding of the options available and the pathway to glory? SO I dont take foolish decisions? ;-)

Kenneth

Established Member
Thanks for clarifying. Yes, I do want more power. And Yes I do want to tune it. I dont want to stay stock.

So based on this what I understand is if I go for the JLT CAI, I dont need the resonator delete any more since thats more for the stock intake. Is that statement accurate?

Correct
If you add the JLT you don't need the resonator delete.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Hmm. Everywhere I see people seem to be going for the 2.6 pulley. Are you referring to this one: 2.4" pulley bolt-on ring for TVS Supercharged Shelby GT500's with VMP 6-bolt Hub: VMP Tuning - Superchargers, Tuners, Custom Tunes, & Performance Parts

I guess I need to talk to someone before I do anything. There seem to be too many options. And I think I also need to have a plan as to where I am headed so that these upgrades all fall into place one after the other.

Do I call one of the vendors listed here to get a better understanding of the options available and the pathway to glory? SO I dont take foolish decisions? ;-)

You don't really see anyone doing a 2.6 upper anymore unless they're doing a lower and trying to keep boost down. Since your new to the process it would be a good idea to call Van at revan racing or Vmp tuning. Just remember before you add tons of power, get some better tires to hook up or it's pointless and you need additional cooling or the car will get hot quick.

Saikodi

Established Member
You don't really see anyone doing a 2.6 upper anymore unless they're doing a lower and trying to keep boost down. Since your new to the process it would be a good idea to call Van at revan racing or Vmp tuning. Just remember before you add tons of power, get some better tires to hook up or it's pointless and you need additional cooling or the car will get hot quick.

Ok got it. I will try to reach out to Revan Racing and see what they suggest. I agree with the tires and additional cooling.

I think getting some professional advice is good and will help me get educated a bit. :) Thanks!

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
Is the hood insulation that good? I actually had my windows slightly open today but didnt hear much. So I am wondering if removing the insulation really matters?

Every little bit helps if you wanna hear the blower.

Saikodi

Established Member
Every little bit helps if you wanna hear the blower.

Ok. I understand. I will keep this towards the end though. Also, I was reading elsewhere that it takes about 5 continuous miles for the 2010+ models for the superchargers to get activated. Is that true? If so, that would also explain it since I didnt go 5+ miles.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Ok. I understand. I will keep this towards the end though. Also, I was reading elsewhere that it takes about 5 continuous miles for the 2010+ models for the superchargers to get activated. Is that true? If so, that would also explain it since I didnt go 5+ miles.

That is false.

Maybe you just are not pushing your Shelby hard enough.

The Supercharger Boost increases as your RPM's climb.

You will not hear, nor is your Supercharger really doing anything at low RPM's.

Have you drove your Shelby WOT (wide open throttle)? Your Boost gauge should climb to around 8 lbs of boost.

On the highway, at about 50-60 mph, drop it into third gear and go WOT, you will definitely hear the Supercharger whine.

Last edited:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Doesn't the blower snout have to be machined to make the 2.4 upper work? Just another thing to keep in mind.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
try this test

DSC_0033.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread