2011 GT500 shuts off on the highway in 6th

SVTrojan

Established Member
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can help me diagnose an issue I have had with my 2011 GT500. I will be driving in 6th and coasting (60+ mph) and notice that my car has turned itself off when I go to give it some gas. This has happened to me three times now. The first two times it happened I thought I was lugging the engine, but I wasn't really going that slow. My car is bone stock aside from an MGW shifter. Anyone have any idea on what it could be? I have an appointment with my Ford dealer on monday, but I'm worried that they won't be able to replicate the issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!

barspen

Established Member
Very strange ...ever changed the fuel filter? Have you checked for a dirty MAF sensor?

SVTrojan

Established Member
how many miles on the car?
about 31,000. I bought it with 27k on the clock, so I'm nervous about what the previous owner may have done or how he may have driven it.

Check for fault codes. Autozone has free scanners.
That's a good idea! How long would a code be stored? The last incident happened last Saturday.

Very strange ...ever changed the fuel filter? Have you checked for a dirty MAF sensor?
I'll check the MAF, I've never changed a fuel filter. How accessible is it?

barspen

Established Member
I've never changed a fuel filter. How accessible is it?

Under driver side door, next to the frame rail...Here's a quick "how-to" I wrote up a while back on TS...http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/83430-fuel-filter-replacement-nice-improvement-in-throttle-response/. I couldn't believe the color of the fuel (dark brown) on the first change. I make it a part of yearly maintenance now. 45 minutes and $12 is worth it.

BTW, I have no idea if this has anything to do with your issue, but it's possible based on your symptoms. Wish you luck in getting it fixed!

nxhappy

Established Member
weird. I haven't heard of any cases like this.

Just a hunch.....are your battery terminals clean, and is everything nice and tight?

99SSls1

Established Member
I have had problems like this when I was swapping tb's around. I never get into 6th really so can't say that but when you come off the throttle in 6th or any gear mine would just turn off. It was my tb's causing it. Clean it and do a relearning on it. Time for a good cleaning on the intake track anyway.

SVTrojan

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'll check the tb and terminals and everything else this weekend. 99ssls1, what do you mean by doing a relearning on the tb?

99SSls1

Established Member
There is a process, some leave the light switch on and unhook the battery. I just swapped battery's and mine had to relearn its idle again. Took about 30 miles for my idle to start acting normal again.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
There's an elaborate drive cycle you can go through if you want it to re-learn in a hurry, but just doing your normal driving routine will get it to re-learn within a day.

How fast are you going when you're coasting? One time when my car was still stock, I was drying it off with a leaf blower while it was idling. I noticed when I was blowing over the the little "ram air" intake tube in the grille, the engine would start lugging. I pointed the leaf blower at it for a few seconds and the engine shut off. If you're coasting fast enough (in neutral), it might be feeding the engine too much air and the throttle body is trying to compensate by closing off which will shut the engine down.

Last edited:

SVTrojan

Established Member
I'm not sure if I was in neutral or still in gear, but I was going at least 60. That's an interesting idea though, thanks!

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can help me diagnose an issue I have had with my 2011 GT500. I will be driving in 6th and coasting (60+ mph) and notice that my car has turned itself off when I go to give it some gas. This has happened to me three times now. The first two times it happened I thought I was lugging the engine, but I wasn't really going that slow. My car is bone stock aside from an MGW shifter. Anyone have any idea on what it could be? I have an appointment with my Ford dealer on monday, but I'm worried that they won't be able to replicate the issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Glad to learn you’ve made an appointment with your dealer already, SVTrojan. Let me know what they say.

Deysha

SVTrojan

Established Member
Decided to take my intake apart to see how clean it was. I guess I was afraid to look since I doubt the car has had an oil separator on it... Found a ton of oil on the throttle body and in the intake plenum. I can only imagine how saturated the intercooler is. I'll clean out the plenum and throttle body the best I can and order a separator. I'll clean out the intercooler once I have the separator. You think this could have been the cause of my problem?

IMAG0550_zpscwcekrk1.gif
IMAG0551_zpsgvrn3xpq.gif

IMAG0552_zps51yfmvwh.gif

Doc Vegas

Established Member
I'm curious what the pro's say, but that does not look very dirty to me. Mine looked about the same and ran fine. I have an oil separator on mine on the passenger side only, but it has only been on my car the last 2-3k miles of its 21k lifespan.... I really doubt that "dirt" is your issue.

fmylife

Established Member
I've got JLT separators for driver and passenger side. The driver side is still bone dry after 2 months of driving 30+ miles every day. The passenger side is a different story though...that side fills up about a tablespoon every couple of weeks or so.

SVTrojan

Established Member
Really? I was kinda shocked at the build up. I reached back further into the elbow and coated my fingers in oil. You can see some pooled up on the corner in the last picture.

Users who are viewing this thread