2011 GT500 Traction control engaging randomly

Beachboy63

Greetings. Have a 2012 GT500 with just under 35k miles. Having random incidents where the stability control light comes on while driving normally. Happens at highway speeds and at lower speeds, e.g. 35 mph. When the light comes on, throttle inputs don't register. Can push the accelerator to the floor and nothing happens. The light only illuminates for a few seconds and then goes off and the car drives normally. And, again, this happens randomly - sometimes 2 or 3 times during a 20 minute drive and sometimes not at all. Took to the dealer and they replaced the right rear speed sensor but this did not fix the problem. Any thoughts/ideas/advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Vince.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Welcome to SVTP.
Just started doing this or has done it all the time you've owned it ?
Did you make any changes to the car just prior to this starting ??

Beachboy63

This is a recent development and by that I mean it started maybe 1000 miles ago. Prior to that, no issue. The car is completely stock - no mods.

PC03GT

Established Member
This is a recent development and by that I mean it started maybe 1000 miles ago. Prior to that, no issue. The car is completely stock - no mods.
A loose ground will make it go on and off randomly. It happened on my 13 coyote

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Greetings. Have a 2012 GT500 with just under 35k miles. Having random incidents where the stability control light comes on while driving normally. Happens at highway speeds and at lower speeds, e.g. 35 mph. When the light comes on, throttle inputs don't register. Can push the accelerator to the floor and nothing happens. The light only illuminates for a few seconds and then goes off and the car drives normally. And, again, this happens randomly - sometimes 2 or 3 times during a 20 minute drive and sometimes not at all. Took to the dealer and they replaced the right rear speed sensor but this did not fix the problem. Any thoughts/ideas/advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Vince.
Welcome To SVTP Vince! Vinnie B here.....Is there any CMDTC faults that start with a B,C or U code or any other DTC'S at all?

***** I would start focusing on the following related components:

** ABS With Traction Control and Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

The ABS with traction control and Electronic Stability Control (ESC) consists of the following components:

• ABS module — attached to the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) , but can be serviced separately.
  • Front wheel speed sensors — one sensor is located in each front wheel knuckle. The sensors are serviced separately from the knuckle.
  • Front wheel speed sensor tone rings — one tone ring is located on each front wheel hub and is serviced separately from the wheel hub.
  • HCU (Hydraulic Control Unit) — which contains several valves (inlet, outlet, isolation and dump) and the hydraulic pump motor. It is mounted in the LF corner of the engine compartment and can be serviced separately.
  • Rear wheel speed sensors — one sensor is located on each end of the rear axle housing. The sensors are serviced separately from the axle housing.
  • Rear wheel speed sensor tone rings — one tone ring is located on each axle shaft and is serviced separately from the axle shaft.
  • Restraints Control Module (RCM) — located under the rear of the front floor console and contains the yaw rate and lateral accelerometer sensors.
  • Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) located in the steering gear, sends steering angle and rotation information to the ABS module.
  • Stability/traction control switch — is part of the hazard flasher switch plate.

Stability/Traction Control Indicators

There are 2 separate stability/traction control indicators, the stability/traction control indicator and the stability/traction control OFF indicator. Both indicators are located in the IPC message center. The stability/traction control indicator is used to alert the driver that a stability/traction event is taking place (flashes twice per second) and to alert the driver of potential concerns in the AdvanceTrac® system (illuminates continuously). The stability/traction control OFF indicator is used to alert the driver that some or all the AdvanceTrac® system features have been disabled by the driver. This indicator only illuminates continuously and does not flash.

One or both of the stability/traction control indicators may illuminate as a result of momentary sensor disturbances due to environmental or driving conditions (including severe vehicle maneuvers or extreme off road usage). Once Illuminated, the indicator remains illuminated until the environmental or driving condition is no longer present and the ignition is cycled from ON to OFF and then back to ON again. If there are no other concerns, symptoms, indicators or DTCs , the stability/traction control indicator may have been illuminated due to these environmental or driving conditions.

If I was local to you it would be my pleasure to resolve this. Let me know if you need additional support.

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair
PM Me or [email protected]
Website:https: Lightning Fast Electrical Automotive Repair LLC
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
What happens if you turn Advance Track and Traction Control completely off? Will it stay off?

Users who are viewing this thread