2011 NHL Off-Season

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Philly trades Jeff Carter to the Blue Jacket and ships Mike Richards to the Kings

The deals freed up 100 million this year

JPD5801

Established Member
Philly trades Jeff Carter to the Blue Jacket and ships Mike Richards to the Kings

:dw: Are you sure that wasn't $100 million over the duration of the contracts?

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member

i was a bit surprised when i heard these of trades. Columbus made out pretty well

amigrad06

SVT Noob!
Established Member
Captain drunk and the invisible man are now GONE! Carter got moved to create cap space for Bryz. Two long term contracts are gone, and after this coming year both players would have NTC in they're respective contracts. The Flyers got good value in return, and the 8th pick overal in this years draft. Look for Kris Versteeg to get shipped to FL along with that 8th pick for the 3rd overall.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Flyers could have had Tim Thomas last year but were not willing to give up Jeff Carter at the time. I think that non trade worked out well for the Bruins, huh? You know what they say, sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Draft day today. I think the B's will be looking for a skilled defenseman with the #9 overall pick.

ThatOneCobra

Go Ducks !
Established Member
I think bryz's 9yr contract is a bit much. They let go of two long term contracts to make room for another one?? I think something like a 5yr would have been good. But thats just me.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Well, gee Steve, you mean you don't have any confidence in BUOYchuk?

Haha, tough yes, skilled, N O!!!

As for their UFA's, I think they let Kaberle walk but I'm curious to see if Ryder will get an offer from the Bruins at a lower pay and if he would even be willing to take a pay cut. He almost certainly won't get a raise from ANY team from the 4M+ per season that he was making. He's a decent 2 way player but possesses a lethal shot which makes him dangerous anytime he's out there.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
so apparently the new Winnipeg team will be named....wait for it.....

the Winnipeg Jets

amigrad06

SVT Noob!
Established Member
I think bryz's 9yr contract is a bit much. They let go of two long term contracts to make room for another one?? I think something like a 5yr would have been good. But thats just me.

The contract is WAY front loaded, there is no way he is here in 9 years. He'll get:

11/12 season....10 mil
12/13 season....6.5 mil
13/14 season....8 mil
14/15 and the 15/16 seasons each 6 mil
16/17 and 17/18 seasons 5.5 mil
18/19 season.... 2.5 mil
19/20 season....1.25 mil

ThatOneCobra

Go Ducks !
Established Member
The contract is WAY front loaded, there is no way he is here in 9 years. He'll get:

11/12 season....10 mil
12/13 season....6.5 mil
13/14 season....8 mil
14/15 and the 15/16 seasons each 6 mil
16/17 and 17/18 seasons 5.5 mil
18/19 season.... 2.5 mil
19/20 season....1.25 mil

Yea , was kind of thinking the same thing. Im sure each year will pay different.

mysterio

Established Member
Hoping the Bruins get Ryan Murphy at #9. A defenseman some have compared to Bobby Orr.

If that's indeed true, then what's the likelihood of him still being around when pick #9 comes up? But yeah, think how an Irish kid like that would go over in Boston.

On a side note, that Kessel trade that's yielding this extra pick continues to pay dividends.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Im happy with the Flyers picking up Sean Couturier. Between him and Brayden Schenn they have the potential to be better than Carter and Richards.

While i agree the Bryzgalov contract is a but much in terms of 9 years I have heard there is not a NTC so they may ship him after a few years depending on how things pan out. I hope he lives up to what he been made out to be. I watched him a bit in anaheim and phoenix. I've always like him.

awful knawful

Established Member
Not very classy the way the people in attendance booed the Montreal Canadiens staff member when he was speaking french to the folks back in Montreal. He was just wishing them a happy Fête nationale du Québec/Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day.

Users who are viewing this thread