2012 5.0 Auto- Advance Trac kicks in at random killing power and activating braking?

whiteGT

Established Member
I have a 2012 5.0 auto that is stock except for the ford tune, and am having an occasional issue where for no apparent reason the advance trac system kicks in and kills engine power and implements pulsed braking. This has happened about 4 times in 13,000 miles and the dealer tech indicated that if the dash advanced trac light doesn't stay on when i bring it into the dealer they really have no clue where to begin troubleshooting?

The last incident i was driving 50 MPH gradually accelerating to get on the interstate when all of the sudden the car engine started losing power and the drivers side front brake started pulsing on and off... after 10 seconds of this i pulled off to the side of the road, turned the car off and then restarted and drove off like nothing ever took place! Before advance trac kicked in there was not any sliding of the tires, nor skidding, nor dips, nor bumps...

When i had something like this happen at about 8,000 miles with the drivers side rear brakes the tech found the rear axle was slightly out of round (bent) and replaced it and haven't had an issue since then.

Anyone have a trouble with advance trac just kicking in for no apparent reason?

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I only have 4200 miles on mine and luckily have never experienced that.
I would try another dealer. What your describing could be very dangerous under the right circumstances. You have somewhat of a pattern (left side), was the car in an accident? Did you buy it used?

atistang

Established Member
all the tires and wheels the same size?

all your tire pressures set to the sticker on the door?

RodWhite85

Established Member
It's happened to me once at about 6800 miles, same symptoms as the op, pushed the t/c button to turn it off and it stopped and hasn't done it since. Car is totally stock by the way.

whiteGT

Established Member
Original owner of stock car with stock wheels/tires all at 35 psi (cool) never been in a wreck! I will eventually take it into the dealer as if they can't find the problem i at least want to have it show in the service records as a problem again.
Dealer thought the slight warpage in the rear axle was making the sensor get faulty readings last time they addressed this complaint and it was the drivers side rear brakes being triggered.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Had this happen three times. Twice after hard driving and one of those times while in the staging lanes! Heard there was a TSB but I'm tuned.....

JTS_7

Established Member
Had this happen to me today. With my car being pretty modified in many areas a million thoughts ran through my head. Turned into a parking lot shut the car off and it hasn't happened again.

Talked with the guy who tuned my car he advised me to clean the ABS sensors and see if that helps. Either that or one of them has/is going bad.

My symptoms:
Right rear brake pulsing while driving 40-50. Traction and advancetrac lights on and could not turn then off via button.

Users who are viewing this thread