2012 5.0 , Rear End whine on deceleration common?

whiteGT

Established Member
I complained to the dealer about My 2012 5.0 auto with 15k miles having a whining noise on acceleration and deceleration and they changed the gearset. Now the rear end just makes the whine on deceleration. Apparently a Ford service engineer rep. was at the dealership, drove my car and thought the noise was acceptable according to the dealership service advisor who also stated there is a TSB to be announced about a certain level of rear gear whine being acceptable!

My 1988 5.0 with 8.8 rear went 330,000 miles without whine or rear gear work, and my 2000 4.6 gt went 94,000 before the whine got bad and $800 later had the rear end rebuilt and sold the car at 250,000 without further whine issues! Aren't the internals of the current 8.8 rear the same and thus either the dealer/ford are mistaken or are the gears cut differently?

The budget 5.0 rental cars i rented before purchasing my 5.0 did't make much noise? Do any of the other Ford cars using the 8.8 inch rear end have noise issues?

PushingSpokes

Established Member
I got noise now on deceleration since the mechanic who put my 4.10's in F'd up. I'm gonna let another mechanic take a wack at it soon when I go back down to 3.55's.

Is your rear end stock?

sncbluegt

Established Member
The rear is an offset rear as opposed to ur previous fox styles. But I hear that they all have a little noise...although I do not.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Some are noisy out of the box. My 12 had a leaking pinion seal off the truck and a fair amount of rear diff nvh. I put gears in 3 days later, silent. Noisy diffs aren't a new thing for Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread