2012 boss rear end whine under acceleration

svtcollector1

orange svt collector
Established Member
I have a really loud whine under acceleration in my 8500 mile boss .anyone else having any issues .all my cars have some whine either under accel or decel but this is louder than the engine with plates removed when running high speeds

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
If its that loud take it in something is wrong. You should only be hearing two noises doing high speed runs, wind and engine.

Last edited:

Cyclerick

Established Member
Usually the whine comes from the transmission. I replaced mine with the Tremec and got rid of the whine, which was loader than my SC.

KBBoss302

Established Member
I see that you list your car as completely stock but since you just got it are you sure that it doesn't have an aftermarket UCA and/or bracket? Some can transmit a lot of whine into the cabin.

Cyclerick

Established Member
I see that you list your car as completely stock but since you just got it are you sure that it doesn't have an aftermarket UCA and/or bracket? Some can transmit a lot of whine into the cabin.

Mine has both and noise disappeared with new tranny.

KBBoss302

Established Member
I got annoying diff whine when I put in my Steeda UCA and bracket but once I swapped to a Dynotech driveshaft, the noise was cut down to almost nonexistent (which was not at all what I was expecting).

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I don't have whine under acceleration, but I have rear noise when cruising steady speed.

50blackout

Established Member
I have a track pack GT (same rear end as a boss) and I have the whine too. It really only became noticeable when I put LCA's and even then I would have to be driving above 75mph with the windows up and radio off. Even then it wasn't that bad. From looking things up on this forum it looks like this is common with cars that have 3.73's. If its under warranty and the noise is that bad, Ford will (or should) replace it.

IamRacerX

Established Member
One more thing to add, I have two friends one with a Boss and the other with a GT500 that had a whiney rearend.... Both had the dealer warranty them and they came out worse!!! Mine is pretty loud at times, but not sure I want to roll the dice at the dealer.
My friend with the GT500 went to three dealers before it was better... Not quiet, just better. Friend with the Boss paid to fix it at a reputable shop and it's completely quiet!!!!

Tyler72

Established Member
You know, mine is soooo loud it drives me bonkers. Below 60 mph, its livable. Above 80 mph, its livable. So pretty much if I stay off the interstate or drive TOO fast then I'm good! Lol. I have considered multiple times to take my car to the dealer to have them look at it, but like mentioned above I'm just afraid they will make it worse. I can fix it myself.. as I'm VERY experienced with building 8.8's, but I really don't want to spend the money on it right now. Also, I will not be putting in a Ford gear. To me, the issue is the new "2 cut" process used to make gears and that's what is causing the problem. Im afraid if I get another Ford gear I will just end up with the same problems. I'm a dealer for several other gear suppliers so I would go aftermarket to try to eliminate possible manufacturing issues.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Hey Tyler - you describe the exact ranges of noise that my car suffered from when I installed the Steeda UCA and bracket on my '13 LS. It was really annoying, to the point that I was exploring different UCA options (including going back to stock). I went ahead and installed my Dynotech shaft so that I could make a final decision on the UCA but the noise went down so drastically that it isn't even really noticeable most of the time.

(I have roughly similar chassis mods to your car - UCA/LCAs/relos/KW V3s/MM cc plates/PHB and brace - if that factors into your consideration.)

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
I have a really loud whine under acceleration in my 8500 mile boss .anyone else having any issues .all my cars have some whine either under accel or decel but this is louder than the engine with plates removed when running high speeds

I don't have whine under acceleration, but I have rear noise when cruising steady speed.
Have you guys addressed this noise with your Ford Dealers yet? If so, what have they found?

Deysha

Tyler72

Established Member
I tried a Shaft masters aluminum shaft. Did not have any effect on the noise at all. I wasn't satisfied with it, as it had some vibrations over 100 mph so I sent it back. No matter how I adjusted pinion angle it was never "satisfactory". Now I have a DSS carbon fiber shaft and its perfectly smooth, but again has no effect on the noise.

Deysha, I appreciate the curiosity, but unless I knew someone in service at a local dealer, I won't be taking my car to them over it. Fact is, you have to be well experienced with setting up gears to get a pattern that is quiet. Also, I'm pretty sure that the gears themselves are of poor quality and that has a lot to do with how quiet or noisy an install is. Ford will put Ford gears in it and most likely they will be installed by someone who hasn't done many, if any at all, gear installs. I'm VERY experienced in setting up 8.8's and I know what it takes. I'm not going to go through having my car in the shop for 3 months while someone puts 3 sets of gears in it trying to satisfy me. If I had it my way Ford would just reimburse me for the parts and I would do it myself. Oh... And it is 100% ring and pinion noise. Not bearings.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Have you guys addressed this noise with your Ford Dealers yet? If so, what have they found?

Deysha

I was told it was common with the torsion rear. I have two friends that had different dealer replace the gears only to have it worse afterwards. So I'm standing pat with it I think.

Tyler72

Established Member
I was told it was common with the torsion rear. I have two friends that had different dealer replace the gears only to have it worse afterwards. So I'm standing pat with it I think.

Just because it is a common problem, it doesn't excuse the fact that it is indeed a problem. It is not the torsen diff causing it, its just the gear (3.73). Its just that most 3.73 cars are track pack cars or bosses and they have the torsen diff in them.

All I know is that if I took it to a dealer and they made it worse I would be extremely pissed off! Which is most likely what would happen.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
I tried a Shaft masters aluminum shaft. Did not have any effect on the noise at all. I wasn't satisfied with it, as it had some vibrations over 100 mph so I sent it back. No matter how I adjusted pinion angle it was never "satisfactory". Now I have a DSS carbon fiber shaft and its perfectly smooth, but again has no effect on the noise.

Deysha, I appreciate the curiosity, but unless I knew someone in service at a local dealer, I won't be taking my car to them over it. Fact is, you have to be well experienced with setting up gears to get a pattern that is quiet. Also, I'm pretty sure that the gears themselves are of poor quality and that has a lot to do with how quiet or noisy an install is. Ford will put Ford gears in it and most likely they will be installed by someone who hasn't done many, if any at all, gear installs. I'm VERY experienced in setting up 8.8's and I know what it takes. I'm not going to go through having my car in the shop for 3 months while someone puts 3 sets of gears in it trying to satisfy me. If I had it my way Ford would just reimburse me for the parts and I would do it myself. Oh... And it is 100% ring and pinion noise. Not bearings.
Thank you for your input, Tyler72!

I understand, IamRacerX. I’m here if you need me.

Deysha

legos_mustang

Established Member
I have the gear noise as well with my Boss which has right at 5000 miles on it. Before the Boss I had a 2011 and a 2012 GT. My 2011 was quiet as a mouse, but my 2012 had a lot of noise with it. I used to use it as a daily driver but couldn't stand the gear noise. Took it in twice and they adjusted the rear end but no real changes, just the "That's how they all sound" answer, and like you said, it is not an easy job to get exactly right, and I hated not having the car. The Ford 3.73 gears seem to be noisy as many of the people I know that bought 2011 GT's with the 3.73 gears said theirs were extremely loud too. It was one of the main reasons I traded it in to get a Boss. I knew I'd have the 3.73 gears but it was going to be primarily a track car, and I swapped out a lot of stuff that carries more noise and vibration, so it doesn't bother me anymore.

So yes, my Boss has a lot of whine under acceleration. I know it is the rear gears for a fact because as I was building the Boss as a primary track car, I tore out a lot of the interior to look to track down the noise. It was the rear gears for sure. I now have a 1 piece carbon fiber drive shaft and it carries the gear noise like a freaking 7.1 surround sound setup. Anyway, I knew my Boss would be loud when I finished changing out everything I wanted. I just had to make the engine noise louder to cover the gear noise! Works like a champ.

darreng505

Established Member
It was the rear gears for sure. I now have a 1 piece carbon fiber drive shaft and it carries the gear noise like a freaking 7.1 surround sound setup. Anyway, I knew my Boss would be loud when I finished changing out everything I wanted. I just had to make the engine noise louder to cover the gear noise! Works like a champ.

Love it! I always said the best way to fix an annoying sound is to cover it up with a badass one. Problem solved!

Users who are viewing this thread