2012 Ecoboost Raptor is it going to happen

Jroc

Established Member
Yes, any diesel HD now-a-day will get 20 on the highway (minus the DPF and EGR crap).

You can't be serious with the MPG comparisons between an HD with a diesel and a half ton with an ecoboost. If so, then you're nuts. 15 MPG average on a new diesel is common. Ecoboost does better 100% of the time.

We ran two 2003 Dodge Cummins on our farm from 03-09. One Auto and one 6 speed. Auto got 14 mpg average, 6 speed got 15. I have run three 6.0 PSD's into the ground from 03 to 08 and averaged 15 to 16 doing the same work.

I assume you are talking HWY, and city miles combined? I seriously doubt Ecoboost does better 100% of the time. From my understanding Ecoboost MPG goes to total shit when you use the truck to do real truck stuff. Hell my moms 08 4WD Lariat crew can get 22 MPG on the highway.(At least according to it) IDK exactly what my dads 01 Ram 3500 4x4 diesel gets, but he has told me that he is been very impressed, and pleased with it's gas mileage. Most old 7.3 Powerstroke guys I've know have claimed to get some pretty nice MPG's with them also. Even the Duramax guys I know(severel) act like they get noticeably better gas mileage with their 3/4 ton than they do in their 1/2 tons. I've never personally owned a diesel so I can't talk from experience driving the trucks from day to day, but I have used them along side 1/2 trucks, and they always have gotten better gas mileage when towing. If Ecoboost truly only gets a extra MPG or two over the gas v8's then I can see a 3/4 diesel competing with or bettering it's MPG.

JJs89lx

In the making.....
Established Member
With gas prices going up and all Raptors going to see $100 fill up this summer. Do you think Ford will put the Ecoboost in the Raptor. Discuss

:lol1: I'm already there... Just shy by 6-7 bucks...

And while others find out who's cookies are bigger and such...... I'll leave a review.

Taking a chance I bought an Eco Boost truck... I'll say I have never been happier with a trucks performance in the work field or daily driving. I test drove the 5.0 truck before I even decided to buy a truck and rated it close to what the 5.4 out of the 02 work truck I had felt like... wasn't really impressed just liked the comfort. I didn't want another 5.4 truck nor did I want the 4.6... I started looking at the 2012 mustangs and thinking about trading in finally after a drive in the work truck and not being comfortable I decided to call the dealership and start the process on a new truck. Decided on an ecoboost just out of the few reviews and stuff I read. Yes huge gamble... blah blah blah, I didn't care for anything more than leather captain chairs and sync and didn't want the 6.2. I picked the truck up two days after signing paper work and from the start I was happy with the truck. The sound may lack of a v8, but the sound of a turbo on start up and messing around makes up for it. My gas milage as of now with 5,7xx miles in a little over a month is 18.4, This is a mix from pulling my mix of trailers and city and highway driving.

I have 3.55 gears... Part of me wishes I had waited for a truck with 3.73's to come around but, I'm happy with what I have.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
:lol1: I'm already there... Just shy by 6-7 bucks...

And while others find out who's cookies are bigger and such...... I'll leave a review.

Taking a chance I bought an Eco Boost truck... I'll say I have never been happier with a trucks performance in the work field or daily driving. I test drove the 5.0 truck before I even decided to buy a truck and rated it close to what the 5.4 out of the 02 work truck I had felt like... wasn't really impressed just liked the comfort. I didn't want another 5.4 truck nor did I want the 4.6... I started looking at the 2012 mustangs and thinking about trading in finally after a drive in the work truck and not being comfortable I decided to call the dealership and start the process on a new truck. Decided on an ecoboost just out of the few reviews and stuff I read. Yes huge gamble... blah blah blah, I didn't care for anything more than leather captain chairs and sync and didn't want the 6.2. I picked the truck up two days after signing paper work and from the start I was happy with the truck. The sound may lack of a v8, but the sound of a turbo on start up and messing around makes up for it. My gas milage as of now with 5,7xx miles in a little over a month is 18.4, This is a mix from pulling my mix of trailers and city and highway driving.

I have 3.55 gears... Part of me wishes I had waited for a truck with 3.73's to come around but, I'm happy with what I have.

My 6.2 Raptor averages 14.9 doing farm work and the EB will put a truck and a half on my raptor at 7600 ft elevation so I'd say 4 MPG + more HP at elevation is doing a good job.

terminutter03

Whipples Shake Nipples!
Established Member
The EB is amazing, I'm putting an HKS Blowoff Valve, and Air filters this weekend. =)

l.jpg

l.jpg

JJs89lx

In the making.....
Established Member
My 6.2 Raptor averages 14.9 doing farm work and the EB will put a truck and a half on my raptor at 7600 ft elevation so I'd say 4 MPG + more HP at elevation is doing a good job.

I have to say you may have the sweeter truck though... If I did any type of off road driving I for surely would have gone your route.

The EB is amazing, I'm putting an HKS Blowoff Valve, and Air filters this weekend. =)

l.jpg

l.jpg

Let me know how that goes... Didn't think you could just throw it on there with out some plates made for the turbo housing.

AlexandriaFJ

Owned

First off you want a cookie? I tell you what you send me your mother ****ing address and I will send you a god damn cookie. You got the blue truck thing right! Lets just toot your ****ing horn some more. If there's two identical vehicles with different motors and the one making less torque, and much less power is the faster one then somethings up.

Quit being a BS'er. First the 5.4 is a POS that can't tow worth a damn, and now that my truck tows just fine so does your 5.4? Just go on with that BS.

Oh and no the Ecoboost doesn't impress me as being faster than a 6.2 when a 6,200 lb crew cab AWD HD will run a 15.1 at over 92 MPH.

Your points are stupid as hell. What do you mean I'm against OHC's? I drive a truck with a OHC motor. No trucks don't have to have OHV motors. What a dumb argument you present.

Are you into SRT4's, EVO's, MazdaSpeed 3's, and other I4 turbo vehicles? If not why not? I mean mofo's always bust on SRT4 saying they're still Neons or whatever. Well guess what they'll also run pretty damn good so maybe we should just all get a hard on for the car. When talking fullsize trucks, and performance car Mustangs I don't like v6's in any forum. I don't like the #6 because I'm not a Satanist, I don't like how those POS motors sound, I don't like 60 degree motors, and I don't like how my Ford worked hard to make it out perform the v8's.(which they did) Don't you see what Fords trying to do here? Ford wants the Ecoboost to eclipse the v8's is sells so much so they will be able to drop the v8's from the F150's lineup in a few years. Trust me I've seen it happen before.

If you spend $10K to just throw a blower on a F150 then you're a butt f'in moron. If you spend $7,000 you better have gotten a nice exhaust setup, CAI, and tune at the least to go along with the blower for that price.

Again what you find impressive is not that impressive to me. Yes it makes good #'s and it performs alright. It's a boosted DOHC motor running 17 psi in a motor that Ford worked real hard to make it do a good job. WTF do you expect?

Your knowledge of a 5.4 doesn't impress me, and I don't give a damn how your truck performs. I said if Ford wanted to build a 5.4 better/stronger motor than the Ecoboost it would easily happen. If you can't admit then you're an idiot. Get over yourself. You act like I'm trying to school you on what 5.4's are capable of and that offends you because you're just the man when it comes to 5.4's when I'm just stating a fact. I've owned Modular vehicles for a long/long time and even if they were 4.6's they are just a 5.4 with a shorter stroke, and deck height. Hell Ford could build a 4.6 to be a much stronger truck motor than the Ecoboost if they throw a couple of snails at it. Boost is an amazing thing.

You are just too stubborn to admit that Ford is going to hold much higher restrictions about people modding Ecoboost motors. Do you not understand that the guy saying that tunes Ford for a living? That's his job. I've never been scared that Ford would void a warranty over just a tune on any Mustang I've had. Now if they can prove that you've upped the boost, and done some substantial mods then yes you're screwed, but with the Ecoboost already being push pretty hard from the factory Fords not stupid enough to say "yeah lets make this a little tuner motor for enthusiasts." It's a cast motor, and it's running up to 17 psi. What other V type gas motors do you know of that run all that much more than 17 psi on pump gas? When you get to around 20/21 PSI you start to think E85/race gas range. If I got a new GT or GT500 I wouldn't fret over just getting a tune to void my warranty. In a v8 vehicle they sell if they tried to void my warranty over just a tune then we would have a big problem, but if Ford is straight up telling Ecoboost owners through tune shops that they will not cover their cars if they get them tuned then that is expected.

My old Cobra's heads flow well enough to make that power, and much, much, much more without ever even breaking the valve covers. Hell people have made that much and more with just a TS blower on the Terminators little 4.6's. Stock longblock Terminator motors have made upwards of 1,300 whp on boost alone. 2v Modulars heads are poor flowing no matter how you try and sell it. I've had several 2v Modulars.

Nothing is better than watching an ignorant dumbass get owned in a technical discussion. I drive a 2007 FJ Cruiser and am seriously contemplating getting an F150 because of, and only because of the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost. It is literally one of the best engines I have ever seen. 365 HP, 420 ft-lb of torque, and 22 MPG on a 5K lb truck! That is insane engineering, especially in light of the ridiculous torture tests they put it through. It almost is enough to make me buy a first year model. Seriously Jroc, nothing you said here makes sense except the part where you admit how ignorant and biased you are. If that engine was in my FJ Cruiser, I would get better MPGs and it would go 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Instead I have a crappy single variable valve timing 4.0L V6 with 239 hp. Like others on this forum, I am hoping the EB will get in the Raptor. Not only will it be less expensive, it will become an honest daily driver. I'm sorry, but the 6.2L is not a daily driver engine. I plan to test drive both the EB and 5.0L V8 this weekend (FX4s). The only unknown variable is whether I can actually wait for the 2012 Raptor announcements. If it gets the EB and gets 19-20MPG highway (it's heavier), I don't know if I will be able to resist. Oh yea, it also will be like 2K cheaper than the 6.2L. In short, it is the right Raptor engine for those who want off-road performance, but don't plan to street race to show how bad-ass they are. If you want a racing truck that is also an off road truck and you have deep pockets, go for the 6.2L. The rest of us middle-classers need to wait for the EB.

But again, I am so glad I read this post. Your ignorance and the ensuing argument clarified even further that Ford may indeed put the EB in the Raptor. It would be silly not to. Right now it only appeals to wealthy guys who probably don't off road.

I'll never understand people who continue to argue after they have been soundly beaten. BTW, I have a master's degree in mechanical engineering from Stanford. So if you want to get in over your head again in a technical discussion, feel free. I'll hand you the virtual shovel to dig a hole for yourself!

My fiancé (wife in 1 month) hates pickups and anything redneck associated. I am guessing she will change her tune when she sits in a fully loaded FX4 or Raptor this weekend. If I sell the FJ for 23K (they have great resale value), I will only be financing like 23K for the highest combination of power, low end torque, high MPGs, and off-road suspension ever to be offered from a factory vehicle (if the EB is mated to the Raptor). Yea, I could be down with that for 350/month!

BTW Jroc, guys like you are why my soon to be wife hates pickup trucks. I have 1K that says you have “back off” and a Calvin and Hobbs pissing stickers on your truck. Tell me I’m wrong. I bet you are probably 5’ 8” and 160 lb too!

Jroc

Established Member
Nothing is better than watching an ignorant dumbass get owned in a technical discussion. I drive a 2007 FJ Cruiser and am seriously contemplating getting an F150 because of, and only because of the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost. It is literally one of the best engines I have ever seen. 365 HP, 420 ft-lb of torque, and 22 MPG on a 5K lb truck! That is insane engineering, especially in light of the ridiculous torture tests they put it through. It almost is enough to make me buy a first year model. Seriously Jroc, nothing you said here makes sense except the part where you admit how ignorant and biased you are. If that engine was in my FJ Cruiser, I would get better MPGs and it would go 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Instead I have a crappy single variable valve timing 4.0L V6 with 239 hp. Like others on this forum, I am hoping the EB will get in the Raptor. Not only will it be less expensive, it will become an honest daily driver. I'm sorry, but the 6.2L is not a daily driver engine. I plan to test drive both the EB and 5.0L V8 this weekend (FX4s). The only unknown variable is whether I can actually wait for the 2012 Raptor announcements. If it gets the EB and gets 19-20MPG highway (it's heavier), I don't know if I will be able to resist. Oh yea, it also will be like 2K cheaper than the 6.2L. In short, it is the right Raptor engine for those who want off-road performance, but don't plan to street race to show how bad-ass they are. If you want a racing truck that is also an off road truck and you have deep pockets, go for the 6.2L. The rest of us middle-classers need to wait for the EB.

But again, I am so glad I read this post. Your ignorance and the ensuing argument clarified even further that Ford may indeed put the EB in the Raptor. It would be silly not to. Right now it only appeals to wealthy guys who probably don't off road.

I'll never understand people who continue to argue after they have been soundly beaten. BTW, I have a master's degree in mechanical engineering from Stanford. So if you want to get in over your head again in a technical discussion, feel free. I'll hand you the virtual shovel to dig a hole for yourself!

My fiancé (wife in 1 month) hates pickups and anything redneck associated. I am guessing she will change her tune when she sits in a fully loaded FX4 or Raptor this weekend. If I sell the FJ for 23K (they have great resale value), I will only be financing like 23K for the highest combination of power, low end torque, high MPGs, and off-road suspension ever to be offered from a factory vehicle (if the EB is mated to the Raptor). Yea, I could be down with that for 350/month!

BTW Jroc, guys like you are why my soon to be wife hates pickup trucks. I have 1K that says you have “back off” and a Calvin and Hobbs pissing stickers on your truck. Tell me I’m wrong. I bet you are probably 5’ 8” and 160 lb too!

LMFAO. Look at this mother ****er.

Let me tell you what you can do, you can send your skanky fiance down here to suck my big white redneck dick and I'll be sure to grudge **** the love of all things country into the bitch. Nothing better than some punk ass newb who wants to join a forum and go straight to shit talking someone who's been on here a long time. I can already tell you're some left wing liberal ****** who would love to take it up the ass by this countries current dictator by what you drive. A FJ Cruiser is a 4x4 for people with pussies, and faggots. You might as well be driving a VW Beatle or something and your bitch ass is going to come at me? That Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford apparently didn't do much of shit for your common sense because I guess now you owe me a grand. I'm 6'1 between 175/180 lbs, and the only aftermarket shit stuck on my truck is window tint. BTW are you in your early 20's? You're acting like I'm some country hick? Well Mr Stanford you're the one looking to buy some full-size pickup for O/R use so maybe you're the redneck. But that's fine I don't hate on people for being country as that's some kid shit, and I know plenty of cool country people. You call me ignorant and then state that your bitch hates redneck just for the **** of it. What a stupid bitch. Maybe she should just hate people for being skaters, or preppies, or jocks, or whatever else. I grew up a Military brat son and have lived all over this ****ing planet. I'm not some born and breed ****ing redneck.

You sound like a stuck up, arrogant prick. You think I give a shit about or am impressed by your degree? "Damn Dogg, you got a degree!?!?!? Don't nobody hardly got a college degree. You're just the ****ing man I guess." I on the other hand have an Associates Degree in Machine Tool Technology so why don't you come down here and try and build a Die, or fixture, or machine on a block against me, and I'll make you look like a ****ing idiot, but who really gives a shit?

Put your intellect which you seem to be proud of to work here and listen to exactly what I say: Ecoboost is a great factory motor. I'm pretty sure I have never once claimed that the Ecoboost motor is some crappy motor and if I did then it was indeed stupid on my part. Still Ecoboost DOES NOT have the overall performance potential of the V8 motors. A 5 liter v8 does not have the power potentiality of a 600+ ci Chevy BB either. Did you not learn at your time at Stanford that all other things being equal a bigger motor will out perform a smaller motor? It's true. While Ecoboost is a good motor you are either an idiot or a blind fanboy if you feel that Ecoboost is one of the best motors you've ever seen. You should look at a 5.0 Mustang or GT500 or LS7, or 2JZ or something like that if you are overly impressed by the Ecoboost. IMO an extremely smooth, 412 BHP, N/A 5 liter v8 with an 11:1 compression ratio that will operate perfectly well on regular octane, and that achieves about 30 MPG on the HWY in a Mustang, and does all this without the use of DI is more impressive than a boosted V6 making 365 BHP. Ecoboost is a 365 BHP TT 3.5L DOHC v6 running up to 17 PSI stock with DI that gets slightly better MPG than the v8's when not being worked or pushed hard. That is in no way mind blowing performance from a motor with that configuration. Oh and that motor will not average 22 MPG both HWY/city driving. I hope it can do better than 22 MPG on the HWY as even my Moms 08 4x4 crew Lariat will get 22 MPG on a long HWY trip cruising at 75 MPH. If the Ecoboost blows your mind like that then your dick must get hard at the thought of a GTR's powerplant. The funny thing is it sounds like your dumbass hasn't even driven one yet, and you're still ready to anoint it the king of all factory motors. Still again Ecoboost is a good factory truck motor, and Ford wants it reliable, refined, smooth, strong, responsive, and torquey and that's what it offers. If people like their Ecoboost F150's then fine I think it's good to like something you own when you spend the kind of money that new full-size trucks cost, and they have a fine ride, but I on the other hand do not like it because I am a fan of v8's in performance vehicles, and full-sized trucks.

You should put your degree up against the people at say Livernois who are one of the premier engine builders for Ford, GM, Chrysler in the country. They themselves have stated after testing Ecoboost that 450 WHP is probably about the most you will be able to squeeze out of the motor on factory turbo's without the use of spray. Hey, but why don't we just slap some bigger snails on it, and take away from it's lowend torque, and responsiveness, and work ethic. I mean it's only a truck.

If you think the Boss 6.2 is a poor DD motor then you are a bigger dumbass than I thought. Not all people get overly bent over fuel economy, and it gets about the same as 1/2 v8 trucks got 7/8 years ago. The 6.2's are extremely smooth, refined, and reliable motors that when functioning properly will always make much more pleasing sounds than Ecoboost.

You're comparing a Ecoboost motor to the POS motor in your POS? Well yeah that's about as stupid as me comparing the N/A 4.6L SOHC POS in my old GT to the built/boosted 4.6L DOHC motor in my Cobra. No shit it's better. A new more high tech, DI, boosted, v6 motor that is pretty much the flag ship motor for the best selling vehicle in the states would likely better the performance of your POS. You see boost ups the performance of a motor. Too bad they didn't teach you that at Stanford. See I've been experiencing it for years and have a mid 13 second truck in stock trim.

If you feel that someone will give you 23K on a trade for your POS then you my man are the ignorant SOB. I bet you'd be lucky to get 16/17K for it. Oh and yeah get over your head, and stretch those payments out, and pay the least amount possible on a new 45K+ truck. That's really smart and in no way an ignorant thing to do. It's only your hard earned money right? You shouldn't worry about money, and just let money worry about you.

Thanks for quoting me BTW. I do enjoy a good old fashion internet pissing match from time to time, especially against some stupid newb who thinks he's way smarter than he is.

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Ahem...

[ame=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13477043#post13477043]Eco-Raptor - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board[/ame]

01silverstang

Established Member
I would love to see the EB engine in the Raptor, I'm in love with this truck but the mpg's are disgusting. I currently drive an 05 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 and I'm high 12's in town in the winter, and high 13's low 14's in the summer. Highway I have seen as high as 22 mpg.

It looks like I will be stuck hunting down a 5.4 Raptor, or looking at other options... the 6.2 is just too low on mpg's. The EB would give similar power and should deliver at least 15/20 mpg.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I would love to see the EB engine in the Raptor, I'm in love with this truck but the mpg's are disgusting. I currently drive an 05 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 and I'm high 12's in town in the winter, and high 13's low 14's in the summer. Highway I have seen as high as 22 mpg.

It looks like I will be stuck hunting down a 5.4 Raptor, or looking at other options... the 6.2 is just too low on mpg's. The EB would give similar power and should deliver at least 15/20 mpg.

6.2 will do better MPG's than the 5.4. Ecoboost on average is only 1-2 MPG's above the 6.2 from what I've seen on a friends EB 4-door F150.

01silverstang

Established Member
6.2 will do better MPG's than the 5.4. Ecoboost on average is only 1-2 MPG's above the 6.2 from what I've seen on a friends EB 4-door F150.

I would love to see the exact same mileage out of s-crew 6.2 raptor… as the Jeep. All my research has shown the 5.4 guys reporting better mpg's than the 6.2 under light driving. I just can't handle a truck the seriously is 11/14 mpg.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I would love to see the exact same mileage out of s-crew 6.2 raptor… as the Jeep. All my research has shown the 5.4 guys reporting better mpg's than the 6.2 under light driving. I just can't handle a truck the seriously is 11/14 mpg.

I just see 5.4, 6.2, and EB trucks doing farm work. No heavy lifting, just stop and go. These are my real world observations, compare them to your research if you like.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I never reset my MPG calculator on my 6.2 Raptor and it usually says 15-15.5 mpg. My Dad's 6.2 is usually between 15.5-16 and another friends 6.2 is around 15 as well. These are all Supercabs. Have another friend with a 6.2 Screw that is around 14.5-15 on his.

The two Ecoboosts I know of are right around 16.5-17.

01silverstang

Established Member
I never reset my MPG calculator on my 6.2 Raptor and it usually says 15-15.5 mpg. My Dad's 6.2 is usually between 15.5-16 and another friends 6.2 is around 15 as well. These are all Supercabs. Have another friend with a 6.2 Screw that is around 14.5-15 on his.

The two Ecoboosts I know of are right around 16.5-17.

That's what I was hoping to hear... I got confused, I will be looking for a Supercab not supercrew and if I could average 15-15.5 I would be higher than my current Jeep. I don't know how this Jeep does so horrible, I'm at 14 mpg right now keeping it under 2k on acceleration. If I floored it everywhere I could easily get it to 9-10 mpg.

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Jroc is a god damn idiot. Holy crap. It's amazing. Reminds me of one of those mouth breathers that would never buy an EcoBoost as their tow rig over a 5.0 simply because of the exhaust note (or lack of), regardless of the actual towing capabilities.

Anyways, there is an EcoBoost owner on a local forum in my area that just ran his down the quarter mile. I was very impressed: (Hopefully the pictures load)

Bone stock! this is at speed world race track in Phoenix 1500' above sea level.

2012 fx4 screw 5.5 foot bed 3.73 gears only 2500 miles Truck weighs 5980lbs with me in it LOL
ux7vb.jpg

Slips my truck is # right lane 970
first pass
2072q9g.jpg

Second
9pwfi9.jpg

Best pass
2yv5t2q.jpg

Back up pass
xlxp50.jpg

garner

Established Member
Damn what mods on that fx4???!!

I got walked hard twice from a dig(over 5 lengths) by a 2012 fx2 sport with appearance package and ecoboost a couple weeks ago in my 2012 ram 1500 lonestar hemi with a front bumper replacement. Weighs probably around 5,500 pounds. Ran 15.2 @ 92 in 400 DA and a best of 15.3 in around 1500 DA but couldn't back it up that night and varied between 15.4-15.6 after the 15.3 run

Users who are viewing this thread