2013 5.0 M6 Tranny replaced under warranty

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Well, first off, I took the car to the dealer after approx. 2000 miles for a vibration at 70~80. They balanced the tires and said everything else looked good. Fast fwd to now, 9900 miles and the car has been clunking when on/off the clutch at low rpm's and also has a slight gear whine sound but I attributed that to uca, lca, and phb. I removed all tje suspension pieces except for the mgw shifter. I took it in for the clunk and oil change, but while there they rold me they would have to keep the car. So, last Friday, they gave me arental and told me they had to wait on the engineer to come look at it Tuesday. Wednesday, I recieved a call from the service advisor stating that the engineer diagnosed the car and said I needed a transmission! I never had any problems shifting or getting locked out of gear at all. I had no idea something was wrong with the tranny. I called her back to get further details and she said there's something wrong with reverse and 1st gears. The new transmission has been ordered and will be there next Wednesday so hopefully all goes well. Anyone had a similar issue?

FIFTY

Established Member
That's good that Ford is taking care of your trans before it became a real issue!

CPRsm

Is it not normal for the car to clunk? Mine does this, often, when engaging or disengaging the clutch.
Alway been normal for me and any other manual. If you disengage the clutch in first or reverse just right it clunks. My 500 does it, so does my Focus

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Yea mine has always clunked, I had no idea the trans was shot.. I used to have a z28 with t56 that always clunked too. I wonder what made them disassemble the tranny? It's like they were looking for something already. How in the world to you tear up 1st and reverse? 2nd and 3rd or 4th I can see but 1st.. must jist be bad quality. They never even mentioned the mgw either. I hope they put it back right..

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Maybe the tech or tech's went for a joy ride or two and fried the trans.. You never know.. My car grinds into second sometimes and clunks here and there as well as a squeaky chirping noise coming from the rear end and the brakes squeal like a pig but I'm afraid to take it in because I feel like some young tech is going to go beat the crap out of it.

stevegt2012

Established Member
Clunking is pretty common in these cars and related to the two piece drive shaft and/or rear gear backlash, along with your personal finesse in handling the clutch during low speed maneuvers. Hopefully you are not giving up that perfect shifting transmission for a problem. :shrug:

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Well, I called the service advisor today, she said, "we literally just got out of a meeting about your car ,"we replaced the trans. last night and drove it, then, drove it again this morning, but the problem is still there!" So, they are contemplating on their next move with the car. I dont know what to do or how to feel at this point..

nissenc1337

Established Member
Yea mine has always clunked, I had no idea the trans was shot.. I used to have a z28 with t56 that always clunked too. I wonder what made them disassemble the tranny? It's like they were looking for something already. How in the world to you tear up 1st and reverse? 2nd and 3rd or 4th I can see but 1st.. must jist be bad quality. They never even mentioned the mgw either. I hope they put it back right..

That's the exact transmission I was going to reference. My T-56 in a Z28 and an SS camaro. Both clunk when disengaging the clutch under load. Part of owning a stick I presume. My gears always work so until that quits happening I assume all is normal!

Last edited:

GT915

Established Member
Mine clunks too but only after it warms up. Never cold and I don't understand that. In any event, it shifts fine and I'm thankful for at least that. I'm not taking it in because Im afraid they'll blame it all on my suspension mods and I don't feel like putting it all back to stock. Besides, I don't want somebody beating the piss out of it. When I took it in recently for warranty work, I had to watch some teenage kid drive it into the building. I can only imagine what happened when I wasnt there.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
The service advisor said she thinks they are going to try another transmission. She said it may be a bad batch of parts that they are going through with the transmissions. She said that they, as well as the engineer, said that they've never came into this problem until now. So, 3rd new tranny it is, zero miles on the one they just put in.

nicksender

Established Member
The service advisor said she thinks they are going to try another transmission. She said it may be a bad batch of parts that they are going through with the transmissions. She said that they, as well as the engineer, said that they've never came into this problem until now. So, 3rd new tranny it is, zero miles on the one they just put in.

I hope they finally get is straightened out for you. I can't believe you are going to be on your third tranny. You would think they would have the MT82 issues ironed out by now until I remembered where they are assembled.

I have been shopping 2012/2013 GT's and I really want a manual; but I am usually that guy that gets the factory reject. :(

Best of luck!

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I hope they finally get is straightened out for you. I can't believe you are going to be on your third tranny. You would think they would have the MT82 issues ironed out by now until I remembered where they are assembled.

I have been shopping 2012/2013 GT's and I really want a manual; but I am usually that guy that gets the factory reject. :(

Best of luck!

If I heard correctly, she said they "recieve the parts from another manufacturer and then assemble them." So, looks like they put them together at ford :shrug: China manufactures the parts.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Well, I recieved a call yesterday from the service department. She said my car was ready for me to come pick up. I asked her what they wound up doing to get it right and she said, "replaced the unit (transmission in guessing), clutch, and pressure plate." Maybe I had the bolts backing out as well so 13's are not exempt from clutch/pressure plate issues that the earlier models had. I will pick it up Monday supposedly the clunking and vibration are no more! We will see. I cant wait to get back in it.

Users who are viewing this thread