2013 5.0 vs Challenger RT

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
2KBlack,

Comparing a Stock 5.0 to a SRT8/392 is apples to oranges from a price tag perspective. the 392 should perform more along the lines of a GT500 which.... we all know, what those are about. You can get a Base 13' GT500 on X plan for about 48k. You can't touch Ford for bang for your buck.... it's been like that for almost 50 years ;)

Good luck getting a new GT500 on X-Plan. MSRP is 54k but from what I'm seeing on this site alone most are being optioned out and bought for 60K+. I agree with you though the 392 can't touch a 13GT500 Performance wise. The BOSS and 392 run identical times at the drag strip and are closer in price than the SRT8 and GT500.

I was just responding to the guys calling the car slow and unimpressive when the fact is it's just as fast or faster than their car.

2KBlackGT

Established Member
Stock vs stock, yeah, that's impressive. Unfortunately for Mopar fans though, that's where it ends. The aftermarket for both cars is.. well there is no comparison. The Mustang aftermarket is 10x as big as the late model Mopar aftermarket. The main reason being is that a lot of the Mustang aftermarket companies have been around since the beginning of the fox EFI days. Mopar aftermarket companies (not all) have not been around that long because before the SRT-8 products were introduced, Mopar RWD products were: Trucks, Durangos, and the Viper. So, the experience of the Mustang aftermarket as a whole is light years ahead of the Mopar aftermarket. Hell, when I visted Comp Cams during the Pump Gas Drags in 2008, they were still trying to unlock the Mopar computers so people could run aftermarket cams in them.

There's a reason the car is called a CHALLENGER and not a WINNER :D (sorry for the horribly corny joke).

Challengers are cool, if you're into retro Mopar styling. They are big and comfortable. They're impressive off the showroom floor. To make them fast though takes an assload of money, and they don't respond to bolt-on mods nearly as well as 2011+ GTs.

Agreed :beer:

OneBadWS6

Established Member
Phone cam :( and 800 pounds(3 guys) of hooters filled fatty's in the 5.0 Not that I expected the guy to have a chance. But, I don't turn down races. @120 I prob had 6-7 Cars on him.

2013 5.0 vs Challenger RT - YouTube

Nice Kill, R/T's are slowwww lol. I see your in KCMO thats where I was born and raised were you coming from independence hooters? I always got races when leaving that place lol

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I'm assuming you referring to the Independence Hooters that used to be on Noland Rd. That is now a Dentists office and to cruise Noland now is just plain sad your lucky to see 2-3 cars period. 10:30 PM or later(Fri&Sat nights) This was on 150 HWY between Prospect and Holmes. 135th is decent with people cruising around but street racing in KC is pretty much dead. Your best chance is just rolling on high ways and see what you run into.

2KBlack,

While i'll agree most folks who are going to hit up a GT500 can certainly afford one optioned. If I wanted to wait 3 months I could have gotten a base on x-plan for 48 and some change base msrp is 52,950. Regardless out of my price range. ;)

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I parked next to a new orange rt with chrome 20s on her this afternoon. I must say the car looks fantastic.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
I was joking with my last post.

You two do know that stock for stock the new srt8 and 5.0 is a drivers race right? Big Ben you're modded so I'd expect you to pull the new srt8 because from what i understand there isn't any tuning for the 392 yet.

I don't see how people say the new 5.0 is impressive but then say the 392 SRT8 isn't when they run identical times is stock form. Hell, a member here ran 12.2@114 in his stock 392SRT8 Challenger. I don't think a stock 5.0 has ran that fast, hero run or not.

very well aware of that. i made a point to say "nosed" as in got a fender on him.

but my TP GT is still two notches down from the top mustang. when you take that into consideration then the challenger(while its a fine car) isn't so impressive.

2KBlackGT

Established Member
very well aware of that. i made a point to say "nosed" as in got a fender on him.

but my TP GT is still two notches down from the top mustang. when you take that into consideration then the challenger(while its a fine car) isn't so impressive.

Understood, they're both impressive to me.

magred

Established Member
The problem with the new Mopars and Gen IV Viper is that there is no tuning for them. Hence there is basically no aftermarket following either. Dodge really needs to open up the tuning. Maybe they are trying to limit the warranty issues etc. but what they are doing is losing market share because not everyone wants to stay stock.

johnisbubba

Airborne
Established Member
The Super Bee edition Charger is a real clean looking car. They have one here for sale locally. Tried talking the wife into buying it for her, she said she would rather her Lariat.

blkvenm97

Established Member
nice kill...I've wanted to run up on an r/t in my mach. think I would do very well against one...ecspecially if it's stock. they do look good...

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Blkvenm,

I have no doubt that your car would be a great race for them... especially if you have 4:10's and a sticky tire, I would say you got it in the bag. Please for god sake take that wing of your car though ;) <3

OneBadWS6

Established Member
I'm assuming you referring to the Independence Hooters that used to be on Noland Rd. That is now a Dentists office and to cruise Noland now is just plain sad your lucky to see 2-3 cars period. 10:30 PM or later(Fri&Sat nights) This was on 150 HWY between Prospect and Holmes. 135th is decent with people cruising around but street racing in KC is pretty much dead. Your best chance is just rolling on high ways and see what you run into.

2KBlack,

While i'll agree most folks who are going to hit up a GT500 can certainly afford one optioned. If I wanted to wait 3 months I could have gotten a base on x-plan for 48 and some change base msrp is 52,950. Regardless out of my price range. ;)

Thats sad to hear. We had some of the best street racing around back in 08-09 I remember the fairfax and driving to kansas days

Fomoco69

Established Member
They look good cruising though.[/QUOT
Yes.....the challenger is more of a powerful heavier cruiser.....which makes more sense for most people like me that want a nice looking daily driver with good power.....I have a 2012 GT / CS automatic & love it ......if you want a race car buy a Boss 302 or Shelby & go to the track

Users who are viewing this thread