2013 Door speaker upgrades..

RioRed4v

Established Member
Since i'm getting ready to upgrade my door speakers and install my amp/sub from last car, figured I would toss this in here as well.

I havent really seen any "good" option for the door subs on the Shaker500, so i'm thinking of running those off the factory headunit. For now, I'll be keeping the factory HU and upgrading everything.

This is what I had in mind:

For the door/deck speakers:
Amazon.com: Infinity 6829CF 300W (Peak) 6 x 8 / 5 x 7 -Inch 2-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

4-channel amp:
RE Audio DTS-500.4 (DTS500.4) 400W 4-Channel Class AB Amplifier

Line output converter:
AudioControl LC6i (lc6i-gray) NEW LC6i VERSION! - 6 Channel Line

I'll have a seperate amp for my sub, so i'll just need the distribution block and then all the wiring to hook it all up. Probably will grab some dynamat as well. Anything else?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I havent really seen any "good" option for the door subs on the Shaker500

What'chu talkin' 'bout Willis? These fit the stock door enclusure and will allow you to retain the stock grill. Only downside is they are expensive and require an aftermarket amp (as does anything else for this spot) due to the factory 1.2 ohm dvc amp setup. I have them crossed over at about 50hz and they absolutely sound amazing.

ZR800-CW - Car Audio - Evolution® - ZR - Mid-Bass Driver - JL Audio

RioRed4v

Established Member
What'chu talkin' 'bout Willis? These fit the stock door enclusure and will allow you to retain the stock grill. Only downside is they are expensive and require an aftermarket amp (as does anything else for this spot) due to the factory 1.2 ohm dvc amp setup. I have them crossed over at about 50hz and they absolutely sound amazing.

ZR800-CW - Car Audio - Evolution® - ZR - Mid-Bass Driver - JL Audio

Hadn't seen those before. More than I think I'm looking to spend currently. I think even the factory ones might be decent enough to run as a filler if nothing else.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, they are expensive but Sonic Electronix has them for for $140/each which is considerably better than list.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Yes, they are expensive but Sonic Electronix has them for for $140/each which is considerably better than list.

I'll definitely keep them in mind. Trying to do it all somewhat on budget.

IF i didnt end up picking those up, could i (referring to my intial post) keep the factory ones running off the stock HU and then amp the rest with that RE amp and everything be fine?

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
All of you premium guys have it made for a 3 way setup in the doors! If anyone switching to a 2 way setup on a premium wants to trade doors I'd be more than willing to throw in some cash. Also, there is no need for special tools to take off the door panel. Its roughly 10 screws around the door, pop off the switch panel and bam the panel comes off. I've taken my panels off probably 6 or 7 times already.

As for my setup I'm running active with ID cx62 mids, HiVi TN28 tweeters, MiniDSP (processor), Audiocontrol LC2i, Prototype 12, and a ED Nine.5 powering everything. I went with a SQ oriented setup but don't have any plans to compete with it. Might switch to a horn setup down the road.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
If by factory you mean the door subs then yes. They run off of a seperate amp above the drivers kick panel. The HU amp only powers the upper door and deck speakers.

If you really want to save money I'd just start with the speakers and skip the amp for now. The factory HU will play aftermarket speakers just fine.

Last edited:

RioRed4v

Established Member
If by factory you mean the door subs then yes. They run off of a seperate amp above the drivers kick panel. The HU amp only powers the upper door and deck speakers.

If you really want to save money I'd just start with the speakers and skip the amp for now. The factory HU will play aftermarket speakers just fine.

Yea, sorry, I meant the door subs.

The amp is really only an additional $70 or so since I already need the AudioControl. I'm just worried about drowning out the speakers with my sub. Its not crazy.. IDQv3 with a 1200w Audioque amp, but i also want to make sure I can still get some good highs and clarity out of them (thus the reasoning for the potential amp purchase).

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
IMO the problem with setting up sub/satellite balance is volume all depends on the song you're playing. What I usually do is run a remote bass knob so this can be easily tuned depending on the music/mood. It looks like your amp has this included so you're all set. I'd still try running the speakers alone first and you can always add the amp in in you're unhappy. This will save you the potential hastle of running all the wiring and mounting the amp, etc. Not that it's a big deal but still about 10x more effort than the speakers.

This is where I mounted my bass knob (and about the only spot it would fit near the HU).
JLBassKnob.jpg

RioRed4v

Established Member
Looks pretty clean there. I was actually wondering where I would mount the remote knob also.

Maybe I'll give just the speakers a shot. It would definitely a ton easier, like you had mentioned. Feedback on the speakers I linked? Will those pair up well with the stock headunit?

Users who are viewing this thread