2013 Equinox VS. 2011 Vortech V3 5.0

Notorious2409

NO HOPE
Established Member
Was out running errands with the wife today driving her 2013 Equinox when we came to a red light at which point a blue 5.0 comes up behind us with 2 guys inside. So were sitting at the red light and i guess the driver of this 5.0 must also own a motorcycle as he just had to rev his engine about 13 times while sitting at the red light waiting to turn green. I couldn't help to notice this thing kinda had a whine to it that i could hear when he would rev.

So the light turns green and i proceed a few miles up the road to a highway entrance ramp. The 5.0 is also getting on the highway as he continues to follow me. So im getting up to highway speed to merge onto the highway and once on the highway right lane i go WOT (LoL) in the 'OL V6 Equinox and sure enough the 5.0 merges 2 lanes behind me blows past us like crazy. 5.0 did sound good too. The 5.0 gets about 1/4 mile ahead and from what i could tell and hear, he was still WOT just having fun and then out of nowhere........ BOOM!!!

I say to myself WTF was that! All the sudden i fly past the 5.0 at about 70 MPH like it was standing still. As i pass the 5.0 i could see in my rear view mirror he put on his emergency flashers and pulled to the shoulder on the highway. I had to turn back around to go check on the guy as a fellow stanger. So i got back on the highway to head back and took the next exit past where he was sitting to get back on the highway again to head the direction we were originally going.

As im going down the highway i see liquid in his lane where i heard the big BOOM. As i get closer and start to pull to the shoulder i see a few pieces of metal laying in his lane and the liquid follows suit all the way to the shoulder. Then i knew this guy's car just had a serious malfunction.

I put my hazards on and get out of my car. The driver was under the car and the passenger was looking down the side of the engine. Sure enough, the driver got up and said and i quote "I killed it".

The entire underneath of the car had a huge oil puddle. The guy said the side of the block was cracked. After looking over the car for a few mins we had a coolant puddle to go along with the oil puddle. As i surveyed the engine sure enough this guy had a Vortech V3 blower setup. I talked to him about his mods & tune to see if we could track what had happened and where the issue was. He said he had just within the last week he had changed his pulley to a custom pulley making about 14/15 PSI of boost. As i looked at the Vortech head unit you could tell it was a very small pulley on that thing. He said he had his tune revised through BAMA as well.

I asked the guy if he needed help getting the car towed he said he would have to call someone to help him tow it as he didn't have roadside assistance. I told him i would use my company account and get it towed for him as i felt pretty bad for this guy. So i stuck around and waited for the tow truck ( about 30-45 mins) and took care of that for him. By then the guys wife/GF had showed up from him calling her. The guy thanked me for stopping to help him out and paying for the tow, i told him it was no problem at all just trying to help a fellow mustang guy out.

That 5.0 sure was fast but i believe he was running way to much PSI for a stock bottom end or his A/F ratio/Tune was seriously off and running lean. He said now he has a reason to build a new engine with a bottom end.

Wasn't really trying to race the guy was just having some fun with a 5.0. Hope the guy gets it rebuilt and back on the road.

Last edited:

BrianH87

Established Member
That was cool of you to help him out. I didn't think Bama even offered tunes for boosted mustangs. Too bad for the guy.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Did he have a boost and a/f gauge? I find it crazy some guys driving boosted cars with nothing to monitor important info as this. Plus sorry but he should have had it dyno tuned for better piece of mind.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
That sucks seeing as he JUST got it in the past week. That was really nice of you OP. I'm pretty sure there are more stories out there with some of these 5bros running more boost than they should on these "unbuilt" coyote short blocks. I see a 5.0 Boss block in his future though.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Awesome of you. WAY!!! too much for a stock bottom end! Sucks for that guy :/

:bs:

Coyote blocks can handle up to 75psi bone stock....1800 horsepower is not a problem. This has been gone over by you guys x65000.

How soon you forget.....that's why the Cobra sucks so much....you don't need a built block. Seriously. Ask some of your fellow 5.bro's here.

OP nice of you to help him out. 99% of people would not have done that. So here's a beer for you good sir! :beer:

RussianStang

Established Member

Coyote blocks can handle up to 75psi bone stock....1800 horsepower is not a problem. This has been gone over by you guys x65000.

How soon you forget.....that's why the Cobra sucks so much....you don't need a built block. Seriously. Ask some of your fellow 5.bro's here.

Damn man whenever I read a post about 5.0's you are always there to talk shit.. whats the deal?

OP we need more ppl like you.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member

OP nice of you to help him out. 99% of people would not have done that. So here's a beer for you good sir! :beer:

See, this is the kinda shit that starts a whole bunch of other shit.

Shut the **** up.

Nice of you to help out, OP. But the guy deserved it. 14-15 psi, stock block, a bama tune, and probably pump gas do not mix.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Let me think......

No. So...what now? :fart:

If you can't take sarcasm, I'd close your web browser now.

Its the cobras noodle chassis that makes it suck. :loser:

I didnt realize BAMA could do F/I tuning, back in the day when I was running a tune from them I told them I put 47lb injectors in. They said " We cant tune for bigger injectors".....

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sucks he was doing that untuned.

But then again, he probably sees everyone claiming that a coyote at 650+whp is daily driveable and wholly reliable so he is just going with the flow.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
Wondering if he had it checked on a dyno or just trusted what Bama sent to him.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Wondering if he had it checked on a dyno or just trusted what Bama sent to him.

Probably was running the Bama tune for the pulley that came with the kit (7-9lbs iirc).

Even if the Bama tune was way rich, there wasnt enough head room in the tune to account for 14-15psi.

I would put the blame on neither Bama nor the motor itself for this, and 100% on the owner for changing shit without regards to whats actually happening. I bet it pulled like a raped ape, like they always do, before they blow up.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
damn, than thats even worse if hes running some mail order tune not even for a supercharged application.

Thats an expensive lesson to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread