2013 GT500 (possible blown motor) who do you recommend for build?

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
This post is for a friend (hopefully he'll register on here)..

Thought the car had a blown head gasket but now it won't turn over. If it is blown, he's looking to have it built to handle 1,000+...but where?

Any recommendations in Houston? Who to go to? Who to stay away from? Or should he send it outside of Houston?

Thanks..
:beer:

MattR

Established Member
Still could be a blown gasket, engines dont like to compress liquid. It could be hydrolocked, rod damage is possible in that situation, dont turn it over without pulling the plugs.

Read over the post that Bad Company has, it is full of information and even calls out a few engine builders. Maybe Accufab is close enough to hire.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Pull the plugs and inspect them for debris or if they are wet. That's the first and easiest thing to do to see where you stand.

And what happened as well... Mods/tune/etc??

paluka21

Established Member
As others have said, have him do some initial diagnosis to see if the motor is "blown". (It's a 2013 Shelby, so it better have a blower on it...haha) Will the motor turn over if he tries to crank it? What mods are done to the car?
I'd drain the oil to see if there are signs of contamination, and you can take a pen magnet into the oil to verify any metal debris present. Also a quick compression test on cylinders are also helpful as initial diagnosis. This at least is what I would do if it were my car, but won't obviously show a broken rod if that's what's going on.

Just my .02¢

Last edited:

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
Still could be a blown gasket, engines dont like to compress liquid. It could be hydrolocked, rod damage is possible in that situation, dont turn it over without pulling the plugs.

Read over the post that Bad Company has, it is full of information and even calls out a few engine builders. Maybe Accufab is close enough to hire.

That's what I figured but they already tried a few things before I talked with him. Hasn't pulled the plugs and even got it to turn over yet.

what happened?

As far as I know he was doing some pulls and the car started to sound funny. The car ran and when he parked it and shut it off it wouldn't start back up. Said it puked oil out the back of the engine but can't see any holes in the block or exterior damage besides the oil.

Was the motor modded to begin with?

Yes,...most bolt-on's and just swapped blower to a ported TVS and changed to E85.

Pull the plugs and inspect them for debris or if they are wet. That's the first and easiest thing to do to see where you stand.

And what happened as well... Mods/tune/etc??

It was flat bedded to Strictly Performance in Houston now waiting to decide what he wants to do and if he wants them to build it or not. I recommended M2K Motorsports and a few others but until you go through it you don't really know who to trust with a full build. Trying to get some ideas for him.

Anyone that's done a full build, what did you get in writing before hand and how did the process go with cost/budget? It's looking like $15-20k+ depending how wild he goes...

Bad Company

Established Member
I believe M2K uses Accufab to build their customers engines. You won't go wrong using them if that is the case.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Just remember the spray bore blocks need to be sleeved most of the time during rebuild...unless you want to buy a fresh block from ford. I had my 12's block sleeved and it's fully rebuildable now. Just a heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread