2013 GT500 Required Oil Quantity

2013SnakeBite

Established Member
I wanted to ask other Shelby GT500 members about the quantity of oil required in these machines. I'm intending on purchasing oil from another source and not use Motorcraft from the dealership. Probably Royal Purple or ???

Anyway, I've seen such a variety of information concerning the amount of oil necessary with, and without, the Track Pack. My vehicle is equipped with the Track Pack and I'm about to have my oil changed for the first time. Want to make sure I acquire the correct amount.

What's is the right number: 8.5 or 9.5 quarts? :shrug: :??:

Thanks for all responses and proper guidance! :beer:

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
It holds 9.5qts with the Track pack. However, you only put 8.5qts back in as 1qt remains in the oil cooler and does not drain during oil changes.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
The dip stick on these things suck. Honestly I checked mine today, 3 times and really could not tell the level.

verbal

Established Member
I would start off with 7.5-8 quarts and measure. I changed mine last week and 8.5 overfilled it.

The dip stick on these things suck. Honestly I checked mine today, 3 times and really could not tell the level.

Every time I check it the measurement is different. I can only get an accurate reading when the car is cold.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Just changed mine today,,,put 8 in and it looked good,,just got in tonight and I will check in the AM after it has had time to settle out. Drove about 60 miles tonight.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Checked mine this morning, between the holes,added the half, to the top hole.

Track pack car

8.5 quarts :beer:

440sprint

Established Member
Drain your oil completely and replace the oil filter. Replace the drain plug and put in 8.5 qts. of new oil. Start the car and warm it just to normal operating temp, filling the new oil filter. After all the new oil has drained back into the crankcase (5 min), check the oil level on the dipstick. Whatever that level is on YOUR dipstick becomes your "full" mark.

Some of our cars show a little different dipstick full-level!

2013SnakeBite

Established Member
Drain your oil completely and replace the oil filter. Replace the drain plug and put in 8.5 qts. of new oil. Start the car and warm it just to normal operating temp, filling the new oil filter. After all the new oil has drained back into the crankcase (5 min), check the oil level on the dipstick. Whatever that level is on YOUR dipstick becomes your "full" mark.

THANKS, 440...........Very nice directions and points to consider!
:rockon: :banana: ;-)

masonh

Established Member
I wanted to ask other Shelby GT500 members about the quantity of oil required in these machines. I'm intending on purchasing oil from another source and not use Motorcraft from the dealership. Probably Royal Purple or ???

Smart man and like everyone else said above you will only need 8.5qts and youprobably won't need that much. I just changed mine and put 4 two liter cans of 300V in it which is 8.4qts and I actually spilled a couple tenths probably. So I'd say I got 8.25qts in it and it was right up to the full mark. It's hard to get every drop of the old oil out and actually not necessary considering the cooler is holding a quart anyway.

I hear if you jack up the drivers side higher or just jack up only that side to change the oil you will get all of it out, but i just jack it up, drain out what I can while it's in the air and put the plug back it. 8 quarts would probably take care of you just fine.

In these cars 1/2 quart under filled is better than 1/2 quart over filled.

masonh

Established Member
Also I meant to tell you that if you go with Royal Purple, don't use the kind you buy at Auto Zone,

You need to buy the XPR or at least the HPS, but honestly I would go ahead and stick with the XPR. I got a 5 gallon jug from Jegs fairly reasonable.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member

Ding, Ding!! The dipstick are notoriously inaccurate. Put in 8.5 quarts and use that a the full mark.

Krieger

Established Member
Track Pack here and I used two 1 Gallon US Amsoil 10-40 containers stopping at 7 quarts to slowly add the remaining while checking dipstick.

Just hit the top hole on the last quart so 8quarts was it for me.

Afterwards I poured the used oil back into the empty Amsoil containers and filled them exactly (same out as in). Blindly pouring 8.5 quarts without checking the actual amount taken out might be a bad idea.

Bonus: Amsoil containers have a transparent back line making for easy verification, so after I finish recycling the oil I will be keeping these for pre-fill measurement. Mobil one has this as well.

Measuring removed fluid is always a safe bet against overfill, if you were properly filled in the first place that is.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Measuring removed fluid is always a safe bet against overfill, if you were properly filled in the first place that is.

True you will not be overfilled but you may end up being underfilled. This would not be taking in account any residual oil left in the filter (even if it been drained), burned oil (all engines burn oil even if you cannot see smoke or notice a difference on the dipstick) or any oil sucked into the intake through the PCV system (ever seen what is caught in the oil separators).

Adding all this up you could be 1/2 quart low if you only put back what you can measure coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread