2013 M6 JBA long tubes, offroad H, and Steeda 101mm cai intermittent stalling

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Has anyone else had a problem with stalling after long tubes when coming to a stop light? I recently went from cat deletes to long tubes and now when I press the clutch in and roll up to a stop light or stop signs, the idle will surge up and down and sometimes it will stall out and other times it will stumble and catch itself. Is this something that can be adjusted in the tune? I checked all exhaust connections, all air intake connections, and pcv. No leaks. I have a steeda tune and have contacted them about the issue, but haven't gotten any response to it. What should I do? If you had this issue, who's tune were you running prior, and who's tune fixed it? Thanks.

Deranged2013

Established Member
It is normal because of the O2 sensor location but It can be fixed with a tune revision. I had the same issue when I first put Long tubes on. Shaun at AED revised my tune and the surging went away and the idle was smooth.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
It is normal because of the O2 sensor location but It can be fixed with a tune revision. I had the same issue when I first put Long tubes on. Shaun at AED revised my tune and the surging went away and the idle was smooth.

I figured that. So, basically I need another tune. I contacted the guys at steeda but haven't gotten any responses. This was a couple days ago. I emailed the guys directly and that didn't work so I put in a trouble ticket on the website. Other than that, their tune is good, strong, reliable, and conservative. I hate to spend 200 on another tune just to fix an idle issue. Maybe i need to just go to aed and pay for it and do the data log process..

Deranged2013

Established Member
I figured that. So, basically I need another tune. I contacted the guys at steeda but haven't gotten any responses. This was a couple days ago. I emailed the guys directly and that didn't work so I put in a trouble ticket on the website. Other than that, their tune is good, strong, reliable, and conservative. I hate to spend 200 on another tune just to fix an idle issue. Maybe i need to just go to aed and pay for it and do the data log process..

He will fix more than just an idle issue and it's worth every penny. Not a thing against Steeda and no, I'm not a nut swinger, Shaun is just good at what he does. That's just a fact.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
He will fix more than just an idle issue and it's worth every penny. Not a thing against Steeda and no, I'm not a nut swinger, Shaun is just good at what he does. That's just a fact.

I'm not trying to turn this into one of those threads. I have spoken with AED numerous times and I know he's good at what he does. No denying that, just look around. I was just looking for input on what causes this. The guy at steeda said they've never had this problem on others and sent me the perameters to datalog so i will go back and fourth with them first to see if they can fix it. Its not acceptable at this point. Can anyone give me instructions or a link on how to setup the datalog? Ive never done it.

Last edited:

Deranged2013

Established Member
Yeah, didn't mean to sound that way at all. I have nothing against any other tuners out there but Shaun does have a fix for the issue your having. I know cause I had the same issue. As for data-logs, download live link gen II from the sct site. Pretty easy from there. Just need to figure out what logs your tuner wants to see.

Fast_5.0

Established Member
I have a Bama Tune and I encountered a similar issue. For me, it happens when I decide to run the car on or near empty (fuel). It's like there's not enough fuel to keep the car going, then I sometimes get a surge at idle and it shutsdown. Once I top her off with some more 93, she runs strong and idle is smooth. Now, whenever the needle hits the 1/4 mark, I stop by the station and fill her up.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I have a Bama Tune and I encountered a similar issue. For me, it happens when I decide to run the car on or near empty (fuel). It's like there's not enough fuel to keep the car going, then I sometimes get a surge at idle and it shutsdown. Once I top her off with some more 93, she runs strong and idle is smooth. Now, whenever the needle hits the 1/4 mark, I stop by the station and fill her up.

Sounds like you may have a pump issue. . Mine does it regardless of fuel level.

Shaun@AED

Improper O2 placement with Long tubes. Cold O2's read lean and the ECU richens the mixture accordingly. This results in a rich condition which is the #1 cause of idle / low speed surging and stalling.
Transport delays are not accessible via SCT in the 2011+ Fords. This makes tuning for longtube headers complicated.

We like Kooks the best due to their O2 placement being closer to stock than others.

Nuar

Established Member
Improper O2 placement with Long tubes. Cold O2's read lean and the ECU richens the mixture accordingly. This results in a rich condition which is the #1 cause of idle / low speed surging and stalling.
Transport delays are not accessible via SCT in the 2011+ Fords. This makes tuning for longtube headers complicated.

We like Kooks the best due to their O2 placement being closer to stock than others.

This is exactly why Shaun kicks ass.
You tried contacting Steeda for days now without any success and Shaun just popped in to explain the situation.
I always get a response to my emails to Shaun within a few hours AT THE MOST. :beer:

Joey8

Established Member
I have the same issue. I'm running a VMP tune with a JLT carbon Fiber CAI and american racing LTs with an offroad mid pipe. I sent my idle logs to Justin and am waiting for a revision. I hope he can iron the idle out. Kinda annoying and embarrassing when im just sitting at a light and the car stalls lol

Nuar

Established Member
Mine did that too on the first base tune from Shaun i got for dataloging, the final tune took care of that completely. I havent had a single stall except for when one O2 went bad, which is not tune related.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member

Thanks, Mr. Shaun.
Have you tried calling steeda
I have, they told me to data log idle.

scotmach

Established Member
I have the same issue. I'm running a VMP tune with a JLT carbon Fiber CAI and american racing LTs with an offroad mid pipe. I sent my idle logs to Justin and am waiting for a revision. I hope he can iron the idle out. Kinda annoying and embarrassing when im just sitting at a light and the car stalls lol

I have the same setup except with an off road x-pipe and never had any stalling issues. Odd.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
I had all of this on my 12 boss M6 JBA long tubes, offroad H, and Steeda 101mm cai, steeda tune.
Now I just have this on the car M6 JBA long tubes, catted H, stock tune and the engine has never once died at a light other than when I forget to drive and kill it myself or turn the key off...
bad tune or other issues.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I had all of this on my 12 boss M6 JBA long tubes, offroad H, and Steeda 101mm cai, steeda tune.
Now I just have this on the car M6 JBA long tubes, catted H, stock tune and the engine has never once died at a light other than when I forget to drive and kill it myself or turn the key off...
bad tune or other issues.
stock tune with long tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread