2013 Mustang 5.0 with Hellion Twin Turbo - Smoking Issue

Hani

Established Member
So we have this car that was bone stock prior to installing a Hellion twin turbo system. We are facing smoking issue that is apparent during braking, coming to a stop or driving downhill when applying brakes and going again.

We were suspecting the oil return lines and they were corrected as much as possible. We've asked Hellion for the best route or sample pictures of previous installations but no luck till now. Jeff has been a great help but it's very hard to get hold of John (the Tech guy in Hellion) for the last couple of weeks and he's at SEMA this week and we are stuck.

We also have the following points to highlight:
- Precision 62mm ball bearing turbos running around 6-7 psi
- Using synthetic 5w-30 motor oil
- -4AN oil feed line to the turbo and -10AN oil return line from the turbo
- Running breathers on both valve covers
- Oil return fittings in the oil pan are placed as per Hellion installation manual
- We have an oil cooler on the car that is placed in the left fender well just behind the front bumper cover
- We have flowed the turbos as per Hellion instructions and both has shown 8oz (Hellion standard 5 and 10 oz)

We've even removed the breathers and connected the factory PCV lines and same thing, still smokes in the same way.

The smoke is consistent; it comes whenever the above situations take place with almost identical amounts of smoke. The smoke never continues, it doesn't smoke on WOT as well. The car doesn't smoke on cold starts.

So any help/input especially from the people who are running this kit would be appreciated!

5lho

Established Member
I'd be thinking about putting restrictors on the feed lines. You may just be over oiling them. 4AN ain't huge but they can still flow a hell of a lot of oil under pressure.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
Put restrictors in the feed lines like mentioned above. A lot of Hellion cars seem to have this issue.

Hani

Established Member
I forgo to mention that these ball bearing turbos have build-in restrictors from Precision. Also, from the turbos flow results, they don't see too much oil. But it's still a valid point we might need different pill size restrictors.

Anyone our there with the same kit who has good pictures of the oil return lines routing, please chime in. We just want to rule out this possibility.

dennisn

Established Member
I'm still fighting same issues with my kit on my 16. Done all the same things you have. I don't think 8oz is too much. (Mine were about 8oz as well). Precision swears it's the drains. Once seasons over I'm gonna try a few more things. I'm not a fan of how my drain lines are run. Like to see if I can't get more pitch to them. Was also told by precision to check drain feed fitting holes make sure inside diameter is large enough. Mine smokes a shitton. It's only on the exhaust. Not a drop of oil getting into the tb or manifold.

Any pics of you oil cooler setup? I'm thinking about picking one up but would like to see how it looks.

cb900f

Established Member
Not a Hellion kit, but On3. Had the same problems. Swapped pans to put the drains at the front of the motor. Helped, but not completely gone. :-/ On3 said try a scavanger pump.

03Mocked

Established Member
I have the hellion kit on my 12 A6 car. Routed return lines as per hellion instructions no problems.... yet!

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Had this problem with my on3 kit. I tried all kinds of different crap to fix it, but what seemed to have worked is making sure the drain lines are as free flowing back to the pan as possible. I went from blowing clouds of smoke at stop lights to just a hint of oil smell by re routing the drain lines and getting rid of any crazy bends.

Hani

Established Member
Any pics of you oil cooler setup? I'm thinking about picking one up but would like to see how it looks.

It's the Mishimoto oil cooler, here are couple of pics:

oilcooler01_zps1xdtlptq.jpeg

oilcooler02_zpsouugahk2.jpeg

Not a Hellion kit, but On3. Had the same problems. Swapped pans to put the drains at the front of the motor. Helped, but not completely gone. :-/ On3 said try a scavanger pump.

Pics of the drain lines routing please!

I have the hellion kit on my 12 A6 car. Routed return lines as per hellion instructions no problems.... yet!

Hellion instructions don't show the any lines routing. Please provide pics of your routing if possible.

Had this problem with my on3 kit. I tried all kinds of different crap to fix it, but what seemed to have worked is making sure the drain lines are as free flowing back to the pan as possible. I went from blowing clouds of smoke at stop lights to just a hint of oil smell by re routing the drain lines and getting rid of any crazy bends.

Pics of the drain lines routing please!

Attachments

• oilcooler01_zpswnkbs2wv.jpeg
    oilcooler01_zpswnkbs2wv.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 181
  • oilcooler02_zps8joi0zfn.jpeg
    oilcooler02_zps8joi0zfn.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 202

Users who are viewing this thread