2013 rear gear whine????

Bad03Cobra

Gotta love Boost........
Established Member
My factory gears whined very bad and I had another set of gears installed being 4.10's and now that car went to the track for a few 1/4 mile passes it is whining again..Anybody else with this problem? :fm:

Planeswalker

Established Member
I had this issue with my '11 Roush, had to take it back and get them re-adjusted. Haven't had any issues since then, mechanic did the adjustment for free.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
My gears whine, stock. Went to ford once already and they claimed it to be normal, so they did not even open them up ( service guys wanted to, but ford denied it) Ill end up having someone else make the adjustment and not even bother with Ford

Anarchy

Established Member
it whines during smooth cruising and goes completely away when you let off gas pedal

Mine does the same. Dealer not where the car came from said they would have thier SVT tech take a listen but did not go. Afraid to let folks touch. Hasn't gotten any worse.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Bad03Cobra

Gotta love Boost........
Established Member
but the big problem is that I had the factory gears taken out and put in brand new gears and pinion bearing and now its even worse than stock..something else is going on than just gears.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I had gear whine. Ford "fixed" it once. Started to whine again so i decided to fix myself with some 3.73s. Ford had backlash at .028. Highly unacceptable. I did it and all the whine is gone, but alot of wheelhop showed up at the party

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
but the big problem is that I had the factory gears taken out and put in brand new gears and pinion bearing and now its even worse than stock..something else is going on than just gears.

did you use the F150 pinion bearing? cuz apparently thats whats used in these cars

Bad03Cobra

Gotta love Boost........
Established Member
I had gear whine. Ford "fixed" it once. Started to whine again so i decided to fix myself with some 3.73s. Ford had backlash at .028. Highly unacceptable. I did it and all the whine is gone, but alot of wheelhop showed up at the party

what did you set lash at when you did it????.022???

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
The f150 pinion bearing does not fit. At least the one I got was different.

I set the backlash at .007

Recommended is between .002 and .010

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
The bearing I got for my performance package car didn't fit. I cross referenced the part number van gave me on tousley's site for vehicles it fit. Went to the parts store and got that bearing and it was too small.

Bad03Cobra

Gotta love Boost........
Established Member
The bearing I got for my performance package car didn't fit. I cross referenced the part number van gave me on tousley's site for vehicles it fit. Went to the parts store and got that bearing and it was too small.

The f150 bearing is the bigger of the 2. my car is a performance package also

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I'm thinking they gave me the wrong bearing. The part number was right...the factory bearing was larger in diameter. Same height and inner diameter.

I put 100 miles on them last night and two hard hits on the interstate with bad wheelhop. Still no whining.

mullens

Established Member
it whines during smooth cruising and goes completely away when you let off gas pedal

My 2010 did that. Took it in... dealer said normal noise. My 13 doesn't do it.. yet. I'm starting to think it's not in the differential or it would do it all the time. Maybe the tranny?

Aero7

Established Member
So what if you don't accept the "that's normal" answer from the dealer?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread