2014 gt500 ic pump on 04 cobra

tfe_man

Established Member
Was wondering if it is possible to put the intercooler pump from a 2014 gt500 on my 04 cobra and if it is would it be better or the same as just buying a new Ford racing one thanks guys

SlowSVT

Established Member
The IC system in our cars is actually pretty effective right out of the box on a system that doesn't get very hot to begin with and doesn't do anything when not under boost so there is no huge heat exchange taking place like what's happing at the engine radiator so don't expect much improvement making changes. A larger pump means is the luke warm coolant is moving faster in the system. Water picks up heat much faster than it can get rid of it. The slower pump may be to your advantage here as it will spend more time in the HE.

I think the best you can do here is a larger HE and seal the gaps around it. Here is a Gords HE next to a stocker. This is the largest HE that fits properly in our bumper cover and it's single pass design which should be easier on the pump. I've seen Terminators with the GT500 HE but it was so tall they had to cut the bumper cover foam extending it beyond the opening where it's efficiency is somewhat diminished. Some of the road racer guys who are basting the IC system constantly with boost reported not seeing huge gains to be had even over the stock HE but I think a larger one can't hurt.

GordsandfactoryCobraheatexchanger3.jpg

The larger pump will also tax your alternator more which is one thing the stocker does not have in abundance. Having reserve capacity to drive the fuel pumps is more important than a larger IC pump.

tfe_man

Established Member
Trust me if I didn't have to change the pump I wouldn't but mine is going bad so I need to get a new one and if the gt500 one works is less expensive then the Ford racing pump but I don't know if I can just bolt the gt500 pump right up or do u have to make modifications so I was just wondering if anyone has tried to do this thank you and to one of your points has anyone heard of xs battery's thank you

tfe_man

Established Member
Sorry about that and I know that they aren't to expensive but I can get a gt500 one for a lot cheeper so I was just wondering

Users who are viewing this thread