2014 GT500 vs 2017 GT w/727 hp the rematch is on may need help

magrag

Established Member
My brother found out from his dealer that he fried his clutch, so while they are doing the clutch ( at his expense) replace he is having a whole lot of other stuff done. I can not even remember all the crap his is having the dealer do, but I will list what I remember.
Short throw shifter
Better half shafts
Lowering kit
Some kind of suspension (traction bars)
A different tune (not from Ford dealer)
I am not sure if that is all????
Our remach will not be til spring and I was thinking what I might be able to do to counter his mods.
I do not want to go too deep and do all the work my self.
And I an NOT telling him that I am doing anythig!!!!
Any sugestions??
What would a tune do?
I have Corsa exhaust and air intake res eliminate, that is all for now.
Thanks for the help and I will keep you updated.

Chase_

Established Member
Tires should definitely be first on the list if you don't already have a decent pair. Preferably drag radials if your not DD the car. Then I would personally go throttle body, a 2.4 upper pulley, and a tune (multiple different guys on here that can get you a safe reliable tune). I had the exact same mods as you when I initially bought my car. I recently installed everything I just listed^ then had it tuned by Lund and its a whole different car especially being able to hook up in second.

zsommer79

Established Member
So you don't want him to know you changed anything or don't want him to know until it's too late?

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Tires yes, but wait and see if you need to do anything. Unless you really want to change something, wait and see what happens. You have a great car.

Imatk

Established Member
Unless you are going to an actual strip (and even then maybe) I doubt your problem will be power... it will continue to be traction.

If you have stickier tires and can actually pull out of the hole you'll beat him. (like I said before :) )

magrag

Established Member
I don't want him to know ever ( or at least for a long time) want to take some more air out of his sail.
Want him to think that he wasted more $$$$$ and still just has a GT with superchager.
Tires are going to be regular street tire. I have MPSS all season and they seem good so far. I thought a tune would be real simple, but will it be worth it??
What could I expect from a tune in my car's somewhat stock condition??

MastaAce03

Established Member
Just a tune would probably net you 25 rwhp. But if you tune it, you might as well throw a throttle body and intake on. Question is, how important is your warranty to you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Beercules

Established Member
Your warranty should be about up. Look at van's 13-x kits. Throttle body will be shinier, but still say Ford on it. That, 10% lower (hard to see), tune, I think that gives 60 peak at the wheels (lots more under the curve) ... ask van, he won't sell you something you don't need. Intake... he might notice unless you go to the super big jlt. Normal jlt is carbon fiber.
Possibly look into lethal's off road h-pipe? It would be louder though.

Suspension mods to put it to the ground!

boduke0220

Established Member
If he gets a tune he's prob going to be in the 650-670 range so if you can do a pulley tune and good tires you'll prob take him

1971mach1

Established Member
My brother found out from his dealer that he fried his clutch, so while they are doing the clutch ( at his expense) replace he is having a whole lot of other stuff done. I can not even remember all the crap his is having the dealer do, but I will list what I remember.
Short throw shifter
Better half shafts
Lowering kit
Some kind of suspension (traction bars)
A different tune (not from Ford dealer)
I am not sure if that is all????
Our remach will not be til spring and I was thinking what I might be able to do to counter his mods.
I do not want to go too deep and do all the work my self.
And I an NOT telling him that I am doing anythig!!!!
Any sugestions??
What would a tune do?
I have Corsa exhaust and air intake res eliminate, that is all for now.
Thanks for the help and I will keep you updated.

blue 07

Established Member
I have a 13 GT500 with a JLT Big Air CAI, VMP 2.4 upper and idler pulley, SCT X4 tuner that was tuned on the dyno and I'm at 670 at the wheels, which should be at 750hp or so, with a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, hooks up pretty well. If your close to those type of mods, your 2014 you should be fine. Just mention to him it cost you less than $1500 to make that kind of power !!

Papaw

Established Member
I'm going to vote for the pulley/tune combo.
It's simple, cheap and with a "stock look" pulley he'll never suspect that you've added another hundred ponies.

This situation is what having a brother is all about! Why else have one?

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
It's great that you and your brother can share fun times in 2 awesome cars. And despite the fact he's getting near the end of his power potential ... Eeerr..this ain't over after the next time at play ! I have the 2.4 upper and it really works. But I needed the Metco pulley tensioner otherwise the belt can easily slip. You're only gaining 2-2.5lbs boost ..perhaps 3#'s at redline so slippage is costly.
The only time I pulled 3#'s was above 6500 and that was with Belt Conditioner before the pull. Otherwise it's 2-2.5lbs for me. That's why I'm considering going back to my stock upper with a 10% below...also invisible and you're at 3-3.5lbs boost. And no slippage because the belt wraps around a bigger crank not a smaller upper.
As we recall before the clutch went your brother was already slipping traction. Assume he will correct that with LCA's. Since you don't want DR's (which your brother may soon have) I'd stick with your stock 331's for traction because you have the Michelin Sport cups. Then consider a 10% lower pulley, TB and a tune. Out the door will this all cost you around $1800? Yup.
But you stand to pick up 100HP. Learn to run that gain with your 331's and you'd still have a daily driver experience around town and should crush whatever upgrades ( DR's/LCA/ high Tq clutch) that he's bringing . Knowing there will likely be a 3rd race day you can bank the MT DR's + gears potentially in your future arsenal. ** I'd definitely practice " low rolls" from 20-30-40 because that's gonna happen ! Look at your dyno sheet...experiment....do test hits your for most consistent /best 2nd gear TQ band stabs.
I recall your original post and I'm sure your brother has "fond memories" of that day. I also have a friend who's picking up his 727 GT from Lebanon but with the extra 5K in upgrades (LCA/suspension/gears/clutch) . If I was you and I'm very serious ? I don't want to look at a possible loss then a 2/3 rebound. I'd assume a "little bump" in my power is likely not enough for a guy who's UPGRADING.
All the guys here are giving you great advice. So please let me apologize for my rant. Somewhere in this thread you will make your choices.. You guys are 2 lucky dudes ! Oh....PLEASE keep us posted ? Good Stuff Bud !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread