2014 Mustang GT ticking/tapping noise.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Can anyone please explain why changing oil would cause a ticking noise to begin with...? Seems so odd that fresh oil and filter would somehow trigger this phenomena. Crazy

slick3

Established Member
Can anyone please explain why changing oil would cause a ticking noise to begin with...? Seems so odd that fresh oil and filter would somehow trigger this phenomena. Crazy

Fresh oil has its stated viscosity and lubricity properties at its highest level. Over time used oil breaks down and the viscosity is sheared down the more and more miles on it.

I have no idea what causes this and I have not the slightest clue as to why MC 5-50 makes my car tick so bad but 5-50 amsoil completely eliminated the problem. There really are no VALID explanations other than maybe a higher film strength in the amsoil is helping out.

Gear Poet

Established Member
For what it's worth -- and one case is not worth much -- ticking in my '14 GT started twenty miles after the first oil change (Motorcraft 5w-50, as recommended). I immediately changed out the oil and filter to the "old standby" I use in my Lotus Elise and my NC Miata -- Mobil 1 Eurospec 0w-40. No tick on start, none since. I'm thinking the cams and other odds 'n' ends are very sensitive to additive formulations, including zinc/phosphorus.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Hey guys. Yes I searched here and on Google. I have read countless posts on this topic and still can't come up with an answer. My car is making that ticking noise that we've all heard so much about. Has anyone actually figured out what it is? No it's not the fuel injectors. This has no rythym. Some people say theirs started after an oil change. Mine has always done it. Before I changed the oil and after. Mine takes 5w50 oil being that it has the Track Pack option. Full synthetic. Maybe the oil is too thick? Or maybe the synthetic isn't allowing the motor to break in? Honestly to me it sounds like exhaust ticking. Like when you shut a car off and you hear the exhaust cooling down. But this only does it with the car running, warmed up, low rpm's. Driving me nuts.
Hello Honest Mike,

Have you addressed this with your Ford Dealer yet?

Deysha

dick1969

Hi everyone new here glad to be here.i have a 2012 brembo .I bought it with 12,000 miles on it . Not soon after I noticed a tick ever so light.took it in mech herd it to . They tore it down scorn everything camshafts cylinders crankcase to find out that was second new engine in car .it had like 3,000 miles on new engine ford put a third engine in 2014 model it's holding up well . I love the car but wow .sit seems like there is a big problem with a lot of these engines.

Established Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSTMuIfQGKY

This is my car last August.

Two things that people are bringing up: Track pack cars, and non-motorcraft oil.

The ticking started with my car at 47500 miles or so, as far as I could tell it never happened before. I started putting full synthetic in the car--mobil 1 5w20--around 20,000 miles. The 47500 mile oil change the dealership put in the synthetic blend accidentally. This is the first time it ever did the oil change tick. It's had a ticking noise on the right side that it seems many people have, for a long time, but the dealership has always said it's normal. I ask every time I go there more or less to make sure.

This is my car after getting the oil changed by the dealership. This is the first time it ticked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcBT6nyATcw

I went to the dealership once but couldn't get the noise replicated. I got rid of the oil immediately, putting back the full synthetic as I'd been using it for thousands of milees with no problem. The tick remained. Through mobil 1, redline synthetic, and amsoil ss, all 5w20 it has ticked as in these videos, from then on. I'm at 57600 miles now with Amsoil SS 5w20 with 1600 miles on it. The car still ticks a bit going up a hill, but only at around 1800 rpm-2000rpm. I got a UOA for the first time at 56000 miles with the redline synthetic in it. The redline ticked, but not nearly as badly as the mobil 1 or the motorcraft. The amsoil ticked much more than the redline, but less than the other two, so it will be interesting to see how the UOA comes out. I know I will have 1-2000 miles left on the oil, but I'm going to change it at 59XXX miles to take one last crack at getting the dealer to take a look at it. I will also preserve the oil filter this time (as I have not done this with any previous filter) and have the dealership or a shop I trust crack it open for documenting. Other than that I guess I'm going to have to live with it.

I am interested in seeing how the 2015s turn out. I hope for the owners' sakes better. I have read a lot of people say, 'I got used to it,' but I drive with my windows down. Just can't not hear it.

Nuar

Established Member
My car just started doing this.
I noticed it here and there a while back, but didn't pay much attention to it.
I just changed my oil, might not be related at all but it seems to be doing it quite a bit lately.

I guess its time to start saving up for a new motor. If it goes, it comes back stronger :p
I've read somewhere that this is either belt or belt tensioner related. Possibly AC compressor....

[youtube_browser]QeOXVFyS13w[/youtube_browser]

SVTTony

Established Member
I don't remember when mine started ticking (base model 14 M6 with 26k miles) its at the dealer waiting on the ok to add the belt and tensioner for the AC, the TSB is only for the 11-12 cars. I'll post again when I get it back.

In neutral it will tick only with the AC on and not that much only really if I apply throttle.

While driving I hear it in first and second gear while going slow by other vehicles or walls.

Last edited:

Mustangfresk196

Established Member
I've just noticed this exact thing as well on my '13 GT. Only will do it under a light load. Never does it at idle. Took it to ford 9 days ago. Guy said he would need to send ford a message about a fix. Didn't hear anything for two days, stopped by guy wasn't working, left a message with a the woman working the desk, no response 4 days later, left the guy a message on his voice mail, still no response... I'm getting really pissed off to say the least.

avexhype

Established Member
Sorry folks, hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you have this tick as described in the last two videos, you'll need a new shortblock. Only thing that's guaranteed to fix it, but no telling if your new shortblock will do it down the line either. I had to get mine replaced a few months ago.

Here is my thread with plenty of videos to go along with it:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...BQ-Tick-Story-with-a-Happy-Ending!&highlight=

Note: didn't seem to affect drive-ability or performance, but boy in the summer heat it was starting to get REALLLYY loud that people in other lanes would roll down their window's and ask me if the sound was "normal".

Last edited:

BenV8

Established Member
mine do the same thing but just when the engine is cold. when is warm up the sound disappear.

BenV8

Established Member
is it that there someone here who motor make tick and don't go to the dealer to the complaint or the dealer don't make anything for that noise? Is that the sound amplified

80KM2E

Established Member
2014 6MT TrackPack - Mines been ticking after 3rd oil change which is when I switched to Amsoil 5W50 & Amsoil EaO17 Filter. (Went to dealer previous two changes)

I'm almost due for another oil change & will be using Amsoil 5W50 again, but this time with a K&N filter.

I took to dealer and they heard noise... They didn't know what it was but did the tension belt TSB & added some oil additive I believe. Same ticks, just less pronounced and wasted time.

I haven't heard any ticking lately since the oil is broken-in now. I fully expect the BBQ tick to return in full force on next oil change & will keep y'all updated.

EPISODE II : RETURN OF THE TICK!

Dave07

Established Member
My ticking has been getting worse lately. It has been getting very loud. Are you guys talking about the BBQ tick that happens randomly or the tick that is always present. Mine always seems to be present

50blackout

Established Member
For what it's worth -- and one case is not worth much -- ticking in my '14 GT started twenty miles after the first oil change (Motorcraft 5w-50, as recommended). I immediately changed out the oil and filter to the "old standby" I use in my Lotus Elise and my NC Miata -- Mobil 1 Eurospec 0w-40. No tick on start, none since. I'm thinking the cams and other odds 'n' ends are very sensitive to additive formulations, including zinc/phosphorus.

This is exactly what I used and it went away! Mobil 0w-40 European ftw!!! You guys that are using 5w-50 that have the tick trick should give this a try.

Dave07

Established Member
A guy I work with uses MotorKote to quiet down his old F150 and he swears by it. He bought the truck at a discount price due to the ticking when the truck had about 16,000 miles on it. The truck now has 200,000+ miles with no engine issues. I wonder if its worth trying? I might try it out and see if it works. The ticking is so annoying. Anyone getting this with Amsoil 5w-20?

SVTTony

Established Member
Well the dealer told me that they couldn't really hear anything and that the 13 and 14 couldn't have the pulley and belt TSB added cause the timing cover was changed. Gonna try the 0-40 mobile one next oil change. but that's a while away just did an oil change about 300 miles ago

Users who are viewing this thread