2014 Mustang GT ticking/tapping noise.

Dave07

Established Member
I tried the Motorkote and it quieted the ticking noise a little bit but it is still present. For the 0w-40, can that be used in non track pack cars?

50blackout

Established Member
I tried the Motorkote and it quieted the ticking noise a little bit but it is still present. For the 0w-40, can that be used in non track pack cars?

It definitely can!! Think about it, the Motorcraft 5w-50 goes down to (shears) to a 40w within 700-800 miles. Also, make sure not to over fill it. Good luck!!!

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
My 14 base 6M got an oil change a week and a half ago, with the AC off I just got the tick. It was bad enough that it caught my attention at the drive through, and I could hear it clearly over my off road pipe and GT500 mufflers when idling at the house. Mileage is just under 26000.

RusWolf

Established Member
I have an 11 with ticking sound started after the most recent oil change.
I noticed that it comes when the AC is on, so i think i need to do that TSB for 11-12s.

My car has a paxton on, do you guys think dealership will refuse to do the TSB due to the SC?

Nuar

Established Member
Mine has stopped I think, I haven't noticed it the last few times I drove the car, i'm about 400-ish miles after an oil change

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Mine has made the BBQ tick while at a drive through a few weeks ago but hasn't done it since. It was the first time that I noticed it my car is a 13gt with 25000mi. That was right after a oil change, Mobil 1 5w 20 Wix filter. I'm also supercharged but with so many non sc cars having the same problem I don't think they can blame the sc for the tick.

Boiler AvMech01

OP, I had the same tick after my oil change at ~ 10,300 miles. It was really bad with the AC on (sounded just like the video you referenced), but without the AC on the tick would only happen once every 30-60 seconds or 1st / 2nd gear at low speed / rpm.

Took it to the dealer and had the service rep listen to it. He heard it and made sure the service manager and lead master mechanic (crew chief) heard it as well. They troubleshot using their on site data and found nothing. They then called Ford engineering for help. I am not sure what Ford engineering had them do in detail yet, but I know they checked the upper valve train and stuck a camera in the motor to check other areas.

Long story short I am getting a new short block put in next week. Just waiting for it to ship / arrive. :banana:

Hope you get it squared away without too much hassle. This was extremely painless from my perspective. I was prepared for a bit of a fight after reading some of the poor customer service stories I have ready concerning this issue. It was basically an automatic replacement once the dealership confirmed what the engineers were looking for. No haggling, no questions or finger pointing, etc. I personally think that Ford knows these engines have an issue whether it is inherent to the engine or they had a bad lot of engines I am not sure, but my experience just seemed too easy after reading all of the forum data on this subject. Maybe I just have a really good dealer. I am just happy with the results. If only they didn't chip the paint on my hood and tear my e-brake boot. :mj:

Good luck!
2014 GT Track Pack, Ingot Silver Metallic, Corsa Sports, No resonators

Last edited:

80KM2E

Established Member
Back with an update for you all..
I had the tick for the first time last time I did an oil change; which is when I switched to Amsoil 5W50 & Amsoil EAO17-EA Filter (which I pre-filled)

This time around I used the same Amsoil 5W50 but with a K&N HP-2011 Filter (Did not pre-fill the filter this time) Drove it like I stole it pretty much right after the change... And I've also put ~2000 km on since the change and there is absolutely no more bbq tick.

Curious to know what filters you guys are using and if you pre-fill them or not. Also curious if you are sticking with the same oil or switching between weights and brands every change... just things to consider. I'll personally be sticking with Amsoil 5W50 and K&N HP2011 for now on and report back on next oil change (which will be soon with the way I drive)

I'm wondering what Ford does with all these perfectly fine short blocks, lol

mpette

Established Member
I'm using Mobil 1 5-20 EM with the AMSoil filter. There has always been a slight ticking noise that I always wrote off as coming from the injectors or valve train. It didn't change after I started using the AMSoil filter. The only thing I noticed is slightly higher oil pressure, I assume because the filter is more efficient than the Fram ones I used previously.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Amsoil
Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil, wix filter, no problems in the 5.0 or 3.7

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Funny I caught this thread and saw Deysha posted here. I've read numerous threads on other forums and she seems to get it done, period....no matter what the issue. As for the tick, I have a M6 with close to 40k with no tick. I met a guy I bought some parts from who just got a 15 manual and within 3000 miles developed the tick. Ford tore it down and found nothing. Put it back together, no tick. I read extensively on the subject and it seems that most people will know if it's going to tick by 10k miles, or immediately after the first oil change. It has been the source of debate as to if there was some sort of additive in the factory fill oil as such. I personally run M1 5/20, sometimes the M1 EP oil with a simple $3 filter. I have the basic mods, CAI, TB, Cat delete and full exhaust system with tune blah blah. I change my oil at 3-5k without fail. I don't care what oil you use, all oils lose their lubricity (yes that is a word) factor and begin to fail. Changing it more often is CHEAP insurance against lubrication system failures, which seems to at least in some way be related to this issue. Unless you have an issue, I don't see the point in wasting money on oil analysis either given for roughly the same amount you could just change it. You've got a 400+ hp hard working 5.0, just spend the money to take care of it!

Gear Poet

Established Member
Not an advert. '14 GT/track pack

Like others on this thread -- BBQ (not A/C) tick on the second oil change, using the recommended Motorcraft 5w-50. After 200 miles I changed out the oil to Mobil 1 Eurospec 0w-40. Tick stopped immediately. Hasn't returned in 3 oil changes using the M1. I've used that particular oil in a Mazda MX-5 track car and a Jeep TJ built for offroad competition; never had issues with it in real life or Blackstone testing.

nate714

Established Member
someone asked if it happens to non track packs / automatics, the answer is yes. mine 14 a6 just got the tick after first oil change @ dealership @ 6000 miles.

Deaconprime

Hey guys. Yes I searched here and on Google. I have read countless posts on this topic and still can't come up with an answer. My car is making that ticking noise that we've all heard so much about. Has anyone actually figured out what it is? No it's not the fuel injectors. This has no rythym. Some people say theirs started after an oil change. Mine has always done it. Before I changed the oil and after. Mine takes 5w50 oil being that it has the Track Pack option. Full synthetic. Maybe the oil is too thick? Or maybe the synthetic isn't allowing the motor to break in? Honestly to me it sounds like exhaust ticking. Like when you shut a car off and you hear the exhaust cooling down. But this only does it with the car running, warmed up, low rpm's. Driving me nuts.

Hey guys, sorry i'm late to the party but I had the same issue with my 2014 Mustang GT and had to go back and forth with the Ford dealership. They ended up contacting Ford Corporate for advice. The resolution was Ford recommended was small block replacment. So after I received my car back didnt feel the same and ended up buying a 2015 GT. I had the 2015 for 3 months now and guess what....hearing some ticking again, I've scheduled its first oil change and will see what happens after that.

70monte

Established Member
My 14 base model GT/automatic is at 18,400 miles with no tick. I use 5W-20 Motorcraft blend with the Motorcraft FL500s filter. I also use the OLM to change my oil. I also did not change my oil early. I let the original oil fill go 4,600 miles and one year from the time the car was manufactured.

Wayne

1FastFord

Established Member
This is why I got rid of mine, even replacement short block ticked and I had enough

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
There is no concrete answer to this. I am not losing sleep over it anymore, my car has 28,000 miles and no issues other than the igniter tick after oil changes. FWIW an 09 GT500 that I had briefly did the same shit when hot, erratic tick|igniter tick. My 14 GT is a track pack car and has had the tick since the day I brought it home with just a handful of miles. The tick is most pronounced right after an oil change and subsides within 500 miles or so. Since going to M1 5W-30 it is barely noticeable after an oil change and even that goes away quickly. I was initially using a 5-50 and then a 40 weight for changes and the igniter tick was very pronounced right after oil changes at those weights. The track pack cars did come with a 5W-50 fill from the factory, that is why I was doing my fills at higher weights, then came to the conclusion I don't track the car and something around 20 or 30 weight would be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread