2015 Camaro - If GM moves away from retro, would you really buy one?

Would you buy a Camaro if they moved away from retro?

• **** YES!

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • **** NO!

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • **** GM!

Votes: 19 38.0%

• Total voters

Coiled03

Established Member
Nope....haven't seen a Camaro yet that I like better than a Mustang of the same generation. I doubt that will change anytime in the near future.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Nope....haven't seen a Camaro yet that I like better than a Mustang of the same generation. I doubt that will change anytime in the near future.

Mustang II? :)

010_mustang_ii.jpg

30270760001_large.jpg

Even though I think the current Camaro is a POS, I'm not brand loyal. I went from an fbody to a Cobra. Although I enjoyed my 03 more, I still miss my LS1 fbody.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Mustang II? :)

010_mustang_ii.jpg

30270760001_large.jpg

Even though I think the current Camaro is a POS, I'm not brand loyal. I went from an fbody to a Cobra. Although I enjoyed my 03 more, I still miss my LS1 fbody.

Id rather take the II. In terms of handling/feel and tech, it was light years above the equal generation camaro. MustangII suspension is ftw.

TClark22

Established Member
All this stuff you guys are claiming...lighter, faster, stronger...is the exact same shit you guys said about the 2015 mustang...

I'll never be in a camaro myself unless its a 1st gen...Other gens aren't my taste.

I don't like the mustangs either from 71-93, 05-09...although I have gained love for 93 cobras. Only reason i would buy a fox outside of a 93 cobra is to drop a LSx and big turbo in it and take it to the track.

TTNotch

Established Member
The thing Ford guys need to worry about isn't what the car looks like, but if the New Camaro gets the same LT1 as the Vette. That thing is brutal. Guys are making over 1K HP on stock internals.

I don't think the 2015 Mustang is going to weigh much less. I've seen the car in person and it "looks" the same size as the current one but with the heft of an IRS.

The M4 is much larger than the M3 but weighs less. Size can be deceiving.
There’s is a significant difference in structure in the Ford, looks like better packaging.
Could this be enough to lose or maintain weight is still unknown.

Anything can be made fast, 1khp on stock internals is such a conflicting ideology. People have made 1100whp+ on stock 03/04 motors, but who gives a shit? Making 1khp will cost you a shitload of money, might as well build the motor.

Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place but what I seem to find is that the coupe is 3418lbs. Do you have a link to the source which states the weight is 3315lbs? I found the V6 sedan to be 3461lbs. The V6 coupe's weight has yet to be revealed. Would the ATS C V6 accept the V8 without any chassis modification or lengthening? Are we taking into account the heavier transmission bigger brakes, wheels, tires, ect? I’m thinking the next Camaro would probably weigh between 36-3650lbs.

On the S550, check out Mustang6g. I don't know what to believe anymore with this car as Ford is keeping mum and leaving out way too much info. Their are several threads indicating it is all new architecture and others indicating an evolution of the current chassis. When Ford releases more info we will know for sure but the wheelbase is exactly the same so who knows.

As for the Camaro, the Alpha platform is significantly lighter and has a shorter wheelbase than the Zeta platform which is what the current Camaro is on. Keep in mind the G8 and new SS are on the Zeta as well. The Alpha is a mid size platform. GM has confirmed the Camaro is getting smaller, you can google it.

ATS weights are listed as 3315-3461. The LS/LTmotor is similar in weight to the V6 too. It should come in at 3500-3600 I would assume.

From what I’m reading, there is an engineer at Ford mentioning that the S550 has a new chassis versus someone who doesn’t have a say in anything related to Ford claiming that it‘s been modified. Take your pick.

I thought I read somewhere that the LT1 is heavier than the LS3. Once it goes in the chassis, engine weight isn’t the only factor. There are other components that play in to its final weight. For example, the V6 Camaro is still lighter than the V8 by 110lbs. If, in fact, the LT1 is heavier I would expect that margin to increase.

On another note I did read that the next Camaro will look very similar to the one that’s on sale now. 36XXlbs with similar looks isn’t very appealing in my book.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
The M4 is much larger than the M3 but weighs less. Size can be deceiving.
There’s is a significant difference in structure in the Ford, looks like better packaging.
Could this be enough to lose or maintain weight is still unknown.

Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place but what I seem to find is that the coupe is 3418lbs. Do you have a link to the source which states the weight is 3315lbs? I found the V6 sedan to be 3461lbs. The V6 coupe's weight has yet to be revealed. Would the ATS C V6 accept the V8 without any chassis modification or lengthening? Are we taking into account the heavier transmission bigger brakes, wheels, tires, ect? I’m thinking the next Camaro would probably weigh between 36-3650lbs.

From what I’m reading, there is an engineer at Ford mentioning that the S550 has a new chassis versus someone who doesn’t have a say in anything related to Ford claiming that it‘s been modified. Take your pick.

I thought I read somewhere that the LT1 is heavier than the LS3. Once it goes in the chassis, engine weight isn’t the only factor. There are other components that play in to its final weight. For example, the V6 Camaro is still lighter than the V8 by 110lbs. If, in fact, the LT1 is heavier I would expect that margin to increase.

On another note I did read that the next Camaro will look very similar to the one that’s on sale now. 36XXlbs with similar looks isn’t very appealing in my book.
Good point on the S550, I just have not found anything other than speculation on the chassis. I'm not sure of the weight on the LT1 but you may be right although it is probably a small difference.

Sadly the new Camaro looks are not changing much. They already have the body on the new chassis and execs stated it did not change much, just different proportions. I agree on the weight as well. Always over estimate in that regard. I see it losing 200lbs at most depending on model though as their is a 3-400 lb weight difference btw an SS and ZL1 on the 5th gen.

Users who are viewing this thread