2015 Ecoboost Mustang - Fake Engine Noise

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
People who just want to buy a Mustang for looks and don't care about major performance will buy the V6 as that is the base/cheaper model. The EB drivetrain is solid and was build w/ performance and internationality in mind. Hence, you can order the Performance Package in the EB and GT but you can't in the V6. With Ford's EB hot hatches on a raise, it was very smart to offer a EB Mustang from a monetary and performance standpoint.

From what ive heard the v6 will be a rarity on dealer lots, and is mostly for rental/fleet use.

The 2.3L EB is the base model that most of the consumer base will have access to. Dont be surprised if the v6 is phased out within the next few years if the 2.3L EB proves to be formidable and reliable. If it busts and ford ends up spending too much $$ in warranty, dont expect the 2.3L EB to make it to a facelift.

acrbill

Established Member
This is pretty old tech.

Interesting that ford is using it though. Likely to appease the 95% of owners that dont want to hear crazy loud spool up vacuum cleaner sounds every time they hit the gas.

I remember seeing this tech on an old 90's show called "Beyond 2000" where they made a corolla sound like a F1 car from the inside to a beefy V8 to absolutely nothing at all through noise cancellation/augmentation.

Its going to sound deep like any other turbo 4cyl out there. The turbo backpressure helps mellow out the usual rasp of n/a 4cyl's.

You either like the sound of a full 3" turboback exhaust or you dont.

I wish this forum had reputation points LOL. Would rep you for life. LOL

Charlington

Established Member
Somebody make a tuner for my radio! I want it to sound like a Beechcraft Staggerwing with a radial engine.

Last edited:

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Pretty lame in my opinion. I removed the sound tube from my car for a reason, its just plain cheesy. Next there will be Mustangs with giant wings, LED's underneath, and fart can mufflers...:nonono:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Pretty lame in my opinion. I removed the sound tube from my car for a reason, its just plain cheesy. Next there will be Mustangs with giant wings, LED's underneath, and fart can mufflers...:nonono:

all of these things can already be found on the current v8's.... lets be honest the jdm / herrrafrush crowd will stick with their god.....honda.

You do not need to worry about the ricer scene jumping ship to join the mustang crowd..... at least until these cars sell for <10k used

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member

I really don't understand your analogy/logic about how an inside cockpit factory sound enhancer has to do w/ big spoilers, leds and fart cans?

Can you explain yourself better please?

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
I really don't understand your analogy/logic about how an inside cockpit factory sound enhancer has to do w/ big spoilers, leds and fart cans?

Can you explain yourself better please?

Sure.

Using the car stereo to make your car's engine sound better than it does is analagous to putting a giant wing or fake hood scoop on a Honda. Neither provide any function, they merely make themselves out to be something they're not. Its the classic joke of "every stick on scoop adds 5HP", just like making fake vroom vroom noises though the speakers actually makes the car sound better. They dont add 5HP and it doesnt make the car sound better, it merely fakes those gullible enough into thinking the former.

The next logical step is putting speakers out the back of our cars and downloading the sound of whatever exhaust we'd like.

Its my opinion, you dont have to agree. I just prefer the actual sound over a doctor'd up synthesized version.

Troponin

Established Member
Whatever happened to the 6 cylinder turbos that used to sound really cool? I remember a buddy of mine that had a Supra with a really large diameter exhaust that created an extremely deep tone. Turbos usually do this though, so what am I missing with these cars?

For instance, this is a little raspy for my tastes, but otherwise I think this sounds good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=941DvgDmHuI

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sure.

Using the car stereo to make your car's engine sound better than it does is analagous to putting a giant wing or fake hood scoop on a Honda. Neither provide any function, they merely make themselves out to be something they're not. Its the classic joke of "every stick on scoop adds 5HP", just like making fake vroom vroom noises though the speakers actually makes the car sound better. They dont add 5HP and it doesnt make the car sound better, it merely fakes those gullible enough into thinking the former.

The next logical step is putting speakers out the back of our cars and downloading the sound of whatever exhaust we'd like.

Its my opinion, you dont have to agree. I just prefer the actual sound over a doctor'd up synthesized version.

Yet many other manufacturers do the same.

I guess they're all ricers? Lol @ BMW being rice.

Whatever helps guys like you sleep at night I guess.

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
Sure.

Ok. Thank you for your answer. Still I don't see how an enhancing sound parameter will influence people in that way. At least I haven't seen that in the BMW/Mini/Audi/Mercedes/among others crowd. You saying people w/ Mustangs are humanly/genetically different than others and they are more susceptible to react to engine sounds that way?

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Its cheesy for any of them imo, brand makes no difference. I think its sad that BMW would do it too, its just a gimmick. If they want the car to sound good why dont they just make it sound good? Putting a V8 sound over speakers to a hamster wheel does not make the hamster wheel any different and to those that think "that hamster wheel sounds awesome!" i just laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread