2015 Ecoboost Mustang - Fake Engine Noise

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost-fakes-its-engine-noise-1638853878/all
As fuel economy and emissions requirements get stricter, automakers increasingly turn to engine downsizing and turbocharging. There's just one problem: many turbo engines don't sound that great. This means some car companies choose to fake the engine noise, and it looks like the 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost is the latest victim of this chicanery. 2

We Drove The 2015 Ford Mustang: It's Still Best With A V8 And A Stick

Few cars have garnered more attention than the new American performance trifecta. Between the C7…

That's right: the Mustang, the original pony car, an American performance icon, has resorted to pumping augmented engine noise in through the speakers, much like modern turbocharged BMWs do. This makes me kind of sad.

This revelation was made by Road & Track's Jason Cammisa during his recent drive of the car, in which he pulled a fuse on the 2.3-liter turbocharged Mustang that caused both the stereo and the engine to go quiet. P

So the folks at Autoblog today asked Ford what the deal was, and here's what they uncovered:

Autoblog spoke with Ford engineer Shawn Carney who confirmed that only the turbocharged four-cylinder Mustang comes with this system, called Active Noise Control.

In fact, Carney is partially responsible for tuning and shaping the EcoBoost's note in the Mustang, and he said the setup serves two distinct functions. First, it cancels out some of the coarse noise as part of the 'Stang's refinement strategy. P

It also allows Ford to enhance things by "layering in certain sound characteristics on top of what's already there," he said. To determine the right mix, the engine processor monitors torque output and changes things accordingly. "The intent is to be a natural experience," said Carney.

Active Noise Control, they call it. Granted, it's not like the car is pumping in an entirely fabricated sound, but at the same time it's inauthentic, isn't it? Can you enjoy the engine sound if you know it's not real, and being piped in through the stereo? P

The UK's CAR magazine had a mention of this in an interview with Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Perciak last year. I guess this didn't get much attention at the time. Here's the section in question:p

With the Ecoboost engine we have both active noise cancellation, and we also amplify the existing engine sound order. We don't create an artificial sound, we don't pluck one off the shelf, we bring in the real sound, process it, and play it through the car's speakers. Today's V6 sounds fantastic, and although the Ecoboost won't sound like a V8, it won't sound like it doesn't belong in a Mustang either.P

Ford isn't the only manufacturer to do this, and it isn't done entirely because most turbo engines sound like crap — it's also to keep down noise, vibration and harshness. Today's cars are loaded down with insulation for a reason. 7

Previous Mustangs have had some sound augmentation as well, but that was done through a resonator pipe between the engine and firewall designed to let in more noise. BMWs go even further than this, playing a recording of an engine sound over the speakers.8

The last time I drove a BMW M235i, I loved the way it sounded, but I couldn't allow myself to enjoy it because deep down I knew it wasn't real. Maybe that doesn't matter to everyone, but it matters to me. Noise is an important part of a driving experience, and a car that doesn't sound great isn't worth owning.10

It doesn't seem like Active Noise Control is equipped on V6 and V8 cars, which is good. But Autoblog closes with one more disappointing tidbit: this system is integrated into the Mustang EcoBoost's head unit, so upgrading your stereo means no more engine sound.12

Bummer.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It's a 4 cylinder. I would rather not hear it unless it's all turbo noise.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Lots of cars have been doing that for a while, including BMW.

If you get the Nav, hope it doesn't sound crappy with an aftermarket exhaust.

I'd say replace the HU and mod the exhaust. I'm worried though that the EB is going to sound terrible, exhaust or not.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
This is pretty old tech.

Interesting that ford is using it though. Likely to appease the 95% of owners that dont want to hear crazy loud spool up vacuum cleaner sounds every time they hit the gas.

I remember seeing this tech on an old 90's show called "Beyond 2000" where they made a corolla sound like a F1 car from the inside to a beefy V8 to absolutely nothing at all through noise cancellation/augmentation.

I'd say replace the HU and mod the exhaust. I'm worried though that the EB is going to sound terrible, exhaust or not.

Its going to sound deep like any other turbo 4cyl out there. The turbo backpressure helps mellow out the usual rasp of n/a 4cyl's.

You either like the sound of a full 3" turboback exhaust or you dont.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Slightly more high tech than the intake tubes used for sound in the Coyote and Ecoboost. No biggie on a non-V8.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have this on my '14 Mini S (with BMW 4-cylinder turbo engine). I honestly cannot tell the difference from inside the car. Sounds like a normal exhaust. I've also heard the same car from outside and it sounds normal. So yeah, I'd say for a non-V8 it shouldn't be a biggie.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I see no issue as they are just trying to give the buyer the experience they prefer. The fact is... people who buys the Ecoboost Mustang are most likely people who'd rather have the GT but don't want or can't afford the larger payment and less efficient MPG but still want the characteristics of a Mustang. I still don't understand why the fanboys get so upset the Ford is trying to get a larger market segment.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I see no issue as they are just trying to give the buyer the experience they prefer. The fact is... people who buys the Ecoboost Mustang are most likely people who'd rather have the GT but don't want or can't afford the larger payment and less efficient MPG but still want the characteristics of a Mustang. I still don't understand why the fanboys get so upset the Ford is trying to get a larger market segment.

I dont necessarily agree with that. I think most people that get the 2.3L EB dont even care about the whole turbocharged 4cyl, easily 95% of buyers. They could likely care less what motor is even in there, they just want a Mustang. So Ford is trying to make sure there are no complaints about excessive engine noise.

FWIW, this is why there are many differences between the 90-94 and 95-99 turbo DSM's, is due to bad feedback mitsubishi got on the overall noise and driving characteristics of the 90-94 cars. Mitsu went through, put on a smaller turbo to reduce the lag complaints, flexible intake piping and silencers to reduce overall intake noise (that vaccuum cleaner sound), etc. Most people complained about everything that made those cars so special at the time. Most buyers were un-informed about how the cars should sound and feel, and it sounds like Ford as well as other manufacturers are trying to avoid that.

Voltwings

Established Member
I had a healthy dose of Methanol on my Mazdaspeed3 (direct port Do3 nozzles in each runner of the IM), and i would shoot fireballs when i shifted lol. Honestly, the turbo 4 appeals to people who like turbos, people who like mustangs, people who respect performance .... i Love mustangs, but i also have a love for turbo 4's so this car puts me in a really tricky spot... i'll wait for people to put one through its paces before any decisions are made. That being said ... artificial sound through the speakers is not something i'm particularly fond of, but its nothing an aftermarket exhaust cant fix.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Lots of cars have been doing that for a while, including BMW.

If you get the Nav, hope it doesn't sound crappy with an aftermarket exhaust.

I think it sounds good uncorked.

CALIF BOSS302

Established Member
I guess now you will need a "Equalizer" to "tune" this car :eek:

Little more bass, a little more mid BAM! Better and cheaper than exhausts.

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
...I think most people that get the 2.3L EB dont even care about the whole turbocharged 4cyl, easily 95% of buyers. They could likely care less what motor is even in there, they just want a Mustang...

People who just want to buy a Mustang for looks and don't care about major performance will buy the V6 as that is the base/cheaper model. The EB drivetrain is solid and was build w/ performance and internationality in mind. Hence, you can order the Performance Package in the EB and GT but you can't in the V6. With Ford's EB hot hatches on a raise, it was very smart to offer a EB Mustang from a monetary and performance standpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread