2015 Mustang Complete IRS

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
When I was at SEMA I saw several 2015 IRS complete assemblies in the Ford Racing areas. It looks like a nice design, and they are selling kits to beef it up for drag racing and/or road racing. But, I don't see much potential for adapting the 2015 IRS to older Mustangs or other cars/trucks. It is 64.9" wide (rear track).

Any thoughts? How long before a solid rear axle kit hits the market?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'm gonna go out and say an SRA won't be needed unless you are trying for 7s and faster. There's plenty of IRS cars in the 8s and I'm betting Ford built a stout one.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
A SRA swap is not going to be a simple endeavor. You better plan on back-halfing the car if you want to take it on.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Didn't the car with the huge rear wheels have a 9" swap? Or was that a 9" center section IRS?

The bushing swap in the IRS looks like a huge PITA. Like worse than the FTBR kit in the 03/04. That should have been an option from the factory or part of the PP.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Didn't the car with the huge rear wheels have a 9" swap? Or was that a 9" center section IRS?

The bushing swap in the IRS looks like a huge PITA. Like worse than the FTBR kit in the 03/04. That should have been an option from the factory or part of the PP.

The RTR spec car has a 9-inch diff from DSS in the IRS. Not sure if you're talking about a different car.

There's no way the solid FRPP bushings would ever come close to passing any Ford NVH tests for a production car. Even the 2000 Cobra R had rubber bushings.

starnsey

Established Member

The one with the huge rear wheels DID have a solid 9". Looked like from the original pictures it was tubbed as well.

Users who are viewing this thread