2015 Mustang GT Catback weight.... wow

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Decided to weigh the stock catback off our 2015 after we removed it because it felt a lot heavier then older years.

And your results

2co25n9.jpg

15y82mq.jpg

Will weigh the aftermarket one shortly and post results

Last edited by a moderator:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Are you gonna throw it on the dyno to verify what the aftermarket companies are saying about the cat back?

Voltwings

Established Member
Mind posting up the weight for those of us whose work computers block photos? Thanks.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Are you gonna throw it on the dyno to verify what the aftermarket companies are saying about the cat back?

LMR did a before and after of an exhaust and only got about 15whp. I'd be interested to see a few more results though.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
yes. we want to see this gain as well if theirs any. The catback doesn't seem to be the restriction the shorts and mid pipe thats 2.5" is what bothers me. LOL

Mind posting up the weight for those of us whose work computers block photos? Thanks.

04svtsnke

Established Member
Look at you ford. Making everything pathetically over weight so the aftermarket can come to our rescue and redeem you from what presently looks like an extreme **** up in the performance category. Will be interesting to see what else you guys find that can be easily remedied.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I can't wait to see the gains from catless exhaust and/or long tubes. I've read somewhere that the cat pipes neck down to 2" in some places!

Voltwings

Established Member
Look at you ford. Making everything pathetically over weight so the aftermarket can come to our rescue and redeem you from what presently looks like an extreme **** up in the performance category. Will be interesting to see what else you guys find that can be easily remedied.

I believe the term is "sandbagging." If all the components on the car are heavier, it isnt going to be hard to miraculously improve the performance (which is still already an improvement over the S197) come revamp time. Ford cant continue to give us 100 hp increases every generation, its just not physically possible, they have to leave SOME things in there that can be improved upon. Besides, dont act like every part that comes on every car is perfect, otherwise there would be no after market :rolleyes:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I believe the term is "sandbagging." If all the components on the car are heavier, it isnt going to be hard to miraculously improve the performance (which is still already an improvement over the S197) come revamp time. Ford cant continue to give us 100 hp increases every generation, its just not physically possible, they have to leave SOME things in there that can be improved upon. Besides, dont act like every part that comes on every car is perfect, otherwise there would be no after market :rolleyes:

You'd think it would cost them a lot more $$ per car to build a tank of an exhaust like that than something lighter and simpler.

Voltwings

Established Member
You'd think it would cost them a lot more $$ per car to build a tank of an exhaust like that than something lighter and simpler.

Oh, I agree, but let me play the Devil's Advocate here.

Which is harder (read: more R&D and/or expense), sandbagging the car now and opening it up later

or

giving us a kick ass platform now and having to find ways to improve later. That's the reason the Boss came at a premium to the GT, they were searching for every 1/2 HP they could get from the cylinder heads, tuning, etc... It may cost a lot now, but could save a lot later.
Again, I am 100% shooting from the hip here and could be WAY off, but those are just my thoughts on it.

Users who are viewing this thread