2015 Mustang GT Catback weight.... wow

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I'm sure the catback (full factory h pipe, resonators, and axle back) is not that much lighter on a 2011-2014. I think people are confusing axle back being 71 pounds. LOL

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Until we see the aftermarket exhaust weight, we won't be able to compare accurately. The main weight reduction on the 2011-14 after the cats can be had with lighter mufflers. I would think the rest of the exhaust from mid pipe back would pretty much break even.

That may be the case with the 15 too, but 71+lbs. sounds awfully heavy. Thanks to BBR for doing this.

Voltwings

Established Member
Its still somewhat apples to oranges since the '15 has that big ass mid muffler. It shouldn't be surprising if the '15 catback is heavier for that reason, especially since we can probably assume the axle backs are of similar design.

Husker

Established Member
Look at you ford. Making everything pathetically over weight so the aftermarket can come to our rescue and redeem you from what presently looks like an extreme **** up in the performance category.

Ford is actually helping the economy, by Adding Weight...One vendor & it's employees make's the overweight stock parts, then another vendor & its employees make a better mouse trap, and all the other companies (Shippers, Retailers etc..) & employees benefit as well-->:rolling:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Wonder who will be the first to try a dual in/out muffler with turn downs...

Not much room for this underneath with the new chassis design and IRS

Until we see the aftermarket exhaust weight, we won't be able to compare accurately. The main weight reduction on the 2011-14 after the cats can be had with lighter mufflers. I would think the rest of the exhaust from mid pipe back would pretty much break even.

That may be the case with the 15 too, but 71+lbs. sounds awfully heavy. Thanks to BBR for doing this.

Magnaflow claims theirs is 30lbs less they factory.

No problem.

Branhammer

Established Member
Oh, I agree, but let me play the Devil's Advocate here.

Which is harder (read: more R&D and/or expense), sandbagging the car now and opening it up later

or

giving us a kick ass platform now and having to find ways to improve later. That's the reason the Boss came at a premium to the GT, they were searching for every 1/2 HP they could get from the cylinder heads, tuning, etc... It may cost a lot now, but could save a lot later.
Again, I am 100% shooting from the hip here and could be WAY off, but those are just my thoughts on it.

Agree 100%, because I've learned most Mustang fans can't be satisfied. If they made it the best they possibly could, then next year they wouldn't be able to improve much on the car and we'd bitch and cry about it like we always do and talk about how Ford dropped the ball. Eventually we'll be crying about how the GT doesn't cost $25,000 and come with 1,000 hp all motor and doesn't cook us breakfast every morning.

"I can't believe the 2030 Mustang doesn't teleport to the 4th dimension. This is bull****! Ford dropped the ball again!"

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Ford is doing what Ford does. The history of the Mustang has always been the working man's pony car, that can be molded and turned into what you want it to be. The extra weight seems to be coming from parts that are easily replaced, AND will add more power once removed. You please both crowds. The crowd that will not mod and do not want a loud crazy car, so its refined, and the crowd who wants a loud crazy fast car and screw refinements !

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Also remember that IRS is going to add 150-200lbs. Overall, the car actually is lighter if you changed to a solid axle. I think some folks are overlooking that.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Also remember that IRS is going to add 150-200lbs. Overall, the car actually is lighter if you changed to a solid axle. I think some folks are overlooking that.

They also come with power seats now on base models. And like 11 bazillion air bags.

I was thinking about it, I'm actually more impressed with this car than before. MT shows it sticks to the ground just as well as a boss 302, with more weight, worse tires and a softer ride.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
How do we know the IRS adds that much weight? The Band-Aid version that went into the 99/01 and 03/04 added less than 100 lbs (I had both, and did swaps with both). It would *seem* that a properly-engineered IRS shouldn't add more than that - and probably should add less. However, I don't know, and again....how do we know what it added, or what it would have weighed with a stick axle? Seriously curious...

I'll keep my other weight comments to myself....this time... ;)

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Air bags, more electronics/gadgets, creature comforts, etc, would seem to be where a good deal of the extra tonnage comes from. Perhaps the exhaust too, given it has to work around the IRS. Dunno...

Users who are viewing this thread