2015 Shelby GT350 Powertrain

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Better stay in that pipedream if you have any hope of that car beating the GT350 like you think it will lol... Fully prepped S197 cars are losing to basic bolt on suspension S550 cars, tons of people are making the switch, theres just no comparison between the platforms. But please, tell me more about how a Roush GT is going to walk a GT350 R around a track, its fascinating :)

Lol +1..

Look up what the S197 stage 3s were doing when the magazines would test them. They picked up a tenth and 3 mph over the stock GTs in the quarter. The boss 302s were running better times.

The R will make a stage 3 it's bitch.

Voltwings

Established Member
Yup, that's my bad, didn't realize there was an S550 Roush already.

I still stand by my statement though, you'll find that amount of power surprisingly useless on a track with all but the most extreme tires and aero.

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
Yup, that's my bad, didn't realize there was an S550 Roush already.

I still stand by my statement though, you'll find that amount of power surprisingly useless on a track with all but the most extreme tires and aero.

Yeah - I don't disagree - tying back to all those complaining about "only" 526HP.

My point was really more about this being a $100k platform -vs- starting yet another bench-based pissing match.

That said - Roush does a pretty good job of making a decent packaged product. Can't help make a stooge like me a "real racer" - but I'm guessing in the hands of a skilled driver it will quite easily be a strong competitor with the "R", I just don't know racing classes well enough to know that they'd ever track head-to-head.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Honestly, the only time those cars will likely meet is in the hands of people doing open track days, at which point the car in most cases is far faster than the driver. I realize now where you were going with your original statement, i got a little hot headed and started the pissing match there.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I didn't realize the S550 RS3 was out yet.

But even then, the lighter weight of the R, the rev range and gearing may make this car quicker than expected for it's hp/weight.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
$100k?? Seriously? It's a commodity chassis with some boutique parts chucked at it. It's "evolutionary" as a Mustang, hardly anything near "revolutionary" as a sports/track car. Anyone with a checkbook will be able to put these parts on any Mustang a year from now.

If you're a guy like me, that could care less about existing inside some sort of "stock track car classes" this is a nicely powered yet mildly over-priced Mustang with a degree of uniqueness thanks to Ford's decision to dole them out like candy to a diabetic. I can get a Roush Stage 3 (today!) for the same as (if not slightly less than) an "R" - and while there's obviously no comparison available yet, I bet when it happens the Roush will own the "R" in the straights and the "R" will likely take it back in the turns.

Swap the steel bumpers and wheels on the Roush for tech that's on the "R" and the "R" will be looking at tailights all day. And the Roush will still have the useless back seats. Actually reading more on the Stage 3 it will probably own the "R" period....

Ford has done a great job with the tech - great car for a Mustang, sure, but this thing isn't anywhere near a $100k car. I am sure Ford labored as long over the price point as anything.

lol... I think I just talked myself out of the pipedream of landing an "R" and into a Roush... :loser:

You mean like how the last generation Roush Stage 3 outperformed the GT500? Oops! Nevermind. It didn't, not even against the '11/'12 GT500. You seem to forget all those 20 lbs bags of rice Roush likes to put in their cars. It probably weighs close to 4000 lbs. Although the S550 Stage 3 is much more subdued than previous Roushes and actually looks pretty good. I still wouldn't take one over a GT350, though.

That said, you're right about the price. No way in hell I'd pay $100K for one! That's Porsche money! Not to mention a world of other choices out there at that price point. For $100K, the GT350 would have to be something wholly unique unto itself to get my money! I'm talking aluminum chassis/body and whole lot more carbon fiber bits and functional scoops and ducts.

Voltwings

Established Member
^^ Something along the lines of a C7 z06. Love the GT350 as i may, its not Z06 money.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
^^ Something along the lines of a C7 z06. Love the GT350 as i may, its not Z06 money.
With a little bit of patience, I expect you will be able to get a GT350 for MSRP. And at that price point I think it is a hell of a car. Remember, C7Z06s were not available at close to MSRP either when they first came out...

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
With a little bit of patience, I expect you will be able to get a GT350 for MSRP. And at that price point I think it is a hell of a car. Remember, C7Z06s were not available at close to MSRP either when they first came out...

Agreed. This time next year, MSRP or less. Just like 04 Cobras, and 08 GT500s. The people in line that have to have it now, will pay markup.

assasyn

Established Member
You could give these away for free and you guys would still find a way to bitch.

"Ugh. I have I pay taxes on a free car."

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member

Did you mean the C6Z, because the C7Z was certainly available at MSRP.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
A roush will not perform or hang with the gt350. Money wise, how in the hell does anyone think the gt350 is overpriced? It's not even 10% more than the boss 302 was.

The gt350r is barely 12% more than a 2000 cobra r was 15 years ago, and inflation adjusted its 25% less than an 00 cobra r was...

Over entitlement and sensationalism has ruined this country

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

Speaking of pricing, it has been a couple weeks since they did it and still no one has mentioned it on SVTP, but GM has dropped the base price of the Z28 to $68K.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I think the left over 2014 cars are down to $68,000. The 2015s only dropped to $72K if memory serves. The fact that they still have 2014s is hilarious to me.

Voltwings

Established Member
ive only ever seen one at the track in the past year ... And it was the only Camaro ive seen out there at that.

Users who are viewing this thread