2016 Camaro SS drops 223 lbs and runs 12.3 @ 116

john11gt

Established Member
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/che...nt/Pages/news/us/en/2015/sep/0914-camaro.html

"Chevrolet testing shows the all-new, 455-hp (336 kW) Camaro SS coupe – the most powerful Camaro SS ever – sprints from 0-60 mph in 4.0 seconds and covers the quarter-mile in 12.3 seconds, when equipped with the all-new eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission."

"Consequently, the base curb weight for the 2016 Camaro is 368 pounds (167 kg) lighter than the previous model. The 1SS model is 223 pounds (101 kg) lighter, while offering 29 more horsepower, for a 14-percent improvement in its power-to-weight ratio."

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Nice numbers. Not a big fan of the styling, but it might grow on me.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The LS motors are ridiculous at making reliable power and now they have the weight drop that everyone has been asking for. Ford is in some trouble unless they go balls out on the next Mustang GT.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
dis_gon_be_good.gif

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Darn impressive! I do like the '16 Camaro over the last gen, and I like the over design over the new Mustang. I don't, though, like the chopped roof look which I hoped GM would change with the new Camaro. Just makes it a bit claustrophobic on the inside. I'd like to take one out for a test drive when they hit the showroom. Just to compare the new one to a 2012 that I once test drove. I have a dealer two blocks from the office.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Hopefully Ford can do a refresh on the front end of the S550 and a powerbump. Now that the cars have similar weights the GT is trailling the SS in performance.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
same thing as the new edge vs ls1 camaro/firebird though, its going to be a lot of more expensive and will still lag in sales. a premium gt is about 36k and an SS camaro is over 41. but performance wise camaro is going to be better like it always generally has been.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
This shouldn't be surprising to anyone. We already knew the Camaro was dropping at least 200 pounds across the model line, and many of us already predicted that it will be slapping the Mustang around for the next 10 or so years.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Welp, it already out handled it by a quite a margin and now its going to whoop its ass in the straight line. At least the 5.0 will have the “looks”? LOL Thiswon’t go tooo well with the 5.bro's

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
It's about time Ford implements the use of a lot of aluminum in the mustang, a la f150!

BlueSnake01

Established Member
same thing as the new edge vs ls1 camaro/firebird though, its going to be a lot of more expensive and will still lag in sales. a premium gt is about 36k and an SS camaro is over 41. but performance wise camaro is going to be better like it always generally has been.
Difference is that the NE GT didn’t have a cult following like the 5.0’s have. The SS Camaro and Firebird’s were in the Cobra range, so the pricing was right at the time. The GT’s couldnt compete with these cars and looks like its being put back in its place like before. They had a succesful run though while it lasted.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
almost 42 grand for an SS.... its still going to be outsold in bunches by the mustang GT, if anyone thinks otherwise you have not been following the automotive world, the average person doesn't care that the car does 12.8 at 110 or 12.3 at 116.

for the record though i would buy the camaro over the mustang, but this forum is a tiny part of who buys these cars.

Users who are viewing this thread