2016 Camaro SS drops 223 lbs and runs 12.3 @ 116

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
By bringing their weight down to what a similar sized/comparable car in its class was already at?

however you slice it, they just took a car and cut 200+lbs off of it while still meeting safety standards. So it's possible if these companies want to do it.

Voltwings

Established Member
The only reason they had 200 lbs to lose is because the outgoing one was so damn heavy to begin with... lets not get confused here.

Troponin

Established Member
BUT GT350!!

Seriously though, as always, we are in the race for hp. Some companies, like Chrysler, have stopped messing around and just went full retard on the power, while others are doing no more than they have to to have the slight edge on the other manufacturers.

The difference between these two methods comes down to one thing; money. GM and Ford both know if they lose that price range market, they will suffer. So, we will just continue seeing this trend of going back and forth until the next fuel crisis or the gubment steps in and decides to put more restrictions on them.

I have decided that if I get out of this Mustang, I am going straight to the top of either performance, or performance luxury. So, I am either going to end up with a new CTS-V, GT-R, vette or viper. That way, I don't have to sit around and worry about who might inch me out by 20hp every year.

Last edited:

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
Just so were aware, I just looked on edmunds:

2016 Camaro SS is 30lbs lighter (3,685) than a 2015 Mustang GT (3,705)
2016 Camaro SS is 20hp more (455hp) than a 2015 Mustang GT (435hp)

Yes, totally will destroy a S550 GT. Totally destroy.

Totally.

You guys are hilarious. Looks to me like it will come down to the driver (and probably tire since ford cant seem to put a good tire under their cars to save their life).

bingo. thought i was on ls1tech for a second. ill wait for the official tests, and not GMs hero run numbers they like to push.

the 10 speed auto comes in 17, along with a power bump. I'm actually more excited to see their answer to the GT350 which as already become the darling of the auto world. and see them beat 50K base and 65K loaded.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Yeah but there seems to be a baseline that is continually increasing.

Yeah, I think the weight will go up over the next few years unless they develop another lite platform.

The only reason they had 200 lbs to lose is because the outgoing one was so damn heavy to begin with... lets not get confused here.

Rationalize it however you want, it lost weight. Let's get Dodge to follow suit:bash:

Rct851

Established Member
Safety requirements aside are the stock PP wheels not boat anchors? My friend has his stock 2015 cat back laying around and it is very heavy. I'm not saying the stock stuff has to be the same as the lightest aftermarket stuff but clearly to me there is 100lb that could be taken off stock with minimal increase in msrp. Maybe these items would affect long term durability but really doesn't have any safety drawbacks

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Safety requirements aside are the stock PP wheels not boat anchors? My friend has his stock 2015 cat back laying around and it is very heavy. I'm not saying the stock stuff has to be the same as the lightest aftermarket stuff but clearly to me there is 100lb that could be taken off stock with minimal increase in msrp. Maybe these items would affect long term durability but really doesn't have any safety drawbacks

yep, 32 lbs a wheel.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Just kind of funny how the one thing the Ford guys used to argue was that chevy and dodge's weighed a shit ton. Now the 1ss is nearly the same weight as the mustang...

Rct851

Established Member
Just kind of funny how the one thing the Ford guys used to argue was that chevy and dodge's weighed a shit ton. Now the 1ss is nearly the same weight as the mustang...

And we praise them for making it happen.

HandBanana

Established Member
How long before the base V8 cars are 500hp? Although they'll probably be over 4000 lbs by then. This new 'Maro will definitely pull on stock 5.bros, not sure where the driver's race argument is coming from.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm a 5.bro and I'm not even mad. I'll happily admit that if I could've had a choice between a Mustang, Camaro or Challenger when buying my '11, I would've ended up in a Challenger. But for my price range, an '11-12 GT was my best bet. :shrug:

I think it's awesome of GM personally!

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
And the ZL1 is getting the Z06/CTSV 640hp motor. With the lighter setup, it's going to be interesting!

vergil

Established Member
Darn impressive! I do like the '16 Camaro over the last gen, and I like the over design over the new Mustang. I don't, though, like the chopped roof look which I hoped GM would change with the new Camaro. Just makes it a bit claustrophobic on the inside. I'd like to take one out for a test drive when they hit the showroom. Just to compare the new one to a 2012 that I once test drove. I have a dealer two blocks from the office.

+1

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
With Magnetic Control dampers, more power, less weight, GM I think has this round in the bag for performance. I wonder if you can see out of the damned things though, this was the killer for me when I test drove a 15 1LE and ZL1.

vergil

Established Member
bingo. thought i was on ls1tech for a second. ill wait for the official tests, and not GMs hero run numbers they like to push.

the 10 speed auto comes in 17, along with a power bump. I'm actually more excited to see their answer to the GT350 which as already become the darling of the auto world. and see them beat 50K base and 65K loaded.

Some of you guys are really funny, they already yes DESTROY the s550 over a second in Willow Springs even with the current gen Camaro, with the new car, more power, better suspension and chassis, lighter car it will only get worst for Ford. Quit being jealous it is a good deal for that money.

Users who are viewing this thread