2016 XSport vs. 2016 Acadia Denali

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I know there's some bias here toward Ford products, but wanted to get your opinion anyway.

I am cross shopping new and CPO'd 2016 Explorer Sports w/ 401A package/moonroof/2nd row buckets and 2016 GMC Acadia Denalis. I'm less familiar with the Acadias but have driven a '16 XSport and a '17 Acadia and a '13 Acadia to try to get an idea about how they differ. The 2017 Acadias are damn nice -- they are a completely new model but are too expensive -- no attractive financing, no rebates, etc.

The difference is the '16 Acadia Denali has a third row bench instead of 2 seats for the third row as seen in the XSport. I like the third row bench, and there is more room in the Acadia, even in the third row. I think the Explorer has more cargo space, especially when folding the third row seats down.

My thought here is, the XSport is a fresher vehicle while the '16 Acadia is an outgoing model. Performance obviously goes to the Explorer too.

What are your thoughts on this? Has anyone cross-shopped them?

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Never looked at the Acadia's until after I bought my Durango. They look like a knock-off Durango if you ask me.

I did drive a new Explorer Sport before I drove my Durango and bought it. It was a nice car, but, lacked "power" and feel of an SUV. Felt like riding in a sedan to be quite honest. The Explorer came in much higher compared to my Durango and had features I don't think we'd use on a daily basis.

Great car, current incentives are decent on the Explorer's and they look awesome. Downside is they don't feel like an SUV and are overpriced just a tad.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Never looked at the Acadia's until after I bought my Durango. They look like a knock-off Durango if you ask me.

I did drive a new Explorer Sport before I drove my Durango and bought it. It was a nice car, but, lacked "power" and feel of an SUV. Felt like riding in a sedan to be quite honest. The Explorer came in much higher compared to my Durango and had features I don't think we'd use on a daily basis.

Great car, current incentives are decent on the Explorer's and they look awesome. Downside is they don't feel like an SUV and are overpriced just a tad.

Explorer Sports are much quicker stock vs stock than a Durango R/T, so not sure why you felt the Xsport lacked power?

Back to OP, I would think an Explorer Limited would be a better apples to apples. The Xsport is unique in it's power and AWD. I'd take the Xsport over the Acadia. Limited to Acadia would be a toss up.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Went through this in 2013, it came down to the Explorer Sport and the Acadia Denali.

We loved the looks and feel of the Acadia but in the end is was a slug compared to the Sport.

kaz109

Established Member
I would not consider a denali or any GM for that matter. My wife had had nothing but problems with her yukon denali (been in for warranty work 6 times alresdy )before that it was nothing but problems with the new 2007 Tahoe she had.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Explorer Sports are much quicker stock vs stock than a Durango R/T, so not sure why you felt the Xsport lacked power?

Back to OP, I would think an Explorer Limited would be a better apples to apples. The Xsport is unique in it's power and AWD. I'd take the Xsport over the Acadia. Limited to Acadia would be a toss up.

Simple,

Both are mid-high 14 second trucks and 0-60 in low 6's. The Durango has a bunch of torque out of a V8 and AWD and Doesn't have turbo lag.

Drive both and you will understand.

The explorer is not "much" quick, I'd say it has an edge. I'd hope so being a lighter and smaller SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I saw a new Durango RT running mid 15's, I was disappointed. I've never noticed turbo lag in the Xsport stock or tuned. The turbo's are so small lag is pretty much non existent.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I saw a new Durango RT running mid 15's, I was disappointed. I've never noticed turbo lag in the Xsport stock or tuned. The turbo's are so small lag is pretty much non existent.

They've gone 14.6-14.8 many times by a my of owners on DodgeDurango.Net.

I've learned a lot about them from some of the owners that have done testing stock and modified.

Sure, a tuned and down piped turbo will go faster. I could have gotten an SRT8 GJC and called it a day but it would mean buying used and spending more. The Durango is great overall with the nice V8, sport handling and size.

I like the new explorers but again, it felt as though it hesitated each time I went WOT driving one.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
turbo lag is about as non existent as it can get in a ecoboost.

I don't know if the Acadia Denali has improved since 2014, but I drove one for weeks, along with a mid model n/a v6 Explorer (both brand new in 14)....and I thought the Explorer hands down was better and nicer, lol. It had better interior, better ride and more power. The sport model is even nicer and a lot more power. I would go with that between the two.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

I don't know if the Acadia Denali has improved since 2014, but I drove one for weeks, along with a mid model n/a v6 Explorer (both brand new in 14)....and I thought the Explorer hands down was better and nicer, lol. It had better interior, better ride and more power. The sport model is even nicer and a lot more power. I would go with that between the two.

I can't ever recall turbo lag in either of my Ecoboosted vehicles(11 SHO, and current 13 Xsport). From a take off and through the mid range "feels" much more powerful and responsive than my DD 16 GT. I would describe it as instantanous Torque.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member

Wow! My 2013 EcoBoost F150 lags bad from dead stop full throttle (you know, where you're trying to pull out and not get creamed?) Stock AND tuned.

On topic. I'm die hard Ford. Will NEVER drive guvmt motors (GM). That said, the 11+ Explorer lost me with front wheel drive and the torque steer. I purchased our Expedition for that reason.

I could see myself buying a Jeep Wrangler 4 door or Dodge Durango R/T someday though (for the wife)... I don't feel like FCA is cheating...;)

Not for a long time though. Still love our Expedition.

Last edited:

AAG

Established Member
Simple,

Both are mid-high 14 second trucks and 0-60 in low 6's. The Durango has a bunch of torque out of a V8 and AWD and Doesn't have turbo lag.

Drive both and you will understand.

The explorer is not "much" quick, I'd say it has an edge. I'd hope so being a lighter and smaller SUV.

The Explorer Sport is much faster than a Durango R/T. That AWD with instant boost will kill an R/T off the line and continue to pull. The addition of the 8 speed auto has helped the R/T, but it still has a terrible 3.09 gear ratio.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
The Explorer Sport is much faster than a Durango R/T. That AWD with instant boost will kill an R/T off the line and continue to pull. The addition of the 8 speed auto has helped the R/T, but it still has a terrible 3.09 gear ratio.

Hey, if you say so.

I drove both and own one of them, but, what do I know, haha.

Not that my R/T plants my wife into the seat when I take off in sport mode from a dead stop or anything.

Edmunds got the Explorer Sport 0-60 in 6.3 and the R/T in 6.5. The Xsport ran the 1/4 at 14.6 @ 94 and the R/T @ 14.7 @ 95.

The Xsport also weighs under 5,000LBS loaded and the R/T with AWD and loaded is about 5,300LBS. That's saying something to me. This is just one example as a tenth or two is not "Much" faster if you ask me. If we are talking high 13's stock vs. high 14's, that is a world of difference.

As far as the Acadia - I like the older models, but the new ones don't do it for me OP.

If I had to pick, I'd go with the Xsport hands down. Great power, styling and options.

Best thing to do is drive the heck out of both and play with all of their features to your hearts desire and then decide which model you like the best and run the numbers.

check out truecar as they list all of the rebates/incentives. I know as of now, Ford has huge rebates/incentives on the '16 model of the Xsports so you may land one much cheaper. They also had 0% for 72 months plus some cash back on them a month or so ago.

Good luck man!

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't ever recall turbo lag in either of my Ecoboosted vehicles(11 SHO, and current 13 Xsport). From a take off and through the mid range "feels" much more powerful and responsive than my DD 16 GT. I would describe it as instantanous Torque.

That's my impression as well for the 3.5 Eco and the 2.0 Eco(or whatever is in the escape).

Those turbos in the explorer kick in right away.

azazell64

Established Member
Just to add this, as quoted by Car and driver "The 2016 Sport gets to 60 mph in 6.0 seconds flat, a tenth behind the version we tested in 2013, and it ran the quarter-mile in 14.6 at 96 mph. Nevertheless, it’s still measurably quicker (by 0.4 seconds to 60 mph) than a Dodge Durango R/T with the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8." (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-ford-explorer-sport-test-review for source). In my mind 0.4 of a second is a fairly decent amount quicker.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Just to add this, as quoted by Car and driver "The 2016 Sport gets to 60 mph in 6.0 seconds flat, a tenth behind the version we tested in 2013, and it ran the quarter-mile in 14.6 at 96 mph. Nevertheless, it’s still measurably quicker (by 0.4 seconds to 60 mph) than a Dodge Durango R/T with the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8." (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-ford-explorer-sport-test-review for source). In my mind 0.4 of a second is a fairly decent amount quicker.

I'd have to agree. Ours went 14.4 @ 98 showroom stock in Summer Baton Rouge heat. Tune and CAI it runs mid 13's on stock tires and still gets 20mpg average.
Vid of the 14.6 run...
[video=youtube;rqpNs0faOrc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqpNs0faOrc[/video]

azazell64

Established Member
I'd have to agree. Ours went 14.4 @ 98 showroom stock in Summer Baton Rouge heat. Tune and CAI it runs mid 13's on stock tires and still gets 20mpg average.
Vid of the 14.6 run...

Which tune are you running? I am just pulling the trigger on a set of off road down pipes to finish my system then to take it down the track. I'm currently running a tune from Unleashed, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow catback, 3 bar map sensor and a Snow performance Stage 3 Meth kit.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
I've never been a fan of the way the Acadia interior actually feels. Lots of sharp hard plastic edges. And GM buttons in recent years always seem to have the "coating" wear off very quickly, so it just ends up looking like a bunch of green.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Vid of the 14.6 run...

Which tune are you running? I am just pulling the trigger on a set of off road down pipes to finish my system then to take it down the track. I'm currently running a tune from Unleashed, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow catback, 3 bar map sensor and a Snow performance Stage 3 Meth kit.

Livernois, and Airaid CAI, stock exhaust.

Blown 89

Established Member
I haven't driven the Ford yet but we drove the Acadia Denali a few weeks ago and were blown away by it. The fit and finish was better than everything we drove that day, it was comfortable, tows 5,000 lbs, and had all of the creature comforts that everything else was missing. All of the other GM products (Yukon, Escalade, Tahoe, fully loaded Sierra, and Silverado) were ****ing garbage. I'm mean absolute horrid shit, especially the interior. Holy crap it was bad. My wife was ready to buy the Tahoe/Yukon sight unseen but actually sitting in them was a massive turn off. It's no wonder GM can't keep their heads above water.

Users who are viewing this thread