2017 Fusion Sport

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not sure but the Edge felt very powerful in stock form also. Yank 400+ lbs off it and im sure that Fusion even in stock form is a beast.

Call Livernois or Unleashed and grab a tune. You wont be sorry.
My 2016 Edge Sport was noticeably different with my Livernois tune. I was not impressed with the stock engine, power wise. IMO that power level with the tune should have been what the factory provided, being a "Sport" model. The ST was better, but had I bought one it would have to have had a tune as well. Gotta overcome all that weight.

The Fusion with the 2.7 should scoot. I've never driven one. It would REALLY scoot with a Livernois tune. (y)

blackbolt2003

Established Member
I am seeing horror stories concerning Livernois tunes when Googling. Also, on the Fusion Sport forum folks are recommending Unleashed or James. Why is that? I thought Livernois was solid.

The PTU has issues with crank HP beyond 400? That isn't much. I know some tunes increase to that level or close to it.

I tested my Fusion's 0-60 time and it ran a best of 5.4. This is completely stock and I'm launching at about 2,000 RPM's. Not bad for a 4 door sedan.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I am seeing horror stories concerning Livernois tunes when Googling. Also, on the Fusion Sport forum folks are recommending Unleashed or James. Why is that? I thought Livernois was solid.

The PTU has issues with crank HP beyond 400? That isn't much. I know some tunes increase to that level or close to it.

I tested my Fusion's 0-60 time and it ran a best of 5.4. This is completely stock and I'm launching at about 2,000 RPM's. Not bad for a 4 door sedan.
Long story short, Livernois had a falling out with their 2013+ Ford Taurus SHO tune (V11) that they didn't own up to (shifting issues) and tried pushing their HPFP as the fix, but other tuners could make more power, no shifting issues and fuel trims remain more stable. The final nail in the coffin in the SHO world was when they blew up Mike's SHO (he was with them from the start, bought, pushed their products and they left him out to dry). Mike had the fastest SHO for the longest time until it was beaten and now there are a few people who recently did serious builds that should net 10's.

Rather sad because myself, I had been running their 93+X tune on my MKS for 5 years and 50k+ miles with no issues. Most would agree that the 2010-2012 Livernois tunes are pretty solid. I'd like to think I even helped persuade Bob to tune his ST. They certainly have a following and they "can" put out great work, but there are many tuners these days that can exceed them while remaining safe.

If I still had my MKS and wanted to go faster, James would be my first pick! Issue is simply getting ahold of him, but he does great work. GearHead, Ortiz, ZFG, etc are good tuners as well and each have good/bad like anyone.

OP - Have you considered the MKZ with the 3.0?

blackbolt2003

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I would've considered the MKZ, but bought the Fusion on Tuesday. I got a great deal on it and it has less than 40k miles.

blackbolt2003

Established Member
Looks like the MKZ is out of my price range. I wanted a Mustang GT, but didn't want to pay for it and found this Fusion.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I can tell you my 2.7 in my f150 was a complete nightmare. I would dive into the details but unless you were there, it wouldn't sound believable.

Kevinbonds

Established Member
I can tell you my 2.7 in my f150 was a complete nightmare. I would dive into the details but unless you were there, it wouldn't sound believable.
I had a friend with a Taurus SHO, the car had so many issues, it was in the shop more than he had it home.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member

This one is mine. Intercooler and 100 octane tune. It’s decent for what it is but the turbos are tiny. Guys squeeze out more with E30 tunes but you really start pushing the limit of the components.

metroplex

Established Member
The SHO's 3.5L EcoBoost is a different 3.5 from the F-150's. The Transverse 3.5/3.7 has an internal water pump driven by the timing chain. My 2018 Explorer 3.5 N/A had its water pump blow up at under 28k miles. It's normally $2000 or so to change it due to the 10-12 hour book time replacement. The Garrett turbos are also known to leak oil/spit oil big time. My rear turbo outlet hose was so saturated with oil that it was seeping through the pores.

That being said, my SHO was a rocket. 1.8 60' all day long, literally had 6 back to back time slips with 1.8x 60' times and 12.4x @110-111 mph. Just running E30 and otherwise all stock parts.

The 2.7 in the Fusion Sport is identical to the 2015-up Edge Sport/ST 2.7, and the 2015-2017 F-150 2.7 - the truck's only difference is the turbo packaging and the turbo spins the opposite direction. The 3.0 that debuted in the Continental/MKZ for 2017-2020 is the same engine, but has more displacement and bigger turbos.

For 2020-up, Ford switched to a rubber belt to drive the oil pump in the 2.7/3.0 EcoBoost V6, so that means Explorer ST, F-150, Bronco Raptor, Ranger Raptor all have that rubber belt that is soaked in hot engine oil.

I started tuning my Fusion Sport in 2017 and HPTuners didn't even have all the parameters defined properly, so it ran 12.7 with slow and weird shifting issues. I've gotten it to run quicker, and it will still pull 1.8 60' times but requires a bit more concentration and finesse. There's not as much low end off the line torque as the 3.5 in the SHO.

Users who are viewing this thread