2018 5.0 F150 has 88hp/100tq Over 2015 5.0 F150...?

andymarkv

Established Member
Yeah....I'm not exactly sure how they optioned that XL STX....
My local high volume dealer has a similar XLT 5.0 truck stickering at $50,185 and their "no haggle" price is $42,499 or $41,749 financed through Ford.
http://www.simmons-rockwell.com/ford/bf18-121?p=13&vehicleModel=F150
And this is only months after the '18 have come out. Wait till fall when the '19's come out and the deals will get better.

I just can't wait to see if American Muscle's dyno findings hold true. That is a TON of gains over the 15-17 5.0 trucks.
Or do you think ford added the "dyno mode..." IIRC...when the '15 mustangs came out, their dyno #'s were pretty high...but their trap speeds didn't reflect the dyno power #'s. Turned out Ford had set the tune on kill when the computer saw the front wheels were static and the rear wheels moving...to create hero dyno #'s...
Maybe these F150's have the same strategy? Guess we'll see when people start running them on the dyno AND the track!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Gearing has a huge impact on dyno results...comparing a 6-speed to a 10-speed is comparing apples to oranges.

So the MSRP has grown considerably on these new trucks. However, who is the guy that pays MSRP? I picked up a XLT with the 302a, 37 gallon tank, sport package, 20's, 4x4, 3.5Eco, and the biggest cab. MSRP was 53K, I paid 39k. To me, its alot of truck for that price.

The elusive 37 gallon tank? Very nice.

andymarkv

Established Member
Gearing has a huge impact on dyno results...comparing a 6-speed to a 10-speed is comparing apples to oranges.
True! I'd HOPE American Muscle would know how to minimize the differences between the two trucks...but who knows?
Its also interesting the power curve is exactly the same until 4000 rpm, then new 5.0 really gains. And now with all the gears...that topend charge can be put to good use!
I'm sure you've had seat time in all of them by now... Does the new 12:1 dual fuel 5.0+10sp feel like a completely different animal than the old 5.0+6sp combo?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
True! I'd HOPE American Muscle would know how to minimize the differences between the two trucks...but who knows?
Its also interesting the power curve is exactly the same until 4000 rpm, then new 5.0 really gains. And now with all the gears...that topend charge can be put to good use!
I'm sure you've had seat time in all of them by now... Does the new 12:1 dual fuel 5.0+10sp feel like a completely different animal than the old 5.0+6sp combo?

Yes.

The 10-speed is awesome. You never feel like you're out of the powerband. I've been THOROUGHLY impressed.

I even thought about not taking my 2018 F-250 order that will be in next week, and going with an F-150 instead; but I'm 99% sure I'll just keep the Super Duty.

andymarkv

Established Member
Interesting... If that's not a solid endorsement for the 2018 F150, I don't know what is!
I've been closely watching the improvements in the 6.2 gasser F250's as well. Fords effort to move the torque band of the gas truck to a more useable area, improved gearing in the TorqShift-G trans and what some people claim a major improvement in ride comfort make it a more viable option as a daily for someone like me who doesn't tow much.

Have you had any seat time in a 6.2/4.30 geared F250 and how it compares to a '18 F150? I know apples to oranges...but I don't think people realize how much of an improvement came to the 3/4 tons in 2017.

I've been really impressed with Fords efforts to step up the game!!
Although I'm slightly hesitant to purchase anything just yet. I need to see how they treat me concerning all the potential head gasket issues on the wifes RS...

smitty2919

Established Member
$50K for only a F150 and cloth seats? Faaaaack no.

Next truck will be a '15-'17 Sierra 2500HD that I'm willing to pay $50k for...but I don't understand paying so much for the low level (capability wise) trucks. I understand they pack these things full of technology, but good god.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Im suprised how close that was
Me too. Figured the Eco was gonna blow the 5.0 away. Thanks SVTP!
Or do you think ford added the "dyno mode..." IIRC...when the '15 mustangs came out, their dyno #'s were pretty high...but their trap speeds didn't reflect the dyno power #'s. Turned out Ford had set the tune on kill when the computer saw the front wheels were static and the rear wheels moving...to create hero dyno #'s...

Can someone confirm this?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Put the old one next to the new one, consider inflation and it starts to make sense. Not to mention a fully loaded truck from 10-15 years ago is fairly par with a new bare bones truck

Exactly. My 2008 Lariat had a sticker price of 55k. If I configure a brand new F350 Lariat, crew cab longbed 4x4 diesel just like mine, and add all of the cool options that I would want, it comes out to 70k. 15k more for a 10 year newer truck that makes mine look like a Model T is a bargain IMO. They're expensive but they always have been.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Re: price..The big volume dealers around here have been discounting the hell out of the F150 (2017), incentives/discounts around 10-13K off many of them.

This. But I have been looking at 2018 F150's that are discounted 10K off MSRP right now but there are no incentives yet. I am looking to trade in my 2016 Edge on a 2018 F150 4X4 Supercrew. The incentives will come in 2018 hopefully early and I will be looking to get one. Dealers in Virginia and Maryland are showing these discounts now.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
This. But I have been looking at 2018 F150's that are discounted 10K off MSRP right now but there are no incentives yet. I am looking to trade in my 2016 Edge on a 2018 F150 4X4 Supercrew. The incentives will come in 2018 hopefully early and I will be looking to get one. Dealers in Virginia and Maryland are showing these discounts now.

I hear yah and overall the 18 is the truck I’d want as well, too many changes, improvements...

andymarkv

Established Member
Just for fun...couple of street pulls I found.
This would be the quickest configuration, reg cab, short bed, 2wd, 3.55 gears.
(He claims 13.23 @103 completely stock)

This truck has 3.31 gears, but I don't know cab configuration or if it is 2wd or 4wd. Obviously slower than the 3.55, 2wd truck above.

And for shits and giggles...a loaded '17 Lariat supercrew Fx4 F250 with 6.2 gasser and 4.30 gears. I am extremely impressed with the way this truck moves out for its size and weight!!

macworld

Established Member
The elusive 37 gallon tank? Very nice.[/QUOTE]
I see what you did there...36 gallon tank..

Gravik

Established Member
Very impressive. However, these trucks are getting damn expensive. 50 and still get cloth interior and halogen head lights? That's nuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leather seats are like the only option I really care about. But you have to spend 50k+ to obtain that

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

M91196

Established Member
Leather seats are like the only option I really care about. But you have to spend 50k+ to obtain that

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Katzkins and call it done, from $700 and up for factory style leather plus installation, and you can do it at home and save.

Users who are viewing this thread