• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

2020 GT500 brakes on a 13-14 GT500

Discussion in '2013-14 Shelby GT500' started by SlowYellow, May 16, 2021.

1. SlowYellow

SlowYellow Member Established Member

Does anyone know if they’ll fit? They are huge, and everyone raves about them. Not that the 13-14’s are bad, but they are bigger. Bigger is better, right??

2. COOL COBRA

COOL COBRA Hell Yes! Established Member

Shut your whore mouth..

3. SlowYellow

Jesus... strike a nerve??

4. COOL COBRA

COOL COBRA Hell Yes! Established Member

Yes, no. Chill it's ok.
    But to answer the original question. The only prohibitive would be money & perceived gains for the intended use of the car.
    Just don't start adding the gawdy '20 high wing & you'll be ok.

Norton likes this.
  5. SlowYellow

Yeah man, just kicking the idea around. I saw a rear set, lines, calipers, and rotors for 650 bucks. Didn’t think it was that bad. I’m running stock calipers with better pads and giro disc rotors up front. Just wondering if it’s easily possible within reason?

And for what it’s worth, I’ve got a 00’ cobra R wing in the garage that I’m going to put on the car. It’s going to look so awesome!

Kidding of course.

COOL COBRA likes this.
  6. Robert M

Robert M 800 HORSE FUN!! Established Member

FWIW, here is some information that 2020+ owners are experiencing with their huge brakes and minimal clearance with the inner area of the front wheels.............

2020+ - Front Wheels are scratched and grooved

There was also a thread from a CFTP owner who's CF wheel was actually grooved to the point where the CF allowed air to leak out of the rim and was going to have it replaced.....

^^^^^and this is with 2020/21 wheels that were design for and installed on these cars......

R

7. Norton

Norton Long-time SVT Enthusiast Established Member

Something about the new model that's less than perfect? That's just crazy talk! :rolleyes:

8. RockChalk

RockChalk Well-Known Member Established Member

Oh no you didn’t! Over time, we will find out that the S550 GT500 is much less than perfect. That will come as a total shock to some folks. But there is always the SN95 Cobra R…. Yawn.

Norton likes this.
  9. Robert M

Me personally, and I have been around cars for decades, I have never heard of any cars getting rocks/stones/pebbles lodged between the brake caliper and wheel and causing damage to the point that a wheel has to be replaced. Imperfect is expected, replacing a CF wheel because the inside is grooved out from a stone caught between the brake caliper and the wheel is a different story..........I wouldn't even want damage like this if I had a non-CFTP car and alloy. wheels.

This kind of reminds me of no grill protection and an open area for rocks/stone/pebbles to puncture a heat exchanger?

It is not like a driver can "avoid" rocks/stones/pebbles and it is the drivers fault it happened.........It was a poor design......It may "look cool" and it does, but it is/was a poor design.......

What were they thinking for real world use??

R

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  10. Catmonkey

Catmonkey I Void Warranties! Premium Member Established Member

They make adapters for the GT350 brakes and rotors on S197s. So if you're serious, that's a solution. They're not as big as the 2020 GT500, but they are larger than what you have and wheel fitment may not be as extreme.

Norton likes this.
  11. Robert M

^^^That is a good solution.........and in reality, what wheels would a 2013/14 owner use on the front with a 2020 GT500 brake upgrade on their car? The oem 2020 GT500 wheels are apparently extremely close in their inner wheel design.......Are there some 20's that would fit and some that would not in the aftermarket world? Regular mount or reverse mount, if that matters?

R