2023 Grilling Season Thread

RX1Cobra

Established Member
i need to finally pull the trigger on a smoker, definitely getting a pellet smoker. Chasing a charcoal one all day isn't for me

I know it adds to the cost but I use this on my charcoal one if I'm not home or can't tend to the grill. There's a fan you add and the unit controls the fan to keep temps perfect. Also is wifi so you can check how things are going from anywhere.

Kamado style grill temps stay pretty steady on their own once you dial it in and offer more flexability. Can cook low and slow, use like a normal grill or really get the temps up for searing, pizzas, etc.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
While a smoke ring won't impact the flavor, some people "expect" it. In order to get a better smoke ring you need to make sure to put COLD meat on the hot smoker. Airflow in the smoker also seems to make a difference but meat right out of the fridge onto the smoker would be ideal.

I'll try it next time and see if there is a difference with the brisket. I think Eggs are just inherently different than offset smokers.

I did ribs yesterday. I do a rub overnight, then smoke over apple wood at 275 for 2 hours, then 2 hours foiled, then 45 minutes with a light bbq sauce glaze.

Came out super tender, could pretty much shake the rack of ribs with some tongs and the bones would fall out.

1690163032802.jpg

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I did ribs yesterday. I do a rub overnight, then smoke over apple wood at 275 for 2 hours, then 2 hours foiled, then 45 minutes with a light bbq sauce glaze.
You do yours a little higher temp and about an hour less than me. My son has been doing his briskets much higher temps and shorter times. It's really tasty, and will try that next time.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I'll try it next time and see if there is a difference with the brisket. I think Eggs are just inherently different than offset smokers.

Came out super tender, could pretty much shake the rack of ribs with some tongs and the bones would fall out.

View attachment 1802594
Those look awesome!

And yes, the egg and the offset are totally different, I've got a BGE XL that I love for things like ribs, chicken, pork butt, pizza, steaks... but I do all my briskets on my offset as they are just better when done that way. It's all about the airflow and how the heat gets to the brisket.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Those look awesome!

And yes, the egg and the offset are totally different, I've got a BGE XL that I love for things like ribs, chicken, pork butt, pizza, steaks... but I do all my briskets on my offset as they are just better when done that way. It's all about the airflow and how the heat gets to the brisket.
Airflow is key to setting up the bark, offsets will always be king in that department

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Protip: use mayonnaise on your buns to toast them. Instead of butter or any other kind of fat. The mayo does something magical and really makes for a nice toasted bun. And I find mayo, on a sandwich, fully disgusting. I'm more of a Miracle Whip kind of guy. But mayo on a toasted bun is next level.
Can you get Duke's Mayo in IL? My Texas gf turned me on to it and we finally got it in our Kroger brand stores. It's far and away the best mayo. I never liked Mayo on sandwiches until I got this. We go to Jimmy Johns and just buy their bread to make our own subs. It's key.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Can you get Duke's Mayo in IL? My Texas gf turned me on to it and we finally got it in our Kroger brand stores. It's far and away the best mayo. I never liked Mayo on sandwiches until I got this. We go to Jimmy Johns and just buy their bread to make our own subs. It's key.

We get Kewpie from our local grocery store. Similar to this.

I will look for Dukes though.

We did BLTs last night. Our tomatoes are coming in so every night we need to eat about 5 lbs. of tomatoes to stay on top of these plants. lol.

Anyhow, I used mayo (Hellman's - barf) and toasted all the bread on the griddle. Its really nice to be able to toast 10 slices of bread on both sides in about 2 minutes.

Also tried putting the bacon on the griddle when the griddle was cold. Saw this in a YouTube vid. It keeps the bacon more flat for even cooking because it renders the fat more slowly. I have bacon weights but I find that stuff just another gadget to mess with. Putting bacon on cold griddle is definately the trick. It worked very well. Bacon was flat and crispy/chewy.

patc84

Established Member
I use Kewpie, its good.

i found that watching sam the cooking guy videos, thats all he uses.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
5 pounds of chuck roast from Costco. First attempt at shredded beef tacos for a party tomorrow. Got a fresh keg too. Should be good times.

Attachments

• IMG_6648.jpeg
    IMG_6648.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6649.jpeg
    IMG_6649.jpeg
    510.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6652.jpeg
    IMG_6652.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 67

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
5 pounds of chuck roast from Costco. First attempt at shredded beef tacos for a party tomorrow. Got a fresh keg too. Should be good times.
bold GIF

I always get nervous doing first-time cooks for parties. lol. Good luck. That sounds amazing.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I just use a Weber charcoal grill and throw some hard-wood chunks in there to get some smoke going. Two nights ago, I cooked up a meatloaf in a cast-iron loaf pan. It took almost 2 hours, but it came out amazing. Still, nothing beats steak and habaneros. I just have to clear my schedule for the hour or so after dinner.
5589338C-728D-4E11-B1F7-003B0A8D8A9C_1_201_a.jpeg

RX1Cobra

Established Member
bold GIF

I always get nervous doing first-time cooks for parties. lol. Good luck. That sounds amazing.

That’s why I made it today. If I **** up I still have tomorrow to make something. Which means I’ll be ordering pizza if it’s not good.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I just use a Weber charcoal grill and throw some hard-wood chunks in there to get some smoke going. Two nights ago, I cooked up a meatloaf in a cast-iron loaf pan. It took almost 2 hours, but it came out amazing. Still, nothing beats steak and habaneros. I just have to clear my schedule for the hour or so after dinner. View attachment 1803103
That looks damn good!

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Look up birria recipes to help finish it off so that you'll be able to shed it. It would be amazing with the flavor from the grill.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Not trying to feed an army, any reason one of the ~530 cubic inch smokers wouldn’t be big enough? A single pork butt or a couple racks of ribs would be the most I’d wanna do at a time.

Thinking for smaller amounts the smaller one might be better/quicker. Looking the pitboss lexington or similar

Users who are viewing this thread