23k mile DSG 700+ hp asking price

Deric

Established Member
I need your help! I am entertaining the idea of buying a house, thinking about how nice it would be to have cash instead of a Cobra. Never thought I'd be considering this! I never want to sell it, but for the right price I might have to. Getting older sucks.

I am curious what you guys think would be a good asking price. I probably think it's worth twice as much as the next guy so I may not even think it's worth selling when I find out what its worth, but that's how it goes. Let me know your thoughts on what would be reasonable. Thanks

2003 DSG Cobra with 23,000 miles. It's in amazing condition inside and out.

The car is currently at Livernois Motorsports in Dearborn, MI in the final stages of a new engine build:
Livernois Pro Series Stroker
Crower Stage 3 cams
Kenne Bell 2.8H fresh reman job this month at Kenne Bell
Livernois 4v stage 3 heads
Return style fuel system and sumped tank (-10 feed, -8 return)
ID 850 injectors
Cobra Engineering head cooling mod

Just waiting for the motor to be installed and dyno tuned.
Was making mid 700's at the wheels on the last motor. This motor is expected to be in the same range on pump gas. It's not even tuned yet so there is potential for improvement over my planned 91 octane tune.

I have many more pics if needed, but I think these would be sufficient.

IMG_6385_zpsyi7una9f.jpg

8c5c9360-3d03-4c2c-a8f8-87a7aeff9e96_zps4586d325.jpg

IMG_20140605_080706_zpsju4itiu5.jpg

IMG_6372_zpskhbyewza.png

IMG_6312_zps7mg1ow75.png

IMG_2522-2_zpshuqd7mtc.jpg

s351

Established Member
Crazyness happens on dyno's your best bet is to wait till the build is done, then start asking. Your car looks clean, what fuel and how much boost were u running to make mid 700's with a 2.8h?

Deric

Established Member
The big tune was on C16 with a 3.1 pulley at 23.5 psi

There was a 93 tune and a 93+torco tune, both in the low 700's at 21.7 psi.

But dyno or not, if it ends up between 650-750 i dont think it will change the value much. Im just trying to get an idea and see if it will be worth selling.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Your likely going to take a hit and be out a decent amount of money depending on how much the build cost. Think how nice the car would look at your new house in a garage! I'd keep the car as long as you can. And if you end up needing to sell later down the road, then do so. Depending on overall condition, price all depends on what someone is willing to pay.

Boosted02gt

Established Member
I wish this had been for sale a couple of weeks ago. I purchased mine with 21,083 miles on it. 608 at the wheels with a Kenne Bell 2.8h, built fuel system, and plenty more. Mine cost me $20K. I would have paid around 23K for one with a built motor.

s351

Established Member
I wasn't meaning #ers, I was meaning what happens if the new motor goes pop on the dyno.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You have an awesome Cobra, Deric. Sorry to hear that you're considering selling it. Totally understand, though. The Livernois built motor adds value for sure, but you have to pay for the work done which is subtracted from the sale price. Might be smart to try to keep it for awhile and enjoy what you're paying for. You can probably get $24K-$26K depending on the buyer and overall condition of your Cobra. Again, the built motor is a plus. But if you absolutely have to sell it, try to get the absolute top dollar even if you have to reject lower offers. JMO.

HandBanana

Established Member
Bob's pretty spot-on with the 24-26k mark, which is crazy for how much work is in your car and some of the other cars that have been on the market recently. Just keep it, you'll lose your hat in selling it with the build you've been doing. Turning a car into a down payment just flat out sucks.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
I don't think you would have any problem getting $26k out of it at all if not more, the right people are out there. As crazy as it sounds I just turned down a $29k offer for mine a month or so ago. I know I could never get that out of it if I were to try and sell it but the timing wasn't right.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
22k low
26k high

Wait till the dyno tune is done and you put a few thousand miles on the motor. Most people spending that kind of money would/should be leary of an unproven motor. As stated before weird shit happens with new motors even if built perfectly

You probably could do the house without selling the car and will be better off that way in the long run

Deric

Established Member
Thanks guys. I know i'd be losing money after doing the motor, but I'd obviously have more money than I will if I don't sell it. I was hoping it would be eligible for the 28k-30k range. I guess we will have to see what happens. Thanks again.

Boosted02gt

Established Member
Keep the thread informed about you sale and price. It doesn't come around that often for a really well built car like these. Often times they sell and the market really doesn't have any clue what it goes for.

GLWS

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
I'm actually thinking with the low miles on the body, and a freshly built motor, you could probably EVENTUALLY get $28-$30K if it is as clean as a low mileage 03-04 Cobra can be. You might have to wait for the right buyer, but if I was in the market right now, and I was looking for a low miles, well cared for version with the bonus of a built motor and supporting mods, I'd be completely fine with paying upwards of $27-$28k after the motor is properly broken in and has dyno numbers to back it up. If you want to sell it quickly, then I agree, $23-$26K will be the target range.

If I was in your shoes (and I probably will be in about a year or two; have a 26k miles Sonic Blue version with a built motor), I'd TRY to stop spending money on the car (lol, I know, almost impossible to do), start saving for a down payment on a house, and enjoy that bad boy for a year or two. You would most likely still be able to sell it quickly for $23-$26K, but you would have enjoyed the fruits of your labor for a few years before selling it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread