26 spline input shaft and spec3 installed! (pics) DIALUP BEWARE!

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I installed a SPEC 3i and 26 spline input shaft today. Here are some pics.

I'm only going to post a few pics. I took 42. I have them in 2048x1536 and 800x600. If you want to see them all goto my website.

Click HERE for the 800x600 pics.

Click HERE for the 2048x1536 pics. (please right click and save as because they are so big)

Inside of tranny with new input shaft installed.
inside_tranny.jpg

This is the bearing race you need to shim to get the 0-2 thousands endplay spec. (The one on the left)
remove_bearing_race.jpg

My TOB retainer still looks good after 25000 miles.
TOB_retainer2.jpg

Both input shafts side by side.
both_input_shafts3.jpg

I used this dial indicator to check the endplay. With the stock shim I was still 9 thousands out of spec so I removed the stock shim and put in the right size to bring it to .000-.001.
dial_kit_measuring.jpg

The clutch pressure plate and bellhousing installed.
SPEC3i_clutch_flywheel_bellhousing_installed.jpg

You can see the problem with the EGR tube when installing the Apten cooling mod. I didn't do it because Apten is back ordered for 2 weeks.
apten_cooling_mod_problem1.jpg

This is the SPEC3i 10.5'' disk.
SPEC3i_disk.jpg

This is the SPEC3i light weight aluminum flywheel.
SPEC3i_alum_flywheel.jpg

lethal

Established Member
Nice job. Good pix. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to the internals of the drivetrain. Can you "draw" an arrow, or explain the area to look at for the TOB retainer?

Thanks.

John

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Run you finger across the retainer. As long as it's doesn't have a noticable step you will be ok. You can see the shiny spots on where the tob sits but it's flat. A few members have had the TOB chew though the retainer.

I went with the SPEC composite TOB.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
bassin247, awesome! ... that shim thing looks tricky.
and i spy some bloody knuckles :beer:

My hands are in rough shape right now.

The shim kit isn't too bad. You just need the right equipment and patience.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
I installed a SPEC 3i and 26 spline input shaft today.

This is the SPEC3i light weight aluminum flywheel.
Sweet...I have almost the same setup going in very soon. I'm confused though...I thought the "i" in Spec 3i meant it was for an iron flywheel?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Re: Re: 26 spline input shaft and spec3 installed! (pics) DIALUP BEWARE!

Originally posted by racerat
Sweet...I have almost the same setup going in very soon. I'm confused though...I thought the "i" in Spec 3i meant it was for an iron flywheel?

No, the spec 3i has a spec 3 disk but the material on the clutch is from a spec 5.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by hmwave
How straightforward/hard was the input shaft swap?

It wasn't too bad. You need the dial indicator, shim kit, sealant, 4.1 quarts of dextron ATF. With the tranny out I think it has 10 15mm bolts that hold the end plate on. With the plate off the input shaft pops right out. Put the new one in, check to make sure everything is lined up, shim it, bolt it together, check the end play and if it's in spec unbolt it and seal it.

I could do it in 10 minutes if I had to do it again.

trey193

Established Member
Another one in 10 minutes!:rockon: To bad U live so far away I simply dont trust myself setting up the endplay everything else i could do i am sure of it, how was the removal of the tranny?? How long did it take, everything go smoothly ??? I assume its a heavy SOB?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
Another one in 10 minutes!:rockon: To bad U live so far away I simply dont trust myself setting up the endplay everything else i could do i am sure of it, how was the removal of the tranny?? How long did it take, everything go smoothly ??? I assume its a heavy SOB?

It was etremely heavy. If we didn't have a tranny jack im sure I would of lost some of my mad hood if you know what I mean.

From start to stop it took about 5-6 hours. We ran into little problems like my headers hitting the bell housing. It took a while to get it off and on. The dowl pins that line up the bell housing were giving me a problem so I had to file/sand wirewheel the down pin and locating holes. Getting the alternator off/on was a PITA. The input shaft went together smoothly.

My clutch pedal feels a little wierd. I after talking to someone I suspect it is because of the MM quadrant I am using.

trey193

Established Member
5-6 hours does that include yanking the tranny, installing all the new parts and putting it back in the car? If so then U guys know whats up!:) Good advice on a tranny jack!!

fr03cobra

Established Member
bassin247, I just had my tranny and clutch upgraded to an 04 setup is this basically the same as going to the 04 setup (replaced by ford under warrenty)? My 03 tranny was hard to shift. I could not get into first or reverse. Thanks

Steel City

Banned
so how do you like the 3i???? mine is apart right now getting the 3i, input shaft, firewall adjuster and quadrant installed. i haven't heard to much about the 3i yet and was wondering what you thought so far?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Steel City
so how do you like the 3i???? mine is apart right now getting the 3i, input shaft, firewall adjuster and quadrant installed. i haven't heard to much about the 3i yet and was wondering what you thought so far?

I just drove it 5 miles. I'm going to reserve judgement until the breakin period is over, but right now the clutch is on/off. It is a completely different feel from the stock clutch.

I'm going to install a double or tripple hook quadrant to get more adjustment out of the clutch.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
5-6 hours does that include yanking the tranny, installing all the new parts and putting it back in the car? If so then U guys know whats up!:) Good advice on a tranny jack!!

Yea we had a lift, tranny jack, and every tool known to man. I did the input shaft and my friend and I pulled the tranny and did the clutch. I'm a novice mechanic and my friend is a mechanic.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by fr03cobra
bassin247, I just had my tranny and clutch upgraded to an 04 setup is this basically the same as going to the 04 setup (replaced by ford under warrenty)? My 03 tranny was hard to shift. I could not get into first or reverse. Thanks

You question is confusing but I'll do my best to answer it.

The revised setup in the 04 is the same revised setup in later model 03s I believe. I had that setup in my car until it started slipping.

I installed an aftermarket clutch (non ford) and a higher strength input shaft to replace the oem clutch and input shaft.

This is the stock clutch with 5000 miles on it.
stock_clutch_bellhousing1.jpg

The revised disk after some KB miles..

stock_clutch1.jpg

stock_clutch2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread