26 spline input shaft and spec3 installed! (pics) DIALUP BEWARE!

fr03cobra

Established Member
your right I guess it was a bad ? I wanted to upgrade the clutch to a centerforce dual friction while they were changing everything else but I already had spent my allowance(lol) on a heat exchanger.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Good job. Hope you get the results you want.

That stock Ford clutch looks like it was begging for Mercy from the KB miles. :rolling:

Silver03

Established Member
Nice work and Thanks for the post! Can you please explain a bit further what the dial indicator and shim kit are used for on the input shaft?

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
what is the difference between the early 03 clutches and the late run 03/04 model clutches....were they made to be any stronger or something??

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03
Nice work and Thanks for the post! Can you please explain a bit further what the dial indicator and shim kit are used for on the input shaft?

There is a shim behind the bearing retainer. I put the new input shaft in, bolted it together, clamped the dial on the tob retainer tapped the input shaft with a dead blow hammer so the shaft was all the way down. I set the gauge to 0 and pulled the shaft all the way up. The moved .009 ''. I removed the dial, split the tranny, removed the race, removed the shim, measured the shim, found a shim that was the original shim + .009. I put everything back together and remeasured. There was between .000 and .001 endplay. I split it again, gasketed the tranny, bolted it together and proceeded to install it.

What you are measuring is how much the shaft moved back and forth. The spec is .000-.002''

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
The "i" stands for "sintered (i)ron" friction material. The friction disk is a 6-finger design as with the normal Stage3 clutches BUT the material isn't cerametallic, it's sintered iron (same as Stage5 clutches).

MJ

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by 03ShadowCobra
Awesome Mike, two weeks for me. I can't wait.
Do you have to drain the transmission?

As soon as a split the tranny is came out because I had it flat on a bench. I suppose if you worked on it upright you wouldn't but it's a good time to change the fluid anyway.

Get ready for the new clutch. These mofos are a lot different than the stock clutch.

Last edited:

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I was just asking because I was gonna have Ford do it next week. I guess I won't now. "JDM" trans fluid is probably like $50 a quart though.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by 03ShadowCobra
I was just asking because I was gonna have Ford do it next week. I guess I won't now. "JDM" trans fluid is probably like $50 a quart though.

:lol: you got that right. :)

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by KiLLaBytE
looks good man.

what made you decide on the spec stage3i over another type of clutch?

The mcloud was around 1200 bucks with everything. It has a really long throw and is a PITA to install.

I read someones centerforce went up in smoke the first day at the track.

I'm up at the track with mjchip a lot and he has been running a spec with with decent success. I've also heard spec has excellent tech support from many spec owner. I decided to call up their tech line and see what they reccomended for my application. They said spec3i I said how much. They said 800 something and I said ship it.

I hung up the phone called liberty gear and ordered the input shaft.

Last edited:

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
Nice job Mike! Your car should do much better at the track. For some reason, my clutch is still holding, but I will mimic your setup soon.

rb185afm

Established Member
I have my Mcloed Twin disk and 26 spline imput shaft at home waiting to go on this week. :rockon: Thanks for the write up on the imput shaft install.

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
thanks for the writeup as well.

I did a mcleod and 26 spline

the first 100-200 miles the clutch would chatter and just felt really ON OFF... it sgetting alto better with 350 miles on it.

I may be pulling the tranny again to check that speck your talking about. i think i have a front seal leak or maybe to much play in the front bearing.

or might have put a little to much fliud in but i dont think jsut a little extra would hurt... but i would not know.

other then that its been great

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
The mcloud was around 1200 bucks with everything. It has a really long throw and is a PITA to install.

I read someones centerforce went up in smoke the first day at the track.

I'm up at the track with mjchip a lot and he has been running a spec with with decent success. I've also heard spec has excellent tech support from many spec owner. I decided to call up their tech line and see what they reccomended for my application. They said spec3i I said how much. They said 800 something and I said ship it.

I hung up the phone called liberty gear and ordered the input shaft.

yeah, with an aluminum flywheel the mcleod is very expensive. i got it with a steel flywheel for $800. i did the 26-spline input shaft swap, too. :coolman:

and vector, don't worry. once the clutch is broken in it's MUCH more streetable. mine seemed very ON/OFF at first as well.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I have 260 miles on the clutch now and it's feeling a lot better. First gear still has a little chatter but reverse and shifting though the gears is almost seamless. I can't wait until this mofo is broken in.

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
bassin247-

How is the clutch break in going? How many miles do you have on it now and what is your overall opinion on the Spec3i set up?

Also...did you purchase the kit directly from Spec...you mentioned you paid around $800...what did that include and did you shop price?

TIA:beer:

BTW...my clutch is TOAST...Im going Spec3 and taking my trans to Liberty to have the 26 spline installed.:thumbsup:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Snakebite
bassin247-

How is the clutch break in going? How many miles do you have on it now and what is your overall opinion on the Spec3i set up?

Also...did you purchase the kit directly from Spec...you mentioned you paid around $800...what did that include and did you shop price?

TIA:beer:

BTW...my clutch is TOAST...Im going Spec3 and taking my trans to Liberty to have the 26 spline installed.:thumbsup:

The clutch is awesome now. The first 200-300 miles were rough. The first time I drove the car I said, "WTF IS THIS!" I brought it to the track with 700 miles. I was easy on my first run and launched at 4500-5000 on my 9 other runs. I was pulling low 1.7 60s. After the track the clutch has been perfect. It is 100% streetable. I would do it again in a minute.

I paid around 820 bucks directly from spec. I could of got it a tad bit cheaper from a dealer but I had a feeling I might have a problem with it and I didn't want to deal with a middle man.

I got the aluminum flywheel, spec3i 10.5'' disk, pressure plate, composite TOB.

Users who are viewing this thread