2v Blowing Spark Plugs???

GreekThunder

Established Member
So this has happened to me 5 times. Ive had shops fix them constantly and every time I look up things on the mod motor it tells me that 4v have this problem. Im extremely tired of changing plugs and coils. What is the best solution to this annoying problem I never want to hear that popping noise from under my hood again. Please help!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
can happen to any mod motor, 2v, 3v, or 4v. permanent solution would be to install an insert into every hole. even 9 thread holes can blow out unless you are diligent about spark plug torque, just less common. 5 times, huh?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't think I have heard of anyone having that many spark plug blow outs. Has it been the same one, or different ones each time?

GreekThunder

Established Member
can happen to any mod motor, 2v, 3v, or 4v. permanent solution would be to install an insert into every hole. even 9 thread holes can blow out unless you are diligent about spark plug torque, just less common. 5 times, huh?
The shop that has been fixing them used insert on the first 2 then I had another shop do the others. But Im not sure why they blow. Ive pit new plugs and coils in torqued to spec didnt use anti seize but guess the 2v just blows. (Pun intended)

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
I Talked to a previous custom car builder and he told me it might be more to replace the heads. But are the 04 heads stronger/more threads? Sorry im replying now guys I dont check too often.

2004 + IIRC are 8 thread heads. If you want to be 100% sure, find an engine out of a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis, 2005, 2006, 2007 ETC.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
would the vic be a direct fit?

The engine will bolt right in but some things will need to be swapped over from your engine to the new one. I had a Ford independent shop do my engine swap for me out of an 08 Grand Marquis. IIRC they had to swap over a cam gear. I cant remember if that is correct or not since its been a couple years.

Anyways, the engine has 8 thread heads and thats all that mattered to me!

GreekThunder

Established Member
The engine will bolt right in but some things will need to be swapped over from your engine to the new one. I had a Ford independent shop do my engine swap for me out of an 08 Grand Marquis. IIRC they had to swap over a cam gear. I cant remember if that is correct or not since its been a couple years.

Anyways, the engine has 8 thread heads and thats all that mattered to me!
I rather not swap the whole motor, unless its a coyote. But I picked up my car today and the shop told me that Ill have to wait to blow the rest (3 more) until the problem will stop completely. Aka Im gunna pay them another 750$ until Im "in the clear". Is that true???

KITT

Established Member
A ford tech stated the best way to handle this problem is to over torque them to about 20-25 ft lbs and add the smallest amount of anti seize. I would say about 20-22 ft/lbs. Under torque will cause them to back out especially with anti seize.

Users who are viewing this thread