$ 3.000 to spent

MIKE PAPAS

Established Member
Hi guys... First I like to introduce my self. My name is Mike and am from S.E. Iowa. I Just purchase my 2003 COBRA CONVERTIBLE w/ only 2500 miles.. It been setting at a claimant controlled garage...lol..and I love it.

I have about $3.000 to spend, and I want to get as much HP as possible for that money.. Most of you all ready been there, done it, try it out all ready, so you know exactly what work the best and didn't...If you hade that money to spend on a complete stock 03 COBRA what mods would you do to gain the most HP out of it ??? Thanks in advance.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
Nice find BTW!!!!
With a 3k budget......
Tuck $4-500 aside for a tune. So now there's you true starting point...2500
What HP gain you looking for? 450-550-650rwhp?
I'd start with CAI and ported blower, 2.8/2.76 upper pulley and maybe a 4lb lower, exhaust (optional), better rear tires, boost a pump, tr-6 plugs, and a wideband gauge.

Last edited:

MIKE PAPAS

Established Member
Im not looking to take it to the track... but to have a little more juice when I need it... With 500 to special 550 RWHP .. I be really happy.. Also I like to hear the supercharger as loud as possible..lol.. And by the way..i like to do something about that wheel hop..

Last edited:

MIKE PAPAS

Established Member
I Was thinking for pulleys to go with the billet flow 2.760. Now do I need to purchase all the pulleys, or just the one for the supercharger ? And by going to the smaller pulley will it be safe for the motor ( NOT BLOWING ANYTHING UP ) ???

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
you should get at least an idler pulley for optimum belt wrap

but my .02 for a completely bone stock car would be:

- catback
- intake
- pulley/idlers
- tune
- drag radials
- diff cover brace (or cover)
- x pipe (if any money left over)

congrats on the purchase and enjoy!!

MIKE PAPAS

Established Member
you should get at least an idler pulley for optimum belt wrap

but my .02 for a completely bone stock car would be:

- catback
- intake
- pulley/idlers
- tune
- drag radials
- diff cover brace (or cover)
- x pipe (if any money left over)

congrats on the purchase and enjoy!!

Thank you...would that billet flow pulley be good or you recommend something else ?

Rambro

Established Member
Ported blower
Pulley
Intake
Tune
Drag radials
Boost A pump
IRS brace

Honestly the first thing you need to do to a vert are subframe connectors. Then save up a little more later on for a nitrous kit and some injectors and you'll have a pretty serious cobra on your hands.

Last edited:

quad

Established Member
Im not looking to take it to the track... but to have a little more juice when I need it... With 500 to special 550 RWHP .. I be really happy.. Also I like to hear the supercharger as loud as possible..lol.. And by the way..i like to do something about that wheel hop..

Best thing to cure wheel hop is full length sub frame connectors, a FTBR kit and good tires.

FTBR Mustang Cobra IRS Parts

A CAI, Pulley and Tune will be a cheap way to get you to 450 rwhp.

I think it will cost you around 3.5 - 4k for all this.

quad

Established Member
Hi guys... First I like to introduce my self. My name is Mike and am from S.E. Iowa. I Just purchase my 2003 COBRA CONVERTIBLE w/ only 2500 miles.. It been setting at a claimant controlled garage...lol..and I love it.

I have about $3.000 to spend, and I want to get as much HP as possible for that money.. Most of you all ready been there, done it, try it out all ready, so you know exactly what work the best and didn't...If you hade that money to spend on a complete stock 03 COBRA what mods would you do to gain the most HP out of it ??? Thanks in advance.

Btw, congrats with the Convertible - that was a rare find! 2500 miles and climate controlled?!

gabe1530

Banned
first off, congrats!
now, save up some more cash... once you start its all downhill. the modbug will bite you hard and drain your bank account. do a lot of research here. the questions have been asked a million times and we are here to help. the market section can be your new best friend for finding good deals on almost all the parts listed below. just take your time and do your research. you can always PM me, ill be glad to help you out. i recommend looking at lethal performance for price matching parts and some parts you will want to buy brand new. another hint is looking at the terminator for sale section to see what other people have done. a lot of guys on here post all their mods and power they made. its a good cheat sheet.
there is a lot to this and every part that im listing compliments each other. once you go further than upper pulley only on the stock eaton (unported blower), you need these. I recommend starting by just buying the upper only (2.76 billetflow), cold air intake, catback and have it tuned. you will see awesome power gains (will be in the 460hp range) and you can learn how to control the cobra. once you get used to it, you can add the following:

ported blower:
500ish hp = upper pulley only. 2.76/2.8
525+ hp = upper and aftermarket lower combo. 3.0 upper/4lb lower

what you need power wise:
ported blower
ported inlet
ported tb or single blade throttle body
upgraded maf (either mafia or sct, whichever your tuner prefers)
intake (either ram air or full cold air, i prefer the jlt high boost gen 2 cai)
60lb injectors
boost a pump
catback exhaust of your choice
midpipe of your choice

cooling:
160 tstat
bigger intercooler tank
bigger heat exhanger
head cooling mod

suspension/traction:
h&r race springs
full length sub frame connectors
irs brace
drag radials of your choice
full tilt boogie racing delrin bushing kit (optional, but one of the best mods you can do)

MIKE PAPAS

Established Member
first off, congrats!
now, save up some more cash... once you start its all downhill. the modbug will bite you hard and drain your bank account. do a lot of research here. the questions have been asked a million times and we are here to help. the market section can be your new best friend for finding good deals on almost all the parts listed below. just take your time and do your research. you can always PM me, ill be glad to help you out. i recommend looking at lethal performance for price matching parts and some parts you will want to buy brand new. another hint is looking at the terminator for sale section to see what other people have done. a lot of guys on here post all their mods and power they made. its a good cheat sheet.
there is a lot to this and every part that im listing compliments each other. once you go further than upper pulley only on the stock eaton (unported blower), you need these. I recommend starting by just buying the upper only (2.76 billetflow), cold air intake, catback and have it tuned. you will see awesome power gains (will be in the 460hp range) and you can learn how to control the cobra. once you get used to it, you can add the following:

ported blower:
500ish hp = upper pulley only. 2.76/2.8
525+ hp = upper and aftermarket lower combo. 3.0 upper/4lb lower

what you need power wise:
ported blower
ported inlet
ported tb or single blade throttle body
upgraded maf (either mafia or sct, whichever your tuner prefers)
intake (either ram air or full cold air, i prefer the jlt high boost gen 2 cai)
60lb injectors
boost a pump
catback exhaust of your choice
midpipe of your choice

cooling:
160 tstat
bigger intercooler tank
bigger heat exhanger
head cooling mod

suspension/traction:
h&r race springs
full length sub frame connectors
irs brace
drag radials of your choice
full tilt boogie racing delrin bushing kit (optional, but one of the best mods you can do)

Yes... I been looking around and checking on doing a few stuff to it... and my god can you rap some money on those cars..lol I owned a few ROUSH STAGE 3 and older cobra, and that's why the all remain original..lol.. Takes allot of money to play..

Users who are viewing this thread