3.4 and lower questions

lxhatch302

Established Member
im looking into setting up from the 2.3 to a 3.4 and was wondering how what lowers is everyone running..

i was thinkin of just getting a stock ring for my metco kit but now that ive been thinking about the amount of stress the 3.4 will put on the lower it might not be the greatest idea...

Was thinking the stock lower would be better but i remember reading about someone destroying their crank from the about of trq the 3.4 made on the stock lower and some how tightened up itself to the point of pulling the crank forward...

cobracide

Established Member
23-25lbs is all that i plan on ever doing...

Good medium boost level, get the caged lower. John is setting up a second run so get him in the thread above. These lowers are great quality and are the only larger lowers to add boost WITH a cage. Great peace of mind on that whole crank deal.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
You dont need a caged lower. All the problems Ive ever seen is from a 3.4 car with a caged lower.

If the OP is going for 25 psi then you dont have to even change the lower.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
I laugh every time I read people saying Metco Kits destroy Crankshafts.

If you use a Manual tensioner, then yes it can lead to problems.
Spring tensioner, not a chance.

lxhatch302

Established Member
Ya I don't plan on going any higher than 25lbs on a stock engine with the 3.4.

I was just unsure with the amount of trq the 3.4 will produce if the metco lower would be safe or be best to go back to the stock caged lower since its not as supported as stock

I'm going to call whipple for a last opinion on the subject...

Ironhand

Banned
Ya I don't plan on going any higher than 25lbs on a stock engine with the 3.4.

I was just unsure with the amount of trq the 3.4 will produce if the metco lower would be safe or be best to go back to the stock caged lower since its not as supported as stock

I'm going to call whipple for a last opinion on the subject...

Im using a Metco lower with my 5.4 and 3.4 Crusher car. If I ever get it up and running then Ill be able to tell you how much power it'll take. Im looking for north of 900rwhp. I gotta get back to FL to put it back together tho.

yfzkevin

Established Member
I have a 4lb lower on my car with a whipple 3.4 crusher. Everything still seems to be good to go. I just pulled the motor apart this past weekend because I had a head gasket issue and everything is still looking just like when I put it on.

Users who are viewing this thread