3.73's FTMFW

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Since I picked up my new '12 yesterday I've been trying to put some miles on it while the roads are dry and I've got some time.

My '11 had the standard 3.31 axle ratio and the new car carries the 3.73 axle ratio.

Combined with the close ratio 6 speed, I really feel that the 3.73 compliments this car greatly. It's much more immediate and feels much lighter on it's feet.

Now, I know the drag guys don't really like this gear because of the extra shift you've got to do at the end of the strip.

Fortunately, I'm more of a road racer, and these gears back getting in to the meet of the powerband much better without switching down. Can't wait to get this baby out on track!

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
Don't worry about the 3.73's on the 1/4. Put a 28 inch tire on the back and you cross the stripes in 4th no problem. I have 27.5 inch radials and haven't had to shift to 5th.

Can't wait to get this car on a road course...

-Ant

Erich

Established Member
For regular driving feel, I thought the 3.73s felt much snappier than the 3.31s. Also in 6th on the highway, it is not dead with the 3.73s. RPMs in 6th with 3.73s are the same as my 97 with a T45, 3.73s in 5th. About 2000 rpm at 60-65 mph.
Erich

StangLoveR

Established Member
Interesting! I've been open tracking my '11 with 3.73's and have not been very fond of them - both before and definitely after the blower! Running out of gear on the straights is obnoxious (meaning topping out 4th and having to waste time to shift to 5th just for a second, which isn't worth it) - GRR!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Interesting! I've been open tracking my '11 with 3.73's and have not been very fond of them - both before and definitely after the blower! Running out of gear on the straights is obnoxious (meaning topping out 4th and having to waste time to shift to 5th just for a second, which isn't worth it) - GRR!

That's a drag racing approach to an open track situation.

In open track racing you want highest average speed, not highest indicated speed.

The lower rear gears helps you get to speed quicker on the straights, while slightly limiting top actual speed. What they make up for in acceleration out of the corners and in the short straights is why road racers run lower gearing at the expense of top speed.

Erich

Established Member
I think it is all in the application. The motor is not peaky so you can see why in many cases lower numerical gears could be an advantage.
For me, I am talking unmodified daily driving.
Erich

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member

Get a Boss intake and spin it higher so you don't have to shift :rolling:

StangLoveR

Established Member
That's a drag racing approach to an open track situation.

In open track racing you want highest average speed, not highest indicated speed.

The lower rear gears helps you get to speed quicker on the straights, while slightly limiting top actual speed. What they make up for in acceleration out of the corners and in the short straights is why road racers run lower gearing at the expense of top speed.

I hear you...that being said, I think the 3.73's are not ideal for my application, at least for the tracks I've been on - and also remember, the car is making ~500 at the wheels. I'm switching to 3.55's as soon as I can.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I hear you...that being said, I think the 3.73's are not ideal for my application, at least for the tracks I've been on - and also remember, the car is making ~500 at the wheels. I'm switching to 3.55's as soon as I can.

if they are talking $6 a gallon for gas by June im going to 3.27 gear or bigger

2011redcandy

Established Member
I am thinking of going the PD blower route in the next month or two and currently have 4.10s in my 6spd. I am unsure whether to put in 3.55 or 3.73 with around 620rwhp. Looking at this thread it appears 3.55 will be the way to go.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
if they are talking $6 a gallon for gas by June im going to 3.27 gear or bigger

That high of fuel prices would be such a huge shock that it would drive the economy back in to recession. before that ever happens, believe that the government will start tapping it's strategic oil reserves and pump product in to the market to pull the price down. Especially considering it's an election year.

Anyway, I actually manage better fuel mileage with lower gearing because of the roads and speeds I drive at.

All the roads near me are 40 or 45 mph. Not quite fast enough to effectively drive in 6th with my previous 3.31 equipped car. however with the 4.10's I had in my 08 and the 3.73's in this '12, I can drive in 6th gear on these roads which brings my effective city consumption down.

mikestoyz

Established Member
I can't imagine any steeper gear than my stock 3.31
I'm constantly skipping gears because it's so close. Starting in second is easy enough with them too. To each his own I guess.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
how do the 3.31 vs 3.73 compare in top end acceleration?

say 2 identically set up cars one with 3.31 and one with 3.73...who would pull better?

Last edited:

implosive

Established Member
I would never trade out my 373s before my blower, and definitely not after either. When I was looking for a 5.0 I test drove a standard 331 gear and the car felt heavy. The 373s made the car feel a lot lighter especially going around in traffic. The 373s with the blower make this thing a monster at part throttle tip in. if your worried about shifting into 5th just throw taller tire on, or like someone else said boss intake and raise the limiter a couple hundred rpm. Best of both worlds imo

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Congrats on the new car an the 373s in stock fourm the 3.73 are the best gear out of the box for the street.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
I testdrove a 3.31 car and didn't like it. I thought at first there was something wrong with the car. Then I drove a 3.73 car...and ended up buying it! Couldn't be happier. It's awesome being able to pass people in sixth on the highway. Off the line snap is also great.

Users who are viewing this thread