3 Batteries in 1 year??!

Birdys03Cobra

Established Member
Has this happened to anyone else before? Ive gone about a week and a half without starting my car, and i went to start it last night just to warm it up, and its dead. This is the 3rd time my battery has died and wont even hold a charge. Its snowy weather here in CT so i dont drive it, but its kept in a heated garage at 50 degrees full time, not sure whats going on, but im getting sick of buying new batteries every few months :shrug:

Jefe

Established Member
Gotta be the Alternator, had it tested?

Birdys03Cobra

Established Member
The alternator is fine, its been tested. Im not sure whats going on, i know the "theft" light blinks constantly, but i dont see how in a week and a half, it kills my battery. going on 3 is pretty bad, im not sure what else to do. Ive asked mechanics and theyve told me it must be somethng electronic thats always on, but it cant be. The only thing i can think of is my alarm, but its not on, its off in my garage, but when i go to try and boost it, you can hear it go off in a very light sound. its odd

GotBst10th

Established Member
when you say the theft light is always on is it on when you are trying to start the car? if thats the case the trunk might be open with the blub inside being on.

Birdys03Cobra

Established Member
when you say the theft light is always on is it on when you are trying to start the car? if thats the case the trunk might be open with the blub inside being on.

No, it shuts off when trying to start the car, but when i close my door and leave the car, locked or not, the Theft light is always blinking..is that supposed to happen?

GotBst10th

Established Member
hmm sounds bizzare do you unlock it with the key fob or just the key itself? try using the fob to open everything doors and trunk then close everything back up and try it. i know before when i went to start mine i had opend the trunk with the key and the theft light was acting up. :shrug:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
you need to do an amp draw test and see where your short is at. sounds like a parasitic drain from something not turning off.

GotBst10th

Established Member
just went and checked it when its unlocked it still blinks. make sure you dont have a radar detector or something else pluged in lol sounds stupid but its sometimes over looked. other than that just like brian97 said do the amp test on it.

Birdys03Cobra

Established Member
Ok, glad to know it always blinks, no radar detector, i have a sound system but i pull the deck out when i leave my car, Ill have to do the amp test as Brian said, hope it works out

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Ive asked mechanics and theyve told me it must be somethng electronic thats always on, but it cant be. The only thing i can think of is my alarm,

There are alot more electronics than just your alarm...

PCM, CCRM, GEM, FPDM, etc

DEVIL

Established Member
Friend of mine has a GT, battery was going dead in it. He traced it down to a tiny break in the wire going to the lighter socket. was grounding the hot wire just enough but not enough to blow the fuse!

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
same thing this weekend to me... I DD it and when I was getting ready to leave for work (always at the WRONG time) it went click...click.. I put the charger on it and then I heard the sub in the trunk "shaking"

the amp that runs the sub has cables that run straight to the battery and has an additional lead that goes to the radio, when the radio is on the amp should turn on, when radio is off the amp SHOULD be off... was not the case with me.... don't know if you have an amp/sub and it's run straight to the battery but youo could check that..

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
my problem was the ccrm, battery drained in 1 week.
two circuits were constantly opened we found out.
i used a friend and a volt meter and pulled one fuse at a time

eXs Vp

03 dSg CoBrA
Established Member
Yup i was gonna say it could be the system. if you have one. I had an indash, one 10" sub, and a 1000 watt sony xplode in mine. Worked fine for about a week, then i started having the 'dead battery problem'. When i shut the car off, somehow the radio was draining the battery. Everything looked like it turned off but idk till this day how or why this would happen. Long story short, i bought a new battery, new alternator, and took out the system. Everything works fine now..

03DOHC

Established Member
It is also worth mentioning that if your car is going to sit it might behoove you to get a battery tender. They are easy enough to plug and unplug and cost way less than replacing a battery. Of course you should still locate and fix your current draw problem.

Users who are viewing this thread