3 piece idler set and belt slip

rsilver

Established Member
Hi, I have spent a lot of time searching this with no luck, so sorry if the question has already been asked. My 04 is stock except for sig. I would do a 2.93 or 2.76 upper pulley but i have read most guys get belt slip without the 4 piece idler set. I want to keep the stock belt cage, so don't want to go to a stub idler or modify the cage. ( just my preference) If I go with a 3.2 or 3.1 upper pulley would the addition of the 3 piece idler set with the 100mm Idlers eliminiate belt slip? It seems that that 2-100mm idlers in the the set would improve belt wrap, but is it enough? Could I even go to a smaller pulley with these idlers? Thanks for clearing this up for me....bob

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I have 0 belt slip with a 2.76 upper and all the billetflow idlers with a good belt...each car is a little different, though...

twhitey

Established Member
I run a 2.76 with an upper idler. There is a guy local that runs a very tight belt and swears he has no belt slip with a 2.76, you could always try his theory. Another guy runs an 8lb lower and stock upper. Another option for you to try

rsilver

Established Member
03 cobra, thanks for that link. I had seen it before during my research and that convinced me to get new idlers, even with a stock pulley. so it sounds like the bigger idlers won't really help with belt slip. As i mentioned I want to keep the stock belt cage, so can't use the stub idler and I don't want to run the belt real tight. I use this car for long cruises to bum f*** nowhere and its got to be as bullet proof as possible in a variety of conditions where help is a long long way away. Given the slip issues, do you guys think I am ok with the 3.20 upper or could I go to the 3.10? thanks again for the help, i don't normally post a lot, I just read a lot................bob

rsilver

Established Member
cobra 694, do you mean you won't see much between a 3.1 vs 3.2 pulley or just in general you won't see much form the larger pulleys. I looked it up on the FYI list and the chart shows a 3.1 or 3.2 would be in the 12# of boost range. I know its just a chart, but if stock it 8 to 9 psi and i could get another 2 pounds, it might get me in the 425hp range . I even thought about doing the steggy port with the above pulley and hope for 440 to 450 but don't know. Given i want to stay stock looking and reliability is top priority in the middle of nowhere, what do you think??

Users who are viewing this thread