300zx owners??

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
They arent light but i wouldnt say theyre portly especially by todays standards

Feather light by today's standards.

3,250 to 3,550. Highest weight being a TT Auto T-top.

Weight reduction is also easy to find.

Power Seats, Exhaust , Suspension, Crash beams, spare tire, etc. Converting to a 240SX front suspension is worth 50-75lbs right there.

It was popular for a while (when engines were $2k) to swap an SR20 and ditch the boat anchor VG30. Cars got down to 2,900lbs easy.

500whp 2,900lb Z32 > 400whp 3,500lb Z32

maxresdefault (1).jpg
sddefault.jpg
images (3).jpeg
1 (1).jpg
a32bf6e4ebc8030d43d8c148385fd2df.jpg

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Way back in the day a good friend had a 240z pretty quick back then. Then they got fat and other than the TT the 300 couldn’t keep up. I’ve always liked them and the 370 revived them.
They should have been at 400 hp fifteen years ago.IMHO they should be 100hp less than a basic GTR.
Would buy a 370 if I found a bargain, 6sp of course

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Z34 (370Z) is a collosal piece of shit and an eyesore. It was a utter sales failure. The Z33 (350Z) is Goshen's Savior that moved cars and had a profound impact on the tuning scene in the early 2000's. It's what gave Nissan the capital and balls to give us the R35 GTR.

Z33's are going to go down as a bigger classic then the Z32 ever will.

kaz109

Established Member
Are you dead set on a Z or would you consider a VR4? It was truly hard to beat what Mitsubishi was offering in the late 90s/Early 2000s

jshen

Established Member
I bought a 90 TT Z out of the showroom. First one in Savannah and I initially loved it BUT....My brother in law had a Z-shop and clued me in on issues....First, it did not put out 300 hp as advertised...Even the car mags said so.
Entirely too small clutch disc/pressure plate assembly and I went through 5 clutches in a few months...under warranty. MY Z weighed 4,000 lbs!!! Bro in law weighed it...Whoever said 3200 lbs are sadly mistaken. Nissan built a very weak bottom end and would not take power add ons.... Air intakes were 4 inches off the ground and in my area flooding is an issue. I went through less than 6 inch puddle and it toasted motor. Bent rods and 3 month wait to get engine from Japan...With damaged block..turbos had to be replaced and total bill for motor, turbos etc...$16,500....from dealer and insurance covered it. A/C was lousy and couldn't keep car cool. I could go on for an hour.. but it was a waist of money

jessie_sanders

Established Member
I bought a 90 TT Z out of the showroom. First one in Savannah and I initially loved it BUT....My brother in law had a Z-shop and clued me in on issues....First, it did not put out 300 hp as advertised...Even the car mags said so.
Entirely too small clutch disc/pressure plate assembly and I went through 5 clutches in a few months...under warranty. MY Z weighed 4,000 lbs!!! Bro in law weighed it...Whoever said 3200 lbs are sadly mistaken. Nissan built a very weak bottom end and would not take power add ons.... Air intakes were 4 inches off the ground and in my area flooding is an issue. I went through less than 6 inch puddle and it toasted motor. Bent rods and 3 month wait to get engine from Japan...With damaged block..turbos had to be replaced and total bill for motor, turbos etc...$16,500....from dealer and insurance covered it. A/C was lousy and couldn't keep car cool. I could go on for an hour.. but it was a waist of money
You could tell me I'd catch gonorrhea from it and I'd still want one. Probably.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Naw, just buy a 'vette at that point. The appeal of these 90's Japanese cars is the turbo 4s and 6s. Even the RX7, a lot of redneck stupidity around building powerful/reliable 13Bs. People freakout and want to drop a small block in it.

If your actually all hung up on making 1500whp and running 6s or having some gutted track car, plenty of cheaper chassis these days then building a $15k Z32 or $30K FD.

I mean, I get that, and yeah if I could ever afford an FD I'd want to keep the rotary as its kind of the point of the car.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I know a fellow here in town Phong who has a clean one thats been modified to around 500-600hp crank so it's not constantly at the shop. Per ray at the local JDM shop (my cousin has a good relationship with them after singlehandedly trying to save Mitsubishi US by buying VR4s as he had 4 3000GT VR4 and an SL at one point)
Ray tells him the 300ZX and the Mitsubishi 3000GTs are "the 2 worst cars to work on, but make me too much money to refuse nowadays."
His shop is a few blocks from the climate controlled shop my cousin has in town, rents the front out to pay for the rest, and keeps his boat and other thing there including a basically stock 3000GT VR4 (red silver stripes) and is on his 3rd or 4th chassis now and 10th engine (lost count) on his modded one he keeps next to his 98 Viper. Those damn Mitsubishi are jealous. He didn't drive it for about 5 weeks and the damn thing spun a rod bearing and lost oil pressure after starting it and they like to show a bit low at first, not this low, he drove it and it never came up, so while it ran the turbos and other parts had enough metal contamination to warrant a rebuild. Took about 3 years to rebuild this time as he tried to do more himself in his free time by getting a used NA short block with the forged crank allready. Then it was pull and teardown 2 engines, a machine shop taking their time, the typical fun... in the end he ended up slightly bigger turbos and full stand alone with cop conversion. Safe bet is probably 500hp crank as he did not go E85, fearing he'd keep building, though I keep telling him he should for the other benefits asside more boost, and pointing at my Mustang.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Im partial to the z32 but i do like the vr4s too

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I always liked the VR4's, it's amazing the same company that currently builds the car with the highest number of fatalities per accident (the mirage) once built a car so advanced as the 3000GT. One of my cousins had a SL 5spd years ago with a blown motor sitting behind the family funeral home. I think I dumped about 18 quarts of oil in the engine after a few oil changes because hey, gotta dispose of it somehow. Whoever bought that car probably got a real shock when they pulled the drain plug.

This exact VR4 used to live 3 blocks from where I grew up, I remember going through that neighborhood on my bike and seeing it in the garage. Was amazed when it popped up for sale on C&B last year

KDzGYpZE-SRFvmHiUJML.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread