315 MTDR's Vs. 315 Nitto (My conclusions)

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Over the past year I have ran on the streets with 315 Nitto's on the 17X9" rim and when it is warm out they hold in 2nd gear with the 2.93 upper and home port (470rwhp and 480rwtq)

Well I bought a set of 16X10 CCW's and put a new set of 315 MTDR's thinking that these would be my street rims with the odd trip to the track. Anyway, I bolted up the new tires /rims tonight and went for a ride tonight.

I drove for a while to heat the tires up a bit and then started from a stop sign and the tires broke loose in first more easily than they did with the Nitto's. I was a bit taken back. Went to my usual spot and took a 2nd gear roll from around 2800 rpms and punched it and my tires broke loose.:dw: My Nitto's would hold in the same scenario. Tried it again at least 3 more times with basically the same outcome. I think they only held once out of the 4 attempts.

Assumptions:
I was thinking I would have grip in first on the streets with the MTDR's:shrug:
I was thinking on the street the MTDR's would have way better grip than the Nitto's.

Conclusions:
On the streets on my car the MTDR's have less grip than my Nitto's.
It could be that the reduced weight of the CCW rims is having a small impact upon my traction?

So what are others opinions who have ran both tires. I am hoping that the MTDR's have way better grip at the track or else I made a huge mistake buying these tires.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Interesting Kel......And I think a little backwards from the normal scenario with these two types of drag radials. The MT's definately have a softer rubber compound and generally provide better straight line traction on both the street and the track. The Nittos are considered a better all around drag radial with a harder rubber that will generally last longer and will perform better in the twisties because of a stiffer sidewall.

One thing you did mention is that the Nittos would hold fine in second gear when it's warm out and the trials you did with the MT's was at night. Cold air/pavement can be a killer for traction with drag radials and I'm assuming the April evening air in Canada can't be too warm? Could this have something to do with it Kel?

And the wider 16" MT's should also have an advantage over the narrower 17" Nittos. Wouldn't you think?

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I'm sure the weather played a huge role in traction, there is no way a Nitto DR hooked better than a Nitto. You also have to remember how much our blowers love cold weather.

04torchred

Established Member
What was the temp Kelly? I have to think either the road was cold or there is still dust and crap on the top of the road surface screwing with your traction. Also what air pressure did you have?

Another thing is how wide are the 315 MT on that 10" rim? If the rim is fairly close to tire width you might have stiffened the sidewall enough that it is having trouble biting, but I doubt it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Kel, I was going to mention the air temperature as well. And I would think that air pressure is a factor, too. At the track, with better conditions (ie. temps) and with proper air pressure in the MTs I would expect better results. I think your next trip to the track might yield different results. JMO.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
The MTDR's are on a 16X10" rim. The weather for the past week has been the same here. Plus I drove the Nitto's the night before and all week with the same results. Also I know the limits of the Nitto's very well as I have been running them for over a year. Therefore, I do know that the weather / road surface temp was not the issue.

This morning before work I took a look at my contact patch and noted that I didn't have a full contact patch. Similar to what I saw with the Nitto 315's on the stock rim. So I know my contact patch at the track would be wider when I dropped the pressure.

I had 28.5 psi in the rear tires last night.

Considerign that the tires are brand new, I was wondering if they have a short period to break in?

I will check again over the next few days. But based upon my experience last night I am perplexed.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Thanks for the input.

Is there anyone out there (beside me LOL) who thought they had better grip on the streets with their Nitto's over the MTDR's?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Kel I put 15,000 on my Nittos and thought they were very good on the street for a drag radial. Average at the track. I also ran 275 MT's but only at the track and they were superior to the Nittos but nowhere hear what a DOT or full slick can do.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
UPDATE.

Well I took the car out again at 0800 this morning. It was much cooler than it was when I first ran the MTDR's (today IAT1 = 52 ; original day of test IAT1 = 79-80). I drove for a bit to warm up the car and tranny and decided to retest my grip. So I came to a stop and proceeded to start in first gear and the car actually bogged! Which has never happened with my nitto's. I was thinking what the heck is going on as it is cooler out today than it was on Thursday yet I all of a sudden have awesome grip. Same tire pressures etc.

So I did a full run from a compelte stop and these tires hook absolutely awesome in first and I could not break them free at all in second.

I am so confused right now. Do the tires have some type of coating or surface on them when you first use them that needs to be worn off?

Eitherway I now have no doubt these tires are going to hook awesome at the track. Just have to think about putting in my new clutch now as I smelled it pretty bad after my 1-2 gear runs.

I will continue to check out my grip over the next week or so.

However, my new conclusions: 315 MTDR's = awesome grip.

Last edited:

tr04mach

Established Member
I've always been told that the tires need a couple hundred miles of street driving to get the coated fully off. They use the coating to keep the tires from rotting while they're being stored. I'm sure that was likely your problem. A good burnout or a couple hundred miles and they should be much better.

Dynotune04

The Turtle
Established Member
Thanks for the input.

Is there anyone out there (beside me LOL) who thought they had better grip on the streets with their Nitto's over the MTDR's?

my mt 275's 17's hook in 1st when its warm out. im a 2.80 pulley making 460.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Yea, you are supposed to do multiple burnouts or drive for a while before the M/T's will hook.

M/T ET Street radials hook a LOT better than the Nitto's I had.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Yea, you are supposed to do multiple burnouts or drive for a while before the M/T's will hook.

M/T ET Street radials hook a LOT better than the Nitto's I had.

Okay, sort of what I was thinking b/c they hook unreal now.

QWKRN U

1 0f 72 Build #159
Established Member
its odd so many complain about the nitto's. I can get my car to almost dead hook on the street with the whipple. 2nd doesnt spin at all. Perhaps its Just Im lucky.

TrickStang37

Established Member
my nitto's on my old 5.0 sucked ass. when not heated up with a burnout, even regular street tires hooked better in all conditions, except for 90*+ weather, then the Nitto's matched the street tires.

Digital

Established Member
My nittos dont hold up over 500hp very well unless they are cooked before hand. I break them lose spraying in 3rd on the highway sometimes if its cold.

Users who are viewing this thread