350z's vs Mustang's open track?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
What I think is impressive on the weight of the cars Car and Driver tested is that the Z06 is lighter than the base Vette. It would be nice if Ford would follow their lead. The performance of the GT500 would be awesome on track at 3,450lbs.

Part of the reason it's $25K more! :-D

wheelhopper

Established Member
You'd think for the extra $15K retail that the GT500 costs Ford could find a way to drop a couple hundred pounds. Or at least distribute a little better.:rolling:

truebluecobra

Been there - Done that...
Established Member
I Don't know about all this over-heat talk??I am one of the Cobra's 9746 is talking about and have run Sebring 3 times with temps in the 80's and NEVER run into overheating or limp mode!!!Thats with running 120mph in the 3 short straights and 145 on the back straight and I run those speeds with the car in 4th gear never shifting ( 3.55 gears ) - so the car would go even faster with some aggressive driving.Sig has mods, the only thing I have added was an 5 row oil cooler mounted in line with the factory heat exchanger for the supercharger - yes Í'm running water thru the oil cooler but it seems to work great and bought it for $25 at a swap meet.I have SCT racers package tuning software and will monitor IAT temps at Daytona since I have never run there but really don't expect any problems - we shall see............

BlackStripes

Established Member
A couple of things...

i was very surprised that they say that the Mustang GT is 3500+ lbs, i have an 07 and the title says 3300+lbs. oh well.

Other thing is that the C&D took those cars to the 4.2 mile track, which is Grand Course. I have driven the grand course 3 times and it's not a HP track. It goes inside patriot... and the back straight is cut in 1/2 to take the bitch. I can see the 350Z being faster.

And the last thing is that they test cars in the exact way they came from factory and in the Mustang and the Z06, tires are a big problem. My 07 came with 235's!! WTF... and as you know vettes come with run-flats.

When I go to VIR or any track .. i can see at least 3x more Mustangs than 350Z's. Guess what? There is more likely one Mustang faster than all Z's. :) ... A lot of people do measurements based on HPDE's with people that you dont know, and that's not fair. If you are in HPDE1 or 2... believe me, the brand/model of the car is the last thing you should compare.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
I Don't know about all this over-heat talk??I am one of the Cobra's 9746 is talking about and have run Sebring 3 times with temps in the 80's and NEVER run into overheating or limp mode!!!Thats with running 120mph in the 3 short straights and 145 on the back straight and I run those speeds with the car in 4th gear never shifting ( 3.55 gears ) - so the car would go even faster with some aggressive driving.Sig has mods, the only thing I have added was an 5 row oil cooler mounted in line with the factory heat exchanger for the supercharger - yes Í'm running water thru the oil cooler but it seems to work great and bought it for $25 at a swap meet.I have SCT racers package tuning software and will monitor IAT temps at Daytona since I have never run there but really don't expect any problems - we shall see............

Alright, if your not worried with your 2.76 and minor cooling mod I should be okay too.

You have the head cooling mod too though don't you?

9746C

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I'll be down there Dec 9th, so I doubt it will be 80 degrees.

Still, everyone says it's the 140mph pulls over and over that kill these motors, and thats what I'll be doing. In 5th gear too because of my 4.10 gears.

I'll be using the boost on the infield too so there won't be much of a break. I was thinking of putting it in 6th at 140mph and keeping on the gas but out of boost. That would be it's only break.

I'm going to start another thread about 03's getting too hot during OT's.

9746C

140 MPH pulls do not burn up pistons. High EGTs from poor tuning burns up pistons.

Yes a 350Z track would destroy a 07 GT at almost any roadcourse drivers being equal. They have equal power, the Z is lighter and has better weight distribution with bigger brakes and better tires.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Found some info from the Nov 2006 Car & Driver.

They took 17 cars around VIR. Four drivers each drove four or five cars three to five laps each. Times and speeds were recorded for the Lap and in various sectors of the track.

Just to simply for this thread, here are the best times for a few of them. (4.2mi course)

Ford GT 3:00.7
Z06 3:01.1
Elise 3:09.2
Corvette 3:09.3
Caymen S 3:09.5
GT500 3:11
350z Track 3:12.5
Evo MR 3:13.5
RX-8 3:19
Cobalt SS 3:20.6
Mustang GT 3:20.6
Mazda Mx-5 3:29.3

9746C

And then the GT500 got hot and fell off by over 4 seconds right?

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
And then the GT500 got hot and fell off by over 4 seconds right?

Got a copy of the magazine. (Nov '06 Car & Driver)

It says, "The Shlby GT500 felt as if a horsepower theif were operating in the area. During our first stint, the 500-hp engine ran out of steam over 5000rpm and came in a disappointing 3:11.0. (I think thats a good time myself) Thinking the 95-degree heat had sapped it's energy, we gave the Shelby another shot later in the day, but the power loss felt even more pronouced and it's laps slowed. Ford says a pair of ignition coils and spark plugs had soured. Thats too bad since the GT500 had upgraded shocks and felt less like the two-ton monster it is. It'll get a retest later."

9746C

Last edited:

DouBLeJ16

Roadkill Lurker
Established Member
Hmm? Guess I need to go to a 350z board and ask them how they compare with Mustangs.

There's alot of good information here:
http://www.my350z.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=305

These number that you mentioned earlier in the thread seem to be correct:
350z Track 3:12.5
Mustang GT 3:20.6

But I wanted to point out the 2006 model 350Z is alot slower than the 2007 350Z in straight line and handling. (106-107mph trap speed with the '07s, and 100-102mph trap speeds with the '03-'06)

If you compared a 2007 GT mustang to a 2007 350Z the difference would be even greater.

With equal drivers, the 350Z should be ahead by alot in a road course.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Found some results from the 2007 Lightning Lap!

The corvette with Z51 package did a 3:03! The GT500 did a 3:05.9.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Car & Drivers web site says:

"There were no such discussions concerning the Ford Shelby GT500, which returned because bad ignition parts soured its visit to last year's s Lightning Lap. It's a strange car - it moves around obsessively when driven hard, with so much body roll and pitch that it's hard to believe it was designed to perform in such a manner. It is however, a safe car to drive fast because exceptionally predictable, is seemingly impossible to spin, and has brakes that hold up well. As long as the ambient tempeture is below 70 degrees, the Gt500 was fairly quick and posted a 3:05.9 lap. But when the tempeture climed to about 90 degrees, the engine started laying down, and the lap time lengthened by four seconds. None of the other cars was so affected by the heat.

Buyers are still apparently paying 10 grand over sticker for Gt500's, a phenomenon that continues to mystify us"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread