351W combo question

Hulk

Established Member
Hey, I have a '95 351W that will eventually be stroked to 393. But I don't want to buy top end parts twice. So I'm thinking AFR 185 or 205 heads, XE282HR cam, and Downs bread box with Lightning lower. I know this is not optimized for the stock 351W, but will it be total trash until I stroke it? Thanks!

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
hulk are you staying efi? im on the hunt for a 90's 351 roller block. planning on stroking to a 408 afr's trickflow stage 3 cam and a little laughing gas.

hoping it smacks my cobra around once its done :rockon:

Hulk

Established Member
Hey thanks guys. That's what I was looking for. Yes, I'll be using EFI, and maybe I'll rethink my intake, since I don't want to do it twice, and the Lightning piece is hard to come by...

crazycarlo

Established Member
My buddy and I are both looking to do 393's. yes I'd say some 215 or bigger heads. Look into the Trickflow Highports. Also I'd highly recommend in getting a custom cam from FTI. A billet cam is only like $300 and it's setup for your exact setup.

On my setup that's what I'll be doing with a Trickflow Box R intake.

Hulk

Established Member
So what do I need to know to get a custom grind? I know a bit about cams, but not enough to tell them angles, duration, etc. will they do this for me?

I've also heard a lot about the high port heads. What exactly is better? How do high ports flow differently? Just curious.

Thanks for all the input, I want this build to be exactly what I want the first time...

squeak93

Established Member
Any reputable cam grinder will be able to customize a can based upon your parts and intended use.

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
So what do I need to know to get a custom grind? I know a bit about cams, but not enough to tell them angles, duration, etc. will they do this for me?

I've also heard a lot about the high port heads. What exactly is better? How do high ports flow differently? Just curious.

Thanks for all the input, I want this build to be exactly what I want the first time...

when you go about ordering your custom cam, its alot like getting a mailorder tune. you explain to the cam manufacturer what your combo is. heads intake what displacement your running, rear gear ratio what stall converter you have if you have one.

trickflow has some awesome products i love their cams and thier 170cc wedge heads. i hear alot of good things about their highports.

buddy of mine has a 408, highports ,custom cam and a little 88 mm turbo it should be finished up here with in the next week.

GodStang

Established Member
Building a 351w right now. From my understanding 205s at the smallest. I am doing Victor Jr. 210cc for now.

Hulk

Established Member
I also have a different idea for the intake. I was wondering what it would take to mount a streetcatcher style (3 butterfly) scoop to an efi intake. Prob have to build an adapter. It will have to be speed density since there will be now MAF sensor, and since I don't want a hole in my cowl hood, I want to face the scoop backward, and put LED "eyes" inside it, so every time I go WOT, they blink at you as the beast roars...

Users who are viewing this thread